Electric Car News

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
C0AEA26F-6C87-4F18-B904-208C2AA1937B.jpeg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just finished watching this. Very informative on the J1772 connector standard. and that the use of the term "Level 3" is incorrect.
TLDW: There is, according to the J1772 standard, 4 levels of charging. A/C Level 1 (120vac up to 1.9kW) and Level 2 (240vac up to 19.2kW). Then there is DC charging Level 1 (up to 48kW) and Level 2 (up to 400kW).

glhs837

Power with Control
This right here is why I don't recommend the purchase of any EV whose name doesn't start with T.

The banks of Tesla Superchargers across the way were about 30 percent occupied and were very enticing. Tesla is still the long-haul charging user-experience king, and it's not close.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

It's Now Cheaper to Drive 100 Miles in a Gas-Powered Car Than in an EV

The Biden administration is always telling us that the best thing we can do is buy an electric vehicle. In fact, various members of the administration treat it almost flippantly — it’s a no-brainer that you should buy an expensive electric car or two. Doing so will rescue the planet from certain environmental collapse and will save you loads of money, even though the average cost of an electric vehicle was $66,000 as of August of last year.

Plenty of people are falling for it, and it’s easy to see why. The siren song of the tax credit is hard to ignore, and the idea of not having to contend with rising prices at the gas pump is attractive. But is it all true?

To quote Kissy Suzuki in You Only Live Twice, “Think again, please.” It just so happens that, for now, it’s actually cheaper to drive 100 miles in a gas-powered vehicle, also known as an internal combustion engine (ICE), than in an electric vehicle.

Ryan Erik King at Jalopnik reports that “a recent report from the Anderson Economic Group (AEG) found that fueling costs from mid-priced ICE-powered vehicles are lower than similarly priced electric vehicles. Combustion drivers pay about $11.29 per 100 miles on the road. EV drivers who charge up at home spend about $11.60 per 100 miles.”

It gets even more delicious when you take into account those commercial chargers that pop up in a lot of places.

“The price difference is more dramatic for those who mainly recharge at stations,” King writes. “Frequent charging station users pay $14.40 per 100 miles.”

glhs837

Power with Control

It's Now Cheaper to Drive 100 Miles in a Gas-Powered Car Than in an EV

The Biden administration is always telling us that the best thing we can do is buy an electric vehicle. In fact, various members of the administration treat it almost flippantly — it’s a no-brainer that you should buy an expensive electric car or two. Doing so will rescue the planet from certain environmental collapse and will save you loads of money, even though the average cost of an electric vehicle was $66,000 as of August of last year.

Plenty of people are falling for it, and it’s easy to see why. The siren song of the tax credit is hard to ignore, and the idea of not having to contend with rising prices at the gas pump is attractive. But is it all true?

To quote Kissy Suzuki in You Only Live Twice, “Think again, please.” It just so happens that, for now, it’s actually cheaper to drive 100 miles in a gas-powered vehicle, also known as an internal combustion engine (ICE), than in an electric vehicle.

Ryan Erik King at Jalopnik reports that “a recent report from the Anderson Economic Group (AEG) found that fueling costs from mid-priced ICE-powered vehicles are lower than similarly priced electric vehicles. Combustion drivers pay about $11.29 per 100 miles on the road. EV drivers who charge up at home spend about $11.60 per 100 miles.”

It gets even more delicious when you take into account those commercial chargers that pop up in a lot of places.

“The price difference is more dramatic for those who mainly recharge at stations,” King writes. “Frequent charging station users pay $14.40 per 100 miles.”
As always, depends on how you play the variables. Take a really efficient small cheap gas car in a state where gas is cheap, and take an inefficient EV and play with the electricity rate and add the cost of the charging point install at a higher cost and shazam.

phreddyp

As always, depends on how you play the variables. Take a really efficient small cheap gas car in a state where gas is cheap, and take an inefficient EV and play with the electricity rate and add the cost of the charging point install at a higher cost and shazam.

Makes no difference at all Junk is junk!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Tesla ‘spontaneously’ catches fire on California freeway, officials say

Sacramento firefighters used 6,000 gallons of water to put out flames in battery compartment of Tesla Model S

A Tesla Model S "spontaneously" burst into flames Saturday afternoon in California while driving on a freeway, officials said.

The Tesla’s battery compartment caught fire just before 4 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 50 near Sacramento, Metro Fire of Sacramento said.

Fire officials said the vehicle was traveling "freeway speeds" when the sudden combustion occurred and that "nothing unusual" happened prior to the fire.

The Tesla was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the scene, according to the department.

Photos...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Stanford scientists figured out why lithium metal batteries fail

Lithium metal batteries with solid electrolytes are lightweight, inflammable, pack a lot of energy, and can be recharged very quickly. There’s just been a short-circuiting problem that causes them to fail.

