Electric Car News

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I thought there were 3 at least.

DCFC-Basics_2babcca2-59a6-4115-88c8-b99233cb2e3c_copy_1024x1024.jpg
Chademo is quickly losing favor and not available at new kiosks in the US.

glhs837

Power with Control
It figures. I have been trying to research gas stations and have not found a single instance where the federal government installed gas stations at tax payers expense. If you do locate some please post the link(s) that show $7.5B of federal taxes (adjusted to todays dollars) used to install gas stations.

If EV's are so cost effective why can't the manufactures install 100% of the charging stations?

Well, up til now, Tesla has. But no point in letting the competition take all that free money. Like the price cuts to enable their vehicles to meet the subsidy requirements. If the govt is going to give your competition money, not taking it is a disservice to your shareholders.

DaSDGuy

Gov Subsidies were NEVER required for Gasoline
Not to mention all EV users are EXPECTED to install at their own expense a charging station at home. And not use them at night during the summer so we don't have brown outs.

DaSDGuy

Well, up til now, Tesla has. But no point in letting the competition take all that free money. Like the price cuts to enable their vehicles to meet the subsidy requirements. If the govt is going to give your competition money, not taking it is a disservice to your shareholders.
Typical freeloader liberal. That tax money is NOT free money.

Clem72

Not to mention all EV users are EXPECTED to install at their own expense a charging station at home. And not use them at night during the summer so we don't have brown outs.
Showing your ignorance again. No one is expected to install a level 3 supercharger. Your not even expected to install a level 2 (240v) charger. If you do, level 2 chargers are typically 24 or 48 amp, so water heater or clothes dryer equivalent. And if you run a level 2 charger it doesn't need to run all night every night. Maybe if you drove 300 miles in your EV every single day and needed to charge for 10 hours every night. That's not reasonable. Most people drive less than 50 per day, so about 2 hours per night. Would we have rolling brown-outs if everyone ran their dryer for an hour or two every night?

DaSDGuy

Showing your ignorance again. No one is expected to install a level 3 supercharger. Your not even expected to install a level 2 (240v) charger. If you do, level 2 chargers are typically 24 or 48 amp, so water heater or clothes dryer equivalent. And if you run a level 2 charger it doesn't need to run all night every night. Maybe if you drove 300 miles in your EV every single day and needed to charge for 10 hours every night. That's not reasonable. Most people drive less than 50 per day, so about 2 hours per night. Would we have rolling brown-outs if everyone ran their dryer for an hour or two every night?
Don't follow the national news much do you.

glhs837

Power with Control
Typical freeloader liberal. That tax money is NOT free money.

From an accounting standpoint to the company, its free. I've been pretty clear I think the gov should let things work at the market pace, and not subsidize any of it. But if they are going to, it should be evenly distributed.

Not expected to, you have a choice. IF you buy one and choose to charge at a public charger, it will cost you more. Your call.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And in a lot of cases, installing a Level 2 charger is not a big deal, nor expensive. I extended my dryer line into the garage for about $100 worth of parts, I did the work. I still need to purchase a charge device to plug between the outlet and the car, but waiting until I have more info on what I will specifically need. Most L14-30 to J1772 or Tesla chargers are less than $300.

Yes, in some cases a whole new line will need to be run from the breaker panel to the garage/outdoor outlet, and that's just something you have to consider when pricing everything out.

And if your daily drive is 30 miles or less, you can get away with a plain ol' 120VAC outlet charger. Dirt cheap.

Last edited:

Clem72

And in a lot of cases, installing a Level 2 charger is not a big deal, nor expensive. I extended my dryer line into the garage for about $100 worth of parts, I did the work. I still need to purchase a charge device to plug between the outlet and the car, but waiting until I have more info on what I will specifically need. Most L14-30 to J1772 or Tesla chargers are less than $300.

Yes, in some cases a whole new line will need to be run from the breaker panel to the garage/outdoor outlet, and that's just something you have to consider when pricing everything out.

And if your daily drive is 30 miles or less, you can get away with a plain ol' 120VAC outlet charger. Dirt cheap.

