Eggs

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Thing is... eggs are still plentiful, there doesn't seem to be a shortage. Every store I've been in had ample supplies. The problem right now is the expense. The price will keep people from buying them, and there won't be any "extra" to hoard or freeze.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So how does the avian flu thing work. Do they just go to the big poultry farms and test, then kill everything if a positive is found? Is there a risk to the little places like the Amish farms?

How is avian flu even transmitted, escaped chickens turning up in other coups? Is it like Mad Cow and they feed chickens to other chickens? Do we have some chickenf*cker to blame?

Typically it is spread by wild birds but can also be spread at local chicken sales, livestock auctions, and by people.

How is Avian Flu Spread?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thing is... eggs are still plentiful, there doesn't seem to be a shortage. Every store I've been in had ample supplies. The problem right now is the expense. The price will keep people from buying them, and there won't be any "extra" to hoard or freeze.

I'm an egg person so I'll continue to buy them. Just like coffee - I'll sacrifice something else to have good coffee.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm an egg person so I'll continue to buy them. Just like coffee - I'll sacrifice something else to have good coffee.
Me too, I'm just not buying them in the same quantity, and look for bargains where I just grabbed whatever looked ok before.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So how does the avian flu thing work. Do they just go to the big poultry farms and test, then kill everything if a positive is found? Is there a risk to the little places like the Amish farms?

How is avian flu even transmitted, escaped chickens turning up in other coups? Is it like Mad Cow and they feed chickens to other chickens? Do we have some chickenf*cker to blame?
Yes if a positive test is found the USDA will kill every bird on the property ensuring proper disposal and they will go to neighboring farms to test their birds.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have my flock tested twice a year by the USDA and I am National Poultry Improvement Program (NPIP) Compliant which means my birds are regularly monitored and continue to test negative. Even small backyard flocks are required to be registered with the USDA in case of an outbreak so all poultry owners can be notified of important poultry related news.

Attachments

• BuffOrpingtonChickens.jpg
    BuffOrpingtonChickens.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 42

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just got back from the store. I got an 18 pack of pasture raised eggs for $6, and a dozen Eggland Best cage-free for $4. Prices appear to have come down significantly over just last week.

And no, bots, it's not because of Joe Biden because price corrections are only happening in some states, not ones run by Democrats.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just got back from the store. I got an 18 pack of pasture raised eggs for $6, and a dozen Eggland Best cage-free for $4. Prices appear to have come down significantly over just last week.

And no, bots, it's not because of Joe Biden because price corrections are only happening in some states, not ones run by Democrats.
That's a bit of good news. Hope it extends north to us here too.