Engagement Ring & Retirement

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
kwillia said:
If catt and otter split, I'm sure she will let him keep the big screen t.v. as long as he lets her keep the washer and dryer... :shrug:

Weird...I'm not sure where he's hiding that dang tv but I'm gonna find it.

SamSpade

Nickel said:
I hope he gets the dog that doesn't pee all over the floor. :jameo:

I'd still take her - she's adorable. We're 99% certain it has to be a medical condition, since she only does it when she naps. She goes to see the vet on Friday.

SamSpade

kwillia said:
If I am not mistaken, a house becomes joint property which would mean a 50/50 split is in order.
So any money I put into it BEFORE we got married is split, also? For example, if I owned the house completely before we married, she'd still get half?

Chasey_Lane said:
That hurt my eyes. :twitch:
It wouldn't let me cut and paste... click on the link that will jump you to the Division of Marital Property in Maryland section. It is very well stated.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Chasey_Lane said:
K_JO, I hope you entered into a prenup so that there is no question about Eddie & Ruby.
Ruby was there before me, and whenever I get mad at C_Jo, I threaten to take Eddie and leave, so I think he's mine. :lol:

I'm also keeping the ring and taking every last nickel I can get from him. :evil:

SamSpade

kwillia said:
It wouldn't let me cut and paste... click on the link that will jump you to the Division of Marital Property in Maryland section. It is very well stated.
So as I understand it - anything I owned before I got married is still mine? The question then would be, would any portion of the home's value be considered mine, since I actually bought the home months before we got married.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Engagement: She breaks it or causes the break she returns ring.
He breaks it or causes it to break she keeps ring. She sells ring and takes a great vacation.

Retirement: 1) Calculate how much was earned during only the marriage.
2) Each is entitled to half of the amount calculated for each retirement fund.
3) If one has slightly more than the other, than the money exchanged is generally just the difference between the two accounts.

Parties may waive the right to retirement funds.

morganj614

SamSpade said:
So as I understand it - anything I owned before I got married is still mine? The question then would be, would any portion of the home's value be considered mine, since I actually bought the home months before we got married.

But did she get added to the mortgage? Anything before marriage is yours and anything bought during, is both of yours.

SamSpade said:
The question then would be, would any portion of the home's value be considered mine, since I actually bought the home months before we got married.
Yep! It is arbitrary... and that is why there are divorce lawyers and also why some cases have to be settled by the judge... :cartwheel The uglier the divorce the less chance both parties will come to an agreement without 'legal assistance'.

SamSpade

morganj614 said:
But did she get added to the mortgage? Anything before marriage is yours and anything bought during, is both of yours.

Yes she was. All of the costs for purchase however, were my own - points, closing, down payment.

I have no intention of divorcing. In my mind, the only way out of this marriage is death. I'm just curious. When I got married, a co-worker repeatedly suggested that any down payment I put down I should have clarified legally as belonging to me - so that if we should split, and I put say, a 100k down payment on the house with my own money before we got married -she could only claim part of the money accrued afterwards - which would be half the paid equity into the house, and half the value the house increased by.

SamSpade said:
Yes she was. All of the costs for purchase however, were my own - points, closing, down payment.

I have no intention of divorcing. In my mind, the only way out of this marriage is death. I'm just curious. When I got married, a co-worker repeatedly suggested that any down payment I put down I should have clarified legally as belonging to me - so that if we should split, and I put say, a 100k down payment on the house with my own money before we got married -she could only claim part of the money accrued afterwards - which would be half the paid equity into the house, and half the value the house increased by.
I would say our co-worker was right... if you both "bought the house together"... it does not matter who paid what amount towards the purchase... it was a joint purchase none the less. She has rights to half the value without argument.

How do we distinguish between marital and non-non-marital property?

Very generally, here are the rules for determining what's Marital property and what isn't:

Marital property includes all earnings during marriage and everything acquired with those earnings. All debts incurred during marriage, unless the creditor was specifically looking to the separate property of one spouse for payment, are marital property debts.

Non-marital property of one spouse includes gifts and inheritances given just to that spouse, personal injury awards received by that spouse, and the proceeds of a pension that vested (that is, the pensioner became legally entitled to receive it) before marriage. Property purchased with the separate funds of a spouse remain that spouse's separate property. A business owned by one spouse before the marriage remains his or her separate property during the marriage, although a portion of it may be considered Marital property if the business increased in value during the marriage or both spouses worked at it.

Property purchased with a combination of separate and marital funds is part marital and part non-marital property, so long as a spouse is able to show that some separate funds were used. Non-marital property mixed together with marital property generally becomes marital property.

LINK