Elderly dog,what to do?

buddscreekman

Have you thought about a muzzle..? It won't hurt the dog and he/she may growl and complain, but they won't be able to bite you while you groom....

June

No,I haven't. But that is a awesome idea.:buddies: Going to call all the vets we'v seen and tell them about this cool new thing. So it's called a muzzle,you say?

Rt235

We have an extremely old dog who has progressed to the point where grooming is near impossible. He can't hear or see very well,and is a known biter to everyone except my wife. She can do minimal things,like brushing,but beyond that,he will bite her as well. Our vet is not willing to prescribe Ace to him to allow us to groom him/clip nails,because she says it is a liability issue due to his age. I'm sure he is a risky one to sedate at his age,but I also think his quality of life comes before quantity. We want him to be given the meds,and are willing to accept the outcome if it isn't a good one. He is really in need of a shave down and nail trim,and we've asked three vets so far to no avail. Any suggestions? We don't want to put him to sleep. We've tried every groomer between here and Annapolis and he let them all know he will bite-so don't even bother giving groomer suggestions.

Contact Dr. Carl Brown, Calvert Animal Hospital. He was very good with our collie mix, who could be very fractious at times. He even cleaned up our cat from he!!. Give him a call and good luck with your dog who you seem to love and care for a great deal!

ladyhawk

No,I haven't. But that is a awesome idea.:buddies: Going to call all the vets we'v seen and tell them about this cool new thing. So it's called a muzzle,you say?

Okay so I didn't read through the entire post.. You slammed me before I even had a chance to apologize and offer sympathy...

Sir~ You are truly and ass

mamatutu

mama to two
All I did was suggest someone that was really good with elderly dogs. Sorry I tried to help. Do you have a problem with someone that may be able to work with your dog and get the job done to make him more comfortable without risking his life with an anesthesia?

I think I will share "peace frog" on this thread. He understands the concepts of empathy and compassion that some members are extending to you, Budd; and, at the same time, he understands the deep feelings that you have for your dog; as in sadness and anger because it is "time". Peace frog is very wise.

Edit: Peace frog posted his reply before he saw you were calling other members "tards", and acting like it is the world's fault your dog is going to expire soon. I will speak for peace frog...you really need to think next time before you start a new thread. This is really good advice considering I currently hold the title of "freakout queen" on this forum.

Attachments

• frog.JPG
    frog.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

buggin

I agree, think it's time to put that dog down, just to save if from the owners.

Melatonian might help. You may want to ask your vet first but I know dogs can take it. You can buy it in any grocery store. It comes in 3 or 5 grams so the dosage would depend on his weight. If he is sleepy he may be easier to manage. Just a thought.

Last edited:

acommondisaster

Maybe you could find a new groomer who will use a soft muzzle. There might be a few vets who would consider grooming, or maybe you could find one that will sedate the dog, though sedation is always risky at that age. Maybe you could find one that would let you sign a consent form, in case something happens. If not, be sure to have the groomer trim the dog's nails while they've got the muzzle on him for the shavedown.

Have a blessed weekend, and good luck with your dog.

Roman

Somewhere in the Cat Section I think, I wrote about this old Cat we Adopted last year, he had Dread Locks, he was so matted. I called Calvert Well Pet Clinic, and asked if they could Sedate, and Shave him. He is a total FREAK at the Vets anyway. They told me they would be happy to do that, although, they reminded me they weren't Groomers. You wouldn't know it, because he looked like he was Professionally done, right down to the Pom-Pom on his tail. I had them clip his nails too, and in 3 months, he'd be ready for his Shots, so they did that too. I walked out of there having only spent $79.00. This cat is between 14, and 17 years old too. (The owner said he was 17, and the Vet said 14)

buddscreekman

Somewhere in the Cat Section I think, I wrote about this old Cat we Adopted last year, he had Dread Locks, he was so matted. I called Calvert Well Pet Clinic, and asked if they could Sedate, and Shave him. He is a total FREAK at the Vets anyway. They told me they would be happy to do that, although, they reminded me they weren't Groomers. You wouldn't know it, because he looked like he was Professionally done, right down to the Pom-Pom on his tail. I had them clip his nails too, and in 3 months, he'd be ready for his Shots, so they did that too. I walked out of there having only spent $79.00. This cat is between 14, and 17 years old too. (The owner said he was 17, and the Vet said 14)

We've already tried Well Pet in Waldorf and they wouldn't sedate. Is Calvert different people? As in different workers who won't recognize us as being the same ones they already said no to?

frequentflier

happy to be living
You may want to try Rescue Remedy which takes the edge off the dog without completely doping him up and knocking him out.

KDENISE977

We have an extremely old dog who has progressed to the point where grooming is near impossible. He can't hear or see very well,and is a known biter to everyone except my wife. She can do minimal things,like brushing,but beyond that,he will bite her as well. Our vet is not willing to prescribe Ace to him to allow us to groom him/clip nails,because she says it is a liability issue due to his age. I'm sure he is a risky one to sedate at his age,but I also think his quality of life comes before quantity. We want him to be given the meds,and are willing to accept the outcome if it isn't a good one. He is really in need of a shave down and nail trim,and we've asked three vets so far to no avail. Any suggestions? We don't want to put him to sleep. We've tried every groomer between here and Annapolis and he let them all know he will bite-so don't even bother giving groomer suggestions.

What are you considering to be his "quality of life"? Is he a "known biter" just for grooming reasons or is this is normal? Are you keeping him alive for you or for him? Just asking?

buddscreekman

What are you considering to be his "quality of life"? Is he a "known biter" just for grooming reasons or is this is normal? Are you keeping him alive for you or for him? Just asking?

If that baby on your av was blind or deaf,would you consider it still having "quality of life"? When it misbehaves,would you put it up for adoption? Did you not abort for you or for him? Whether or not our dog deserves to live by your standards isn't what I asked,and frankly to ask what we consider a quality of life,and to imply we are selfishly sustaining him is insulting.