Electric Car News

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Funny story... Someone I know is going on travel for two weeks. I asked if they still needed the to/from cars for the airport. They said yes, for fear of the battery dying while parked for two weeks. It was hard to stifle a giggle. 😂

glhs837

Power with Control
Funny story... Someone I know is going on travel for two weeks. I asked if they still needed the to/from cars for the airport. They said yes, for fear of the battery dying while parked for two weeks. It was hard to stifle a giggle. 😂

I think we covered this a while back. If its a Tesla, there are a couple of easy setting that make it a sure thing it would be fine.

Basically, just turn off Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat protection and the drain is only about 1% a day. And don't check in on the app every day.

phreddyp

I think we covered this a while back. If its a Tesla, there are a couple of easy setting that make it a sure thing it would be fine.

Basically, just turn off Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat protection and the drain is only about 1% a day. And don't check in on the app every day.

Why waste your time?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Not sure they want to deal with all that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

ELECTRIC VEHICLES ARE NOT THE FUTURE

The mania for electric vehicles is a fad that is driven 100% by government regulation. The consumer verdict on EVs has been in for a century. Some of the earliest cars were battery-powered, but they lost out to gasoline-powered cars because gasoline-powered vehicles are better.

Those who have been paying attention understand that there is zero chance that our existing motor vehicle fleet will be converted to EVs. Mark Tapscott sums up some of the reasons. I want to focus on just one of his points, the fact that the lithium batteries needed to replace our current vehicle fleet would require ridiculous amounts of mining of minerals, particularly lithium, the price of which is already sky-high. How do liberals intend to accomplish this unprecedented global mining project?

Answer: they don’t. Mark quotes from a report by an environmental organization:

This report finds that the United States can achieve zero emissions transportation while limiting the amount of lithium mining necessary by reducing the car dependence of the transportation system, decreasing the size of electric vehicle batteries, and maximizing lithium recycling.
Reordering the US transportation system through policy and spending shifts to prioritize public and active transit while reducing car dependency can also ensure transit equity, protect ecosystems, respect Indigenous rights, and meet the demands of global justice.

This is what liberal politicians are not telling you–yet. They don’t really plan to replace your car with an EV, they don’t want to replace it at all. They want you to walk, bicycle, and use public transportation. In other words, they want to destroy the traditional American freedom to, as Mark says, go where we please, when we please. That is a radical and unwelcome change in American life, right up there with eating insects instead of meat.

Where I live, we are already seeing this push to take us out of our cars. Highways in the Twin Cities are deliberately under-designed, so that traffic is needlessly congested. Urban planners, not just oblivious but hostile to our basic freedoms, have spent billions of dollars on trains that hardly anyone rides, and have converted traffic lanes to bicycle lanes that are scarcely used–not used at all, this time of year–thus snarling traffic further. Their dream of mass reliance on public transportation is a century out of date; mass transit usage peaked in the Twin Cities in the early 20th Century. But the fun of inconveniencing the rest of us is too good to pass up.

PeoplesElbow

Can give you a real world number, its for a plug in hybrid operated in EV only mode though. 42ish miles in electric only range to charge from almost empty to full with a L2 charger takes a bit more than 3 hrs. Now there is a setting in the vehicle that allows you to adjust the charge rate and a lot of people didn't know this and their vehicle was taking 8+ hours to charge. It's battery pack is about 1/4 the size of a Tesla.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Postal Service Buys Nearly 10,000 Electric Vehicles As Biden Pushes For Electrified Federal Fleet

“We are moving forward with our plans to simultaneously improve our service, reduce our cost, grow our revenue, and improve the working environment for our employees. Electrification of our vehicle fleet is now an important component of these initiatives,” Postmaster General Louis DeJoy said in a statement. “We have developed a strategy that mitigates both cost and risk of deployment, which enable execution on this initiative to begin now.”

The total investment in the electrification program is slated to reach $9.6 billion, which includes roughly $3 billion from the Inflation Reduction Act. A previous statement from the White House said that roughly three-quarters of the agency’s Next Generation Delivery Vehicles will therefore run on batteries instead of internal combustion engines.

The Biden administration has established the goal of procuring only 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles by 2027 and will extend the same standard to all vehicles in the federal fleet by 2035, according to a document from the White House.

glhs837

Power with Control

Postal Service Buys Nearly 10,000 Electric Vehicles As Biden Pushes For Electrified Federal Fleet

“We are moving forward with our plans to simultaneously improve our service, reduce our cost, grow our revenue, and improve the working environment for our employees. Electrification of our vehicle fleet is now an important component of these initiatives,” Postmaster General Louis DeJoy said in a statement. “We have developed a strategy that mitigates both cost and risk of deployment, which enable execution on this initiative to begin now.”

The total investment in the electrification program is slated to reach $9.6 billion, which includes roughly $3 billion from the Inflation Reduction Act. A previous statement from the White House said that roughly three-quarters of the agency’s Next Generation Delivery Vehicles will therefore run on batteries instead of internal combustion engines.

The Biden administration has established the goal of procuring only 100% zero-emission light-duty vehicles by 2027 and will extend the same standard to all vehicles in the federal fleet by 2035, according to a document from the White House.

Sadly, they will probably not get good EVs.

phreddyp

Millions of people disagree with and are quite happy.

But I want the govt to buy ones that work efficiently. Sadly, that's just not likely.
They are incorrect in their thinking, but then again so are you. But we will survive. Bought yours yet? If so why? If not why?

glhs837

Power with Control
They are incorrect in their thinking, but then again so are you. But we will survive. Bought yours yet? If so why? If not why?

Wrong for being happy? Yeah.

Mine hasn't entered production yet but will soon. I'll most likely get mine around June of 2024. I'm in no rush.

glhs837

Power with Control
It looks like something the characters would drive in a Dire Straights Video.

And that's fine. The looks are a result of function. I don't need decorative curves, its a truck. I don't need ladder racks, I don't need to tow more than 10K, I don't need a payload capacity greater than 3,500lbs. I don't need to worry about paint. I don't fetishize reaching into the bed from the side :) I do appreciate never worrying about paint, or engines, or oil changes. Of course, the legacy fleet around here still needs all of that. :)

glhs837

Power with Control
In other words... You don't need a truck! :lmao:
So what you're telling me that f-150s are not trucks? :) Those capacities meet or
exceed most f-150s on the road. I mean for additional money I suppose I could step up to the one that tows 14,000.