The slower the charge the longer your batteries should last. If you have a 30 amp 240v line run then you can safely use a 24 amp charger which is in my opinion a great compromise between speed and going easy on your batteries. Should get you around 12-15 miles per hour of charge. There are several 24 amp chargers that plug straight into the common 30amp/50amp sockets and have 15-30ft cables.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The slower the charge the longer your batteries should last. If you have a 30 amp 240v line run then you can safely use a 24 amp charger which is in my opinion a great compromise between speed and going easy on your batteries. Should get you around 12-15 miles per hour of charge. There are several 24 amp chargers that plug straight into the common 30amp/50amp sockets and have 15-30ft cables.
I've got an Aptera on order. It falls WAY outside the range of normal charging. Expected charge rates:
120VAC - 13-14 miles per hour
240VAC 3.3 kW - 32 miles per hour

In a 12 hour charge at 120VAC, I'll get 150+ mile range. Since it will probably be sitting alot (after I get used to showing it off....), I'll easily keep it to 80% charge on 120VAC. The 240 outlet is "just in case". But....... it has roof solar cells giving it an estimated 40 miles of charge per day (varies by daylight and region...) without plugging in at all. I also purchased 400 additional watts of solar panels, added to my current 270 watts, just to charge the Aptera when it's in the garage, so under MY normal driving, I will rarely need to plug in at all (very optimistic outlook here...).

Clem72

I've got an Aptera on order. It falls WAY outside the range of normal charging. Expected charge rates:
120VAC - 13-14 miles per hour
240VAC 3.3 kW - 32 miles per hour

In a 12 hour charge at 120VAC, I'll get 150+ mile range. Since it will probably be sitting alot (after I get used to showing it off....), I'll easily keep it to 80% charge on 120VAC. The 240 outlet is "just in case". But....... it has roof solar cells giving it an estimated 40 miles of charge per day (varies by daylight and region...) without plugging in at all. I also purchased 400 additional watts of solar panels, added to my current 270 watts, just to charge the Aptera when it's in the garage, so under MY normal driving, I will rarely need to plug in at all (very optimistic outlook here...).

With the quality of drivers here in SOMD I would be afraid to drive something that looks like it would lose in a fight against a moped. (j/k)

phreddyp

B.S. my neighbor has level two chargers and 2 EV's they are used EVERY day (when they are not in the shop). They blink when they are charging which is MOST of the evening!

glhs837

Power with Control
B.S. my neighbor has level two chargers and 2 EV's they are used EVERY day (when they are not in the shop). They blink when they are charging which is MOST of the evening!

Don't suppose you know what EVs and chargers they are? I suspect early these are early EVs, which can only take a charge at a trickle, combined with low power circuits. Clems times were on the money to recharge 50 miles of use.

phreddyp

Don't suppose you know what EVs and chargers they are? I suspect early these are early EVs, which can only take a charge at a trickle, combined with low power circuits. Clems times were on the money to recharge 50 miles of use.
One is about 3 years old and one in just out of the box. The new one is a VW not sure about the other. I find it unbelievable that folks believe what the manufacturer states what their products will do. I learned not to put much stock in what they say a long time ago.

glhs837

Power with Control
One is about 3 years old and one in just out of the box. The new one is a VW not sure about the other. I find it unbelievable that folks believe what the manufacturer states what their products will do. I learned not to put much stock in what they say a long time ago.

See, its like gas mileage. A lot of variables. I'm basing my numbers on what people, not the makers, report. The charger you choose matters. How much you drive it matters. Should take about 7 hours on a level 2 charger to refill an ID4 from "empty", using a 40amp charger. Are they really driving this thing 200 miles a day? Look at these numbers.

https://evocharge.com/resources/vehicle-charger-specs/2021-volkswagen-id4-2/

So, as I said, it depends on what equipment you have.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
With the quality of drivers here in SOMD I would be afraid to drive something that looks like it would lose in a fight against a moped. (j/k)
:lol: I'm used to it driving the Slingshot. The Aptera is built better than the Sling, more safety features, air bags (none in the Sling...).

phreddyp

See, its like gas mileage. A lot of variables. I'm basing my numbers on what people, not the makers, report. The charger you choose matters. How much you drive it matters. Should take about 7 hours on a level 2 charger to refill an ID4 from "empty", using a 40amp charger. Are they really driving this thing 200 miles a day? Look at these numbers.

https://evocharge.com/resources/vehicle-charger-specs/2021-volkswagen-id4-2/

So, as I said, it depends on what equipment you have.
I love it when folks use should. I'm passing along what I see every day.

glhs837

Power with Control
I love it when folks use should. I'm passing along what I see every day.
I love it when people try and extrapolate from one anecdote into millions of cases. I know a guy whose car gets 12mpg. Its rated for 20. Its obvious that every other car out there must be getting 12mpg, since that's what my friend gets. Never mind he lives at 90% throttle and 6,000rpm.

As I said, it varies immensely.

Note that charging two EVS at the same time might be an issue.