Eggs

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Eggs are just like any other food items you eat so what goes into the bird to create the egg is minimal when every penny in profit counts like the caged battery hens. Sure you can buy cheaper eggs but the product you are getting may be substantially reduced in nutrition if the birds are only being fed minimally. The difference between battery eggs and cage-free pasture raised eggs are huge and should make everyone take a hard look at their egg source.

Nutritional Value Of A Free Range Egg VS. Caged Hen Eggs…

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
And the chickens your small local provider raises cut back on laying in the winter. Cold or lack of sun, we went from 13 eggs a day to 4. Come March, we'll be back up to getting 13-18 eggs a day.

And I can't seem to give them away then. Right now, people are calling looking for eggs, but I only gots enough for me and mine.

I'm sure the big egg producing farms don't have this problem, they install lights and heaters.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ..

Ya know? With so many local farms, or at least areas that have lots of open land, I wonder why there aren't local people, farmers, that provide and sell eggs to our local stores?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

Ya know? With so many local farms, or at least areas that have lots of open land, I wonder why there aren't local people, farmers, that provide and sell eggs to our local stores?
Some do, but it crosses a line if you now have a farm big enough to supply stores on a contract basis rather than a handful of local customers. Larger farms, more regulations, etc.... and eventually you're doing just what the large farms do in order to make deliveries, lower quality feed, smaller areas....

TPD

the poor dad

I remember in the 70s & 80s my grandmother gathering and washing eggs everyday and grading them in her cellar. Then twice a week, my grandfather would load the eggs in his station wagon and deliver to the local stores. If there was an overflow, he took them to the farmers market auction in Charlotte Hall. They probably had 300-500 chickens at the time. Another local farmer not far from us did the same thing. Today, I don't know any local farmer doing this. Regulations have gotten in the way.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I remember in the 70s & 80s my grandmother gathering and washing eggs everyday and grading them in her cellar. Then twice a week, my grandfather would load the eggs in his station wagon and deliver to the local stores. If there was an overflow, he took them to the farmers market auction in Charlotte Hall. They probably had 300-500 chickens at the time. Another local farmer not far from us did the same thing. Today, I don't know any local farmer doing this. Regulations have gotten in the way.
I used to have a dozen chickens back in the 80s. The eggs were great, and I sold the excess for $1 a dozen to my co-workers. Eventually they all died off or were eaten by raccoons and foxes, so I just stopped doing that. I do miss the fresh eggs tho.

:lol: And one time, I noticed they weren't laying, nothing in the nest boxes. Couldn't figure out why. They appeared fine otherwise. Came time to clean the henhouse, looked inside, and found a HUGE pile of maybe 100 eggs underneath the nest boxes. :doh: Stupid hens.... stupid me.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
77h5pw.jpg

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

People want eggs for $1 to $2 a dz and the only way to do that is the way of battery cages apparently. If people want better conditions for the hens and better nutrition in their eggs then eggs are going to cost more. I can't even make my feed money back selling eggs at $3 a dz so I turned to selling hatching eggs of higher end breeds to make more money to cover the chicken expenses.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Eggs are just like any other food items you eat so what goes into the bird to create the egg is minimal when every penny in profit counts like the caged battery hens. Sure you can buy cheaper eggs but the product you are getting may be substantially reduced in nutrition if the birds are only being fed minimally. The difference between battery eggs and cage-free pasture raised eggs are huge and should make everyone take a hard look at their egg source.

Nutritional Value Of A Free Range Egg VS. Caged Hen Eggs…

All you have to do is crack a pasture raised egg and a factory egg next to each other and note the visible difference. It's not only nutritional value, but general appeal. Plus I enjoy eggs more knowing they came from happy chickens running around eating bugs and worms instead of caged miserable chickens eating gruel. Worth the extra money to me.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The current factory farms have been studied and designed by Temple Grandin. Most of the time the only time the ever see a cage is on the way to slaughter and even then the view and the amount of chickens in the cage are optimized for the least stress on the bird. All this being said, I’ve watched many chicken trucks going down the road and many times I’ve thought that chickens were the most miserable animals on god’s green earth. It’s gotten to the point that I don’t eat chicken when I’m on the eastern shore.

Blister

The current factory farms have been studied and designed by Temple Grandin. Most of the time the only time the ever see a cage is on the way to slaughter and even then the view and the amount of chickens in the cage are optimized for the least stress on the bird. All this being said, I’ve watched many chicken trucks going down the road and many times I’ve thought that chickens were the most miserable animals on god’s green earth. It’s gotten to the point that I don’t eat chicken when I’m on the eastern shore.
So is it ok to eat chicken on the western shore?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
And the chickens your small local provider raises cut back on laying in the winter. Cold or lack of sun, we went from 13 eggs a day to 4. Come March, we'll be back up to getting 13-18 eggs a day.

And I can't seem to give them away then. Right now, people are calling looking for eggs, but I only gots enough for me and mine.

I'm sure the big egg producing farms don't have this problem, they install lights and heaters.
My hens slowed down and several groups stopped laying but I've had enough eggs to sell a couple dz a week to one of the teachers at work. Laying has increased in the past week and I have 3 dz more to sell.

PeoplesElbow

My neighbor had free range chickens, they roamed the neighborhood, I actually loved watching them. I gave them some bread a few times and they ran toward me every time they saw me, but they never were pests, they always got out of my way when I was walking and mowing the grass, even the rooster was a pretty chilled out dude. The rooster did kick the hens out of the way when it wanted what they had though.