Electric Bill!

anniemay

My vacant house (just bought it) had an electric bill of $369! I called smeco and they told me get a new fridge, so I told them there is no fridge in the house yet. Then they told me to change the light bulbs...which half those were missing too. CRAZY! I asked them to check the meter and they said that the meter was fine and wouldn't come out to check it.

My vacant house (just bought it) had an electric bill of $369! I called smeco and they told me get a new fridge, so I told them there is no fridge in the house yet. Then they told me to change the light bulbs...which half those were missing too. CRAZY! I asked them to check the meter and they said that the meter was fine and wouldn't come out to check it.

If you just bought it, they might have made a mistake and tacked on the previous owner's KWH to you. Double-check the dates on the bill.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I got my online bill today. I've been getting physically ill just thinking what it might be. I braced myself before opening it and still wasn't prepared. I can't wait until spring. Unreal!

SugarNSpikes

Our home is 1100 sq ft, and our bill was an outrageous $539.99, I almost hit the floor when I opened it, and for Dec it was $415, their excuse was oh it always higher at xmas, UGHHHHH!!!! I purposely keep my thermostat low, to avoid a high bill. This is just out of control!!! I even had them come out and check my meter, of course they say it is working fine. SOB'S.:banghead:

agreed.
i say let's go protest.

dn0121

1208 kwh 36 days last month = $190.92
737 kwh 28 days this month = $114.09

$76.83 in savings = :yahoo: (yes I know its less days but still nice)

W

Wenchy

1208 kwh 36 days last month = $190.92
737 kwh 28 days this month = $114.09

$76.83 in savings = :yahoo: (yes I know its less days but still nice)

:buttkick:

People shouldn't be able to post in here unless they are 100% electric and really have something to ##### and moan about.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
:buttkick:

People shouldn't be able to post in here unless they are 100% electric and really have something to ##### and moan about.
:whistle:

Current charges due by 02/23/09 111.34
Current charges due by 01/26/09 153.31
Current charges due by 12/18/08 87.17
Current charges due by 11/20/08 121.92

More: :biggrin:
Current charges due by 05/20/08 86.20
Current charges due by 04/21/08 86.53
Current charges due by 03/24/08 99.89
Current charges due by 02/21/08 105.31

dn0121

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

I have a heat pump that runs if temp is above 36 degrees.

W

Wenchy

:whistle:

Current charges due by 02/23/09 111.34
Current charges due by 01/26/09 153.31
Current charges due by 12/18/08 87.17
Current charges due by 11/20/08 121.92

More: :biggrin:
Current charges due by 05/20/08 86.20
Current charges due by 04/21/08 86.53
Current charges due by 03/24/08 99.89
Current charges due by 02/21/08 105.31

You must know somebody. Can you hook me up? :buddies: :flowers:

W

Wenchy

here's mine

From 12/30/08 to 01/30/09 Current charges due by 02/24/09 187.24

Seriously? What kind of heat source do you have? Hot water, etc...

I think I'm going to be blasted for over $600 when I open my next bill (all electric everything...old baseboard heat, but still) Small home and we are frugal. Half the rooms are closed off and not heated at all during the day, sometimes at night.

My last home was the same size and we had a heat pump. Bills were still way too high, but not as high as this.

tyky

eieio
Seriously? What kind of heat source do you have? Hot water, etc...

I think I'm going to be blasted for over $600 when I open my next bill (all electric everything...old baseboard heat, but still) Small home and we are frugal. Half the rooms are closed off and not heated at all during the day, sometimes at night.

My last home was the same size and we had a heat pump. Bills were still way too high, but not as high as this.

My house is brand new, so I am thinking it is pretty energy efficient
We have gas cooktop and a gas fireplace but I think everything else is electric.

W

Wenchy

My house is brand new, so I am thinking it is pretty energy efficient
We have gas cooktop and a gas fireplace but I think everything else is electric.

Let me know when you find out. :lol:

How much is your gas bill?

I don't know about the gas here, but over on the Eastern Shore I was paying $40/month just to keep the pilot light going for my fireplace (and connection) I ended up paying $20 for a cutoff and then $20 when they came back out to turn it on again. Over the ten year period I would have saved a few thousand if I had known.

Utility companies will shaft you.

dn0121

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

educated consumers make for cheap bills. my n gas bill is avg $40 a month.

dn0121

nicole_M said:
We have electric baseboard heat throughout our home as well... Early 1990's split foyer.

We actually are doing what SamSpade suggested... We purchased 2 efficient space heaters and are not using the baseboard AT ALL and my bill has dropped $100 from what it was last year without the space heaters.

My bill is in the mid $300's this month as opposed to $500 that is was last December. Next month - when it gets colder - will be a test to see if the space heaters are actually helping with cost.

Good luck - I despise baseboard heat!!!! Luckily, we do have central air.

if u have central air then why not get a heat pump?

TotalEclipse31

I have an apartment probably somewhere around 1000 sqr. ft. and my bill is around $80/month without heat running. Luckily I am getting radiant heat or something from below me because my apartment is always around 70-74 degrees and I have never turned the heat on. I do watch alot of tv though (plasma which drains alot). My friend that lives above me is shelling out over $200 a month and his apartment is always cold.