Esperanza Lanes

glhs837

Power with Control
It would be under some sort of unfair compettion clause, I assume. Since the base lanes get some subsidy from MWR, even if it's just facilities management, that sort of thing, they have a leg up. The purpose of the form is to quantify if most of the patrons are non-DOD signed in as guests. those people would be more likely to bowl off-base is they were not allowed to "guest in" to the base lanes.

Restitution

Still not seeing the connection as to why Esperanza Lanes would file a complaint. If that's true, who would they file the complaint with? The bowling police?

I suppose the only one who could answer that is the owner of Esperanza Lanes.

Would you like the address?

awpitt

Main Streeter
It would be under some sort of unfair compettion clause, I assume. Since the base lanes get some subsidy from MWR, even if it's just facilities management, that sort of thing, they have a leg up. The purpose of the form is to quantify if most of the patrons are non-DOD signed in as guests. those people would be more likely to bowl off-base is they were not allowed to "guest in" to the base lanes.

But what authority governs this? Is there some law out there that governs competition between bowling alleys. The base lanes isn't the only MWR facility that tracks the affiliation of its customers. The base pool does as well.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That place has been a $hit hole for years. Dave is a rude SOB and drives out more business than the base ever will.

I think someone should let Dave know people are talking Smack about his bowling alley ... he sounds like such an upstanding guy
[maybe we can get a repeat of the Hollyrock Thread]

:jet:

H

Hodr

Anyone know which facility was here first? I feel like it would be a doubly dick-move to complain about someone stealing your business if you were the Johnny come lately.

Restitution

Anyone know which facility was here first? I feel like it would be a doubly dick-move to complain about someone stealing your business if you were the Johnny come lately.

Carbon testing of the Coke residue in the carpet padding at Esperanza Lanes might tell the story...

lucky_bee

RBF expert
We have over 12 grocery stores in this county. Why the hell can't we have 2 frikkin' bowling allies? To me, this is a non-issue. If you want to be the better of the two, make sure your #### is together. :shrug:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This issue is about pricing and competition. Even state parks have these sort of issues. I know when I volunteered with NY state parks that they can only have a camp store if the closest competitor is X miles away. And they have to sell their products at competitive prices, usually some sort of average of the local area pricing.

I'm sure there are other businesses around the country doing the same thing when they are in direct competition with the military base. Movie theaters come to mind since the base theaters tickets are about half of what the movie costs outside the base. The government has a mechanism in place to address these issues. Just because he is suing doesn't mean he will win.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, in fact, I know beer and cigarette prices are adjusted to account for local sin taxes, I remember when that change took place.

pebbles

Just booked my kid's birthday party......ON BASE! Who even goes to the S#$% hole on 235 anymore?! Most people go to Calvert to bowl if they don't have base access.

PeoplesElbow

We have over 12 grocery stores in this county. Why the hell can't we have 2 frikkin' bowling allies? To me, this is a non-issue. If you want to be the better of the two, make sure your #### is together. :shrug:

Someone once told me that the owners father had it put in some county bylaw that there can only be one bowling alley in St Marys county. I dont know how true it is, but I would consider him a reliable source.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Someone once told me that the owners father had it put in some county bylaw that there can only be one bowling alley in St Marys county. I dont know how true it is, but I would consider him a reliable source.

Considering that there were others before and along with Esperanza I find that unlikely. Used to be duckpins at Dukes and there was Lamar Lanes back in the day. And I know Lamar and Esperanza were both operational at the same time for quite some time. I think it was Jack Fletcher (or something along those lines) that first ran Esperanza back when it was sort of new (going back into the 60s for that).

BernieP

Resident PIA

Build one.

Oh, can't get the financing to build it and run it?

Probably why there isn't any competition.

Everybody needs food, and given the quality of a fair number of those grocery stores, it's a wonder the county hasn't starved to death.

Midnightrider

Considering that there were others before and along with Esperanza I find that unlikely. Used to be duckpins at Dukes and there was Lamar Lanes back in the day. And I know Lamar and Esperanza were both operational at the same time for quite some time. I think it was Jack Fletcher (or something along those lines) that first ran Esperanza back when it was sort of new (going back into the 60s for that).

its been a few years, but last time i was upstairs at dukes they still had the alleys, they were just using them for storage

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
its been a few years, but last time i was upstairs at dukes they still had the alleys, they were just using them for storage

It has been quite a few years since I was upstairs there too. I think it hasn't been an operational alley since the late 60s, maybe early 70s.

PeoplesElbow

Apparently Dave has gone on with his complaint, there is a new more detailed form to fill out when bowling on base.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Apparently Dave has gone on with his complaint, there is a new more detailed form to fill out when bowling on base.

what he is going to do is screw civilians and contractors over when access to the drill hall is made military (and retirees) only.

I know people who have held parties on base after work that he probably would not have accommodated.