Elderly dog,what to do?

KDENISE977

If that baby on your av was blind or deaf,would you consider it still having "quality of life"? When it misbehaves,would you put it up for adoption? Did you not abort for you or for him? Whether or not our dog deserves to live by your standards isn't what I asked,and frankly to ask what we consider a quality of life,and to imply we are selfishly sustaining him is insulting.

:killingme I don't know why I bothered, I expected nothing less from your response. I'm sorry for your poor dog, not for you.

buddscreekman

:killingme I don't know why I bothered, I expected nothing less from your response. I'm sorry for your poor dog, not for you.

I'm sorry for you going through life thinking other people need you to second guess them. Maybe one day when you are old and inconvenient you'll get what you have coming.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I'm sorry for you going through life thinking other people need you to second guess them. Maybe one day when you are old and inconvenient you'll get what you have coming.

Then you should just delete this thread, it's obvious you're not going to take anyone's advice, you're just looking for someone who can give you the name of a vet that will take the responsibility of sedating your dog and possibly killing it. Here's an idea, GOOGLE!

KDENISE977

I'm sorry you are upset and defensive. People get defensive when they know they are wrong.

mamatutu

mama to two
If that baby on your av was blind or deaf,would you consider it still having "quality of life"? When it misbehaves,would you put it up for adoption? Did you not abort for you or for him? Whether or not our dog deserves to live by your standards isn't what I asked,and frankly to ask what we consider a quality of life,and to imply we are selfishly sustaining him is insulting.

Budd, you really need to calm down; everyone on this thread is trying to help you, and I know some, as myself, have recently lost their pets, so... Like I said in an earlier posting; I totally get your pain; I was beside myself when Cookie and Oreo died. But, in the same turn, that is a really low blow to talk about KDenise's baby in that way. Yes, pets are part of a family, and we miss them like he$$, but, the perspective here is, pets do not in any way equate to a family member. Just sayin'. I hope you work through this stressful time. I mean that. :huggy:

Rt235

I'm sorry you are upset and defensive. People get defensive when they know they are wrong.

I think you meant to say that people get upset and defensive when you attack someone they love by telling them to kill them.

This man loves his dog despite its faults, and wants the best for him.
I would think you would understand that and try to have some compassion.

Quality of life is different for everyone, pets, animals included. Give him a break and try to comprehend his situation.

Thank You.

KDENISE977

I think you meant to say that people get upset and defensive when you attack someone they love by telling them to kill them.

Quality of life is different for everyone, pets, animals included. Give him a break and try to comprehend his situation.

Thank You.

Let me first say, I HAVE been in his situation. For anyone who has been on these forums for a while, they'd know that.

mamatutu

mama to two

Thank You.

It helps me to talk about this subject, as I am still in the grieving process. Yes, Budd, loves his dog, and all of us on this thread have compassion for him. Quality of life, and when to end it is a personal decision. We are giving Budd a break, but he will have a "lightbulb moment", when he realizes it is time, and knows the most loving thing he can do for his dog is let him sleep forever. Trust me...I am crying right now while I type this. Maybe this will help...We had both our dogs cremated and they came home in beautiful wooden boxes. They are in their respective spots under our bed where they slept every night for 14 years. Some might say that is morbid and weird; others will say that is great and wonderful. I am just saying I totally get how Budd feels, but he needs to be kinder to members trying to help him. That's all.

JoeR

Then you should just delete this thread, it's obvious you're not going to take anyone's advice, you're just looking for someone who can give you the name of a vet that will take the responsibility of sedating your dog and possibly killing it. Here's an idea, GOOGLE!

Your 100% right BayKat. I read through this post earlier today and now I have to say something since he's taken his attacks on those who don't agree with him to a real personal level. I'm sure you've noticed the only ones he attacks are those that don't agree with him. I've got a feeling we're not getting the whole story. And you right I also believe that he only wants to find a vet who'll make a decision he doesn't want to. I know the feeling of having to make that hard decision 6 years ago with our 16 year old golden retriever. She also was blind, deaf and had a number of problems. Our vet layed it out that he could do many things for her, but it wouldn't help her in the long run and were we only doing to make us feel better. It was the hardest decision we ever made.