But researchers appear to have pinpointed the problem. In a paper published in the journal Nature Energy, titled “Mechanical regulation of lithium intrusion probability in garnet solid electrolytes,” researchers cited mechanical stress, especially during potent recharging, as the cause of failure.

Senior author William Chueh explains:

Just modest indentation, bending or twisting of the batteries can cause nanoscopic fissures in the materials to open and lithium to intrude into the solid electrolyte, causing it to short circuit.
Even dust or other impurities introduced in manufacturing can generate enough stress to cause failure.

glhs837

Power with Control
Tesla ‘spontaneously’ catches fire on California freeway, officials say

Sacramento firefighters used 6,000 gallons of water to put out flames in battery compartment of Tesla Model S

A Tesla Model S "spontaneously" burst into flames Saturday afternoon in California while driving on a freeway, officials said.

The Tesla’s battery compartment caught fire just before 4 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 50 near Sacramento, Metro Fire of Sacramento said.

Fire officials said the vehicle was traveling "freeway speeds" when the sudden combustion occurred and that "nothing unusual" happened prior to the fire.

The Tesla was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the scene, according to the department.

Photos...

The funny thing is, that's not really where a traction battery catches on fire. And normally, when it does, the whole car is gone. That looks far more like a 12 volt battery fire that eventually breached the pack. And not very far at that. "Spontaneously" usually means they don't know what caused it. Most likely they ran over something, or there was an aftermarket electrical mod in the frunk. But we'll never see the final report, I suspect.

Tesla fire.jpg

phreddyp

The funny thing is, that's not really where a traction battery catches on fire. And normally, when it does, the whole car is gone. That looks far more like a 12 volt battery fire that eventually breached the pack. And not very far at that. "Spontaneously" usually means they don't know what caused it. Most likely they ran over something, or there was an aftermarket electrical mod in the frunk. But we'll never see the final report, I suspect.

View attachment 168574
Nope! Just another piece of junk that caught fire!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Nope! Just another piece of junk that caught fire!
I'm reminded of the initial itroduction of Lithium batteries into laptops, tablets, phones....

I don't recall anyone defending them claiming how many rotary phones used to catch fire. Hmmmm....

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm reminded of the initial itroduction of Lithium batteries into laptops, tablets, phones....

I don't recall anyone defending them claiming how many rotary phones used to catch fire. Hmmmm....

The point really is that anything made by man in the millions will fail in some way. The other point is what the danger is in that failure mode. Yep, there are fires. Other than people driving 100mph into solid objects, I'm unaware of anyone being injured or killed in an EV fire. Maybe I missed them though.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
What drivers should know about electric car ownership and battery life

(iSeeCars) — Electric cars have surged in popularity due to high gas prices and the emergence of new all-electric vehicles across all major vehicle types. Because electric cars are a relatively new technology, prospective buyers may be curious about how long they can expect these cars to last.

From battery life to expected length of ownership for popular electric cars, we answer the question of how long you can expect EVs to remain on the road.

How Long Do Electric Car Batteries Last?

Because replacing a car’s battery pack can cost upwards of $20,000, it’s likely the end of a car’s battery life is when drivers will choose to replace their vehicle. When it comes to the lifespan of an EV battery, many factors should be taken into account. While electric car battery life can vary, EV manufacturers are required to provide a warranty on their batteries for at least 8 years or 10,000 miles. Just like traditional gasoline vehicles, some manufacturers offer longer warranties. For example, Kia offers a battery pack warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles, and Hyundai provides warranty coverage on EV batteries for the entire lifetime of the vehicle. It’s also worth noting that battery warranties vary not only by time but also the nature of the coverage. Some automakers will only replace the battery if it dies completely, while other brands like BMW, Tesla, and Volkswagen will cover a battery after battery capacity falls below a certain percentage.

How to Extend Electric Vehicle Battery Life

1. Avoid parking in extreme temperatures ...

2. Don’t Overcharge or Undercharge Your Vehicle

Modern electric cars have management systems that avoid charging and discharging at the maximum and minimum charging levels. That means never reaching a full charge or falling to zero percent. This helps avoid charging your vehicle above 80 percent or below 20 percent, which will help prolong battery life.

3. Use Fast Charging Stations Sparingly Hmmm...

Greatest Potential Lifespan EVs– iSeeCars Study
Rank Vehicle Potential Lifespan
1 Tesla Model S 133,998
2 Nissan LEAF 98,081
According to a recent iSeeCars analysis that looked at the vehicles with the highest potential lifespans, the Tesla Model S has a potential lifespan of 133,998 miles while a Nissan LEAF is expected to reach at least 98,081 miles. It’s worth noting that advancements in battery technology have allowed for EVs to remain on the road as long as their gasoline counterparts.

