Electric Car News

phreddyp

I love it when people try and extrapolate from one anecdote into millions of cases. I know a guy whose car gets 12mpg. Its rated for 20. Its obvious that every other car out there must be getting 12mpg, since that's what my friend gets. Never mind he lives at 90% throttle and 6,000rpm.

As I said, it varies immensely.

Note that charging two EVS at the same time might be an issue.

Neighbor's Chevy EV is back in the shop again! Just thought you would like to know.

phreddyp

Well, its a GM, so..... I've owned two, that learned me my lesson. Problem isnt that its a EV.
I've run GM vehicles my whole life all my business trucks and my personal vehicles were GM and never had many problems except batteries, fluids, wipers and tires about sixty vehicles in all and still have two. Nothing like the problems she is dealing with. Nice try though!

glhs837

Power with Control
I've run GM vehicles my whole life all my business trucks and my personal vehicles were GM and never had many problems except batteries, fluids, wipers and tires about sixty vehicles in all and still have two. Nothing like the problems she is dealing with. Nice try though!
So you're anecdotal b******* counts but mine doesn't eh? Nice try. :) Oh mine lasted a long time but stupid s*** like door hinges and turn signal stalks and volume knobs and interior of fabrics all fell the s*** long before they were ready for the scrap heap. Hell by 120k to 1999 vehicle could be started by just rotating the freaking key bezel no key or screwdriver required.

phreddyp

So you're anecdotal b******* counts but mine doesn't eh? Nice try. :) Oh mine lasted a long time but stupid s*** like door hinges and turn signal stalks and volume knobs and interior of fabrics all fell the s*** long before they were ready for the scrap heap. Hell by 120k to 1999 vehicle could be started by just rotating the freaking key bezel no key or screwdriver required.
Must have been hard on it, I will take my experience with GM because I had most likely 20 times the experience with GM than you have. Once again nice try!

Stop your petty fighting, kids. They've released photos of the first Electric Cowasaki.

1676930299133.png

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I've run GM vehicles my whole life all my business trucks and my personal vehicles were GM

I worked for a plumbing company in the 90's .. all Ford E-350's driven all over DC day and day out .... no major issues, basic maintenance units ranged from 85 - 92 302 or 351's hauling 100's of pounds of materials ..

phreddyp

I worked for a plumbing company in the 90's .. all Ford E-350's driven all over DC day and day out .... no major issues, basic maintenance units ranged from 85 - 92 302 or 351's hauling 100's of pounds of materials ..
A 1 ton truck is a tough mother, I've had several of them! GM of course but still tough!

Clem72

If we are going by anecdotes, I put 240k miles on a dodge neon and never had a single repair. Didn't even do the scheduled timing belt change. Just oil changes and tire rotations. Still ran great and got around 28 to 30mpg when I sold it to the junk yard for $500.
Therefore I must conclude Dodge/Chrystler in general and Neons in particular are the most reliable cars on earth.

glhs837

Power with Control
If we are going by anecdotes, I put 240k miles on a dodge neon and never had a single repair. Didn't even do the scheduled timing belt change. Just oil changes and tire rotations. Still ran great and got around 28 to 30mpg when I sold it to the junk yard for $500.
Therefore I must conclude Dodge/Chrystler in general and Neons in particular are the most reliable cars on earth.

Exactly my point, anecdotal data isnt. My Neon, the clutch was going by 75K. Of course, the thing had over 300whp, and was pushing 18lbs of boost. My Charger SRT-8 had over 175K when I sold it. Fuel pump and oil pump.

glhs837

Power with Control
She now has a rental car, may have been a serious repair. I will keep you updated.

I would never recommend the Bolt, which is what a three year old GM EV pretty much has to be. I mean its classic GM econobox (Sonic) hacked up to take an LG battery pack and drivetrain. What's to love? Any car the maker is loosing 7k-8k a unit on isn't gonna get much love.

Although it could be a hybrid Volt? They ended production in 2019.

I am curious to see whats wrong with it though.

glhs837

Power with Control
Need ball joints from the added weight.
Well, they did stop them from spontaneously combusting, though, so they have that going for them, which is nice. I wonder if someday we'll ever get a total loss number from the Bolt platform. It was 7k-8K lost even before the fire issue. Figure a billion or two extra just to replace all the batteries. And ever since then, they discounted them by another 6K or so. So figure every one they sold in the last year has cost them over 10K in losses for every single Bolt sold. That's a staggering amount of money.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Three Huge Reasons Why Electric Vehicles Will Never Dominate American Roads

In other words, the elites in government, media, academia, woke corporations, entertainment, and non-profit advocacy communities are doing everything they can to sell EVs, but the vast majority of Americans aren’t buying. That’s the first of three huge reasons EVs will never dominate American roads.

The second reason is seen in a recent analysis by John Eichberger, executive director of the Fuels Institute, a research and advocacy group backed by a coalition of energy and transportation firms.

Eichberger told me in an email:

The decision by several governments to mandate all vehicles sold by 2035 be “zero emissions vehicles” got me thinking – how would such a decision affect the United States.
Disclaimer for the nerds like me: Unlike the Fuels Institute reports that you may be familiar with, this is not an exhaustive analysis – it does not consider how or should or buts – and it is not a forecast. It assumes the planets align and all works out to achieve 100 percent of sales in 2035 are ZEV.
Assuming average vehicle sales and scrappage rates and an average annual increase rate in ZEV sales to achieve 100 percent market share, a 2035 ZEV mandate could convert 16.5 percent of the fleet by 2035 and 60 percent by 2050. This means 83.5 percent of vehicles in operation in 2035 will be primarily powered by liquid fuels.

Think about that. Even under an optimistic scenario of achieving a 100% market share of annual vehicle sales in 12 years, less than one-fifth of the nation’s overall vehicle fleet will be EVs. That means more than 83% of all the cars and trucks on the road will still require gasoline or diesel.

When I asked Eichberger about the Biden schedule, he responded, saying he “did do a 50 percent of sales by 2030 achievement and kept ZEV sales growth constant beyond that date. Results in 6.6 percent fleet conversion by 2030, 100 percent sales by 2035, and 21 percent fleet conversion by 2035.”

Put another way, elected officials and bureaucrats who think they can simply wave their regulatory magic wands to achieve their policy aims might as well order the sun and moon to reverse their courses.

And that brings us to the third huge reason EVs will never dominate American roads: A study recently published by an environmental advocacy group, the Climate +Community Project. According to the study’s authors:

A crucial aspect of electrified transportation is new demand for metals, and specifically the most non-replaceable metal for EV batteries– Lithium. If today’s demand for EVs is projected to 2050, the lithium requirements of the US EV market alone in 2050 would require triple the amount of lithium currently produced for the entire global market. This boom in demand would be met by the expansion of mining. [Emphasis added]
Large-scale mining entails social and environmental harm, in many cases irreversibly damaging landscapes without the consent of affected communities. As societies undertake the urgent and transformative task of building new, zero-emissions energy systems, some level of mining is necessary. But the volume of extraction is not a given. Neither is where mining takes place, who bears the social and environmental burdens, or how mining is governed.