KDENISE977

Thank You.

NO ACTUALLY, I MEANT WHAT I SAID. NO INTERPRETATIONS WERE NEEDED. thanks though.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Your 100% right BayKat. I read through this post earlier today and now I have to say something since he's taken his attacks on those who don't agree with him to a real personal level. I'm sure you've noticed the only ones he attacks are those that don't agree with him. I've got a feeling we're not getting the whole story. And you right I also believe that he only wants to find a vet who'll make a decision he doesn't want to. I know the feeling of having to make that hard decision 6 years ago with our 16 year old golden retriever. She also was blind, deaf and had a number of problems. Our vet layed it out that he could do many things for her, but it wouldn't help her in the long run and were we only doing to make us feel better. It was the hardest decision we ever made.

I'm sorry for your loss. I too lost a pet in August. He was young, not even 3 when his kidneys started failing, they couldn't find the reason and nothing they tried would help. I made that extremely hard decision. I know the pain of losing a pet, but when you can't make them better or younger, you just have to let go.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
OMG. at 3? What breed and what were the vets diagnosis? That's horrible? I lost my Chloe to a spinal cord cancer and came home to one day, find she was paralyzed from the neck down, it was horrible. Losing dogs is just so horrible. My mother in law only adopts dogs in shelters that are old, she figures no one else will take them, god bless her heart !

:huggy: kat, and :yay: to your mom-in-law, kdenise! So sorry that you would have to come home to your dog in that condition..quite traumatic. My Cookie has been gone for 6 mos. and My Oreo for 3 weeks. It helps so much to talk about it, because if you try to talk about the lovees with fam, everyone just starts crying; but, to help each other through chat on the forum is a huge help. The circle of life, and all that. We just have to remember our pets had a wonderful life, especially, the pound puppies/kitties!

KDENISE977

And I will include buddscreekman's dog in my evening prayers. I hope this poor dog finds peace.

Rt235

Let me first say, I HAVE been in his situation. For anyone who has been on these forums for a while, they'd know that.

I highly doubt you HAVE been in his situation.
Do you know him or his dog?
Have you spent time with him, his wife and his dog?
Do you know the depth of love in his heart?
As I said, I highly doubt it.

Unless you have walked in his shoes, know his heart and soul, never state you "HAVE" been in anyones situation.

I do not know him, but I respect his pain, his love for his dog and his need for support, regardless how he may come across here to you and others.
Try not judge this man, that is not what "friends" do.
Support and try to understand him.
He came here for support and understanding...OK?

Thank you.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

Unless you have walked in his shoes, know his heart and soul, never state you "HAVE" been in anyones situation.

I do not know him, but I respect his pain, his love for his dog and his need for support, regardless how he may come across here to you and others.

Thank you.

Did you read the entire thread? People were trying to help. No need to get so nasty with people trying to help. Each time someone suggests something, he came back with a nasty reply. There's no need for that, but when it's done more than once, people will get upset.

My friend has a dog that is 20, she takes him to Pet Smart to be groomed, they are very good with elderly dogs. I suggested this to him and he just about bit my head off. Go back and see. I was only trying to help.

Post # 8.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two

Thank you.

Hmmm. I am butting in...all on this thread have walked in Budd's shoes. I can guarantee he does not love his dog more than any of us on this thread loved our dog/cat/bird, etc. He was never judged here. He lashed out first; which if you read all the posts, everyone here was forgiving of him, even when he was hateful. He was totally supported on this forum; as someone said, he just didn't like the replies. I didn't realize Budd considered us friends. If he came here for support and understanding; he should give it back in return. That's all. Are you a lawyer? Oh, silly me, you are a newbie! That explains alot. Welcome :howdy: I just finished my newbie initiation. It was tough, but worth every minute of it! :lol:

Last edited:

KDENISE977

Thank you.

You are the one judging and seriously need to know what you re talking about before you post such nonsense. You need to go back to your section 8 housing post !!
I live and breath my dogs and have had to put them down when the quality of life wasn't out weighing my need to have them around and to hug every day.