134k??? WTF??? I haven't had an ICE that lasted less than 250k in my life. More than one went over the 300k mark and theres a company truck out there I'm sure is at 500k+ on it's original 300-I6.

phreddyp

The point really is that anything made by man in the millions will fail in some way. The other point is what the danger is in that failure mode. Yep, there are fires. Other than people driving 100mph into solid objects, I'm unaware of anyone being injured or killed in an EV fire. Maybe I missed them though.
I do not recall that either maybe you have an extra couple of seconds with an EV to escape the vehicle. Or then again maybe they burn so hot that human remains don't survive.

glhs837

Power with Control
What drivers should know about electric car ownership and battery life

(iSeeCars) — Electric cars have surged in popularity due to high gas prices and the emergence of new all-electric vehicles across all major vehicle types. Because electric cars are a relatively new technology, prospective buyers may be curious about how long they can expect these cars to last.

From battery life to expected length of ownership for popular electric cars, we answer the question of how long you can expect EVs to remain on the road.

How Long Do Electric Car Batteries Last?

Because replacing a car’s battery pack can cost upwards of $20,000, it’s likely the end of a car’s battery life is when drivers will choose to replace their vehicle. When it comes to the lifespan of an EV battery, many factors should be taken into account. While electric car battery life can vary, EV manufacturers are required to provide a warranty on their batteries for at least 8 years or 10,000 miles. Just like traditional gasoline vehicles, some manufacturers offer longer warranties. For example, Kia offers a battery pack warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles, and Hyundai provides warranty coverage on EV batteries for the entire lifetime of the vehicle. It’s also worth noting that battery warranties vary not only by time but also the nature of the coverage. Some automakers will only replace the battery if it dies completely, while other brands like BMW, Tesla, and Volkswagen will cover a battery after battery capacity falls below a certain percentage.

How to Extend Electric Vehicle Battery Life

1. Avoid parking in extreme temperatures ...

2. Don’t Overcharge or Undercharge Your Vehicle

Modern electric cars have management systems that avoid charging and discharging at the maximum and minimum charging levels. That means never reaching a full charge or falling to zero percent. This helps avoid charging your vehicle above 80 percent or below 20 percent, which will help prolong battery life.

3. Use Fast Charging Stations Sparingly Hmmm...

Greatest Potential Lifespan EVs– iSeeCars Study
Rank Vehicle Potential Lifespan
1 Tesla Model S 133,998
2 Nissan LEAF 98,081
According to a recent iSeeCars analysis that looked at the vehicles with the highest potential lifespans, the Tesla Model S has a potential lifespan of 133,998 miles while a Nissan LEAF is expected to reach at least 98,081 miles. It’s worth noting that advancements in battery technology have allowed for EVs to remain on the road as long as their gasoline counterparts.

134k??? WTF??? I haven't had an ICE that lasted less than 250k in my life. More than one went over the 300k mark and theres a company truck out there I'm sure is at 500k+ on it's original 300-I6.
134K? Yeah, pretty sure thats not real. Let me go see what these folks used for numbers. Ah, here it is.

"iSeeCars.com analyzed over 2 million used cars on the road between January and October of 2022. The mileage over which the top one percent of cars within each model obtained was calculated and used to rank models. Only models with at least 10 model years of production between 2002 and 2021 (20 model years) and in production as of the 2020 model year were included for further analysis. Heavy duty vehicles were also excluded from further analysis."

So, if I understand this correctly, I see the issue. They didn't restrict the analysis to only the last ten years of production, I think. So vehicles with only ten years of production would be limited by the simple fact that not many of them would have had the time to hit high mileage. And of course, vehicles that are kept by owners wouldn't appear since they are not on the market to be analyzed.

So no, its not likley at all that 130K is the real expected lifespan of a Tesla. And the Leaf was hammered by the fact that since it has no real battery heating and cooling system, its early models were not awesome.

glhs837

Power with Control
I do not recall that either maybe you have an extra couple of seconds with an EV to escape the vehicle. Or then again maybe they burn so hot that human remains don't survive.
Seconds? Minutes, quite a few of them.

And another point on lifespan..... the company in question only rents Teslas. Note that they quick charge the crap out of them.

The Tesloop cars can clock up to 17,000 miles a month and need to recharge as often as twice daily. Several of its cars are nearing a half-million miles—when most fleets ditch their cars after 100K.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

How many NMCI computers caught fire?

DaSDGuy

Wow. You are saying that unless people are injured or killed the fires don't matter. Let me guess, you were on the Ford Pinto design team. Don't worry about the house burning down because you have insurance, right?