F B I National Embarrassment

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Now what? We find out he legally owns guns - that's a given. Now what?

Maybe he gets taken in for a mental evaluation for making Terroristic Threats ...... I'm gonna be like that guy in 1966

if he wasn't serious, maybe gets the crap scared out of him because the FBI Showed up ....

Starman

We've had enough school/mass shootings at this point where, if the FBI sees such a post by someone, this should have gone to the top of the list of importance to follow up on. It would have been easy to track down who posted that line. Youtube and other blogger website have, no doubt, sysloggers that track every hit to their websites that show source and destination IP addresses. This post had an exact timestamp on it. You go to the administrators of the blog sites and ask them for all of the IP addresses that hit their server at that specific date and time. I would imagine it would narrow down to about a dozen IP addresses, with such a specific timestamp. From there they can easily get who owns that IP address by doing a ipWhois search. You go to that owner/provider of the IP address and they can narrow down to the street and house of where that IP address came from. Boom! You have your subject.

In this age of digital tracking, this isn't hard stuff. It appears to me the FBI put this report on the bottom of their priority list.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to jump on an anonymizing VPN?

This_person

Maybe he gets taken in for a mental evaluation for making Terroristic Threats ...... I'm gonna be like that guy in 1966

Reportedly, he was already in therapy.

if he wasn't serious, maybe gets the crap scared out of him because the FBI Showed up ....

That's the goal? We use law enforcement to scare the crap out of citizens for talking how we don't like?

That's not for me, personally.

Unless and until he actually did something (like show up at the school with guns), what was the crime?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Unless and until he actually did something (like show up at the school with guns), what was the crime?

Well there is the Problem.

My solution is more people carrying .... some nut job starts shooting, he gets taken out before the body count gets too high

This_person

Well there is the Problem.

My solution is more people carrying .... some nut job starts shooting, he gets taken out before the body count gets too high

Which goes back to my previous point - if people want to talk about protecting kids, they should talk about hiring protection for kids, not about infringing upon other people's rights.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's the goal? We use law enforcement to scare the crap out of citizens for talking how we don't like?

I think we can universally agree that a person claiming they want to commit mass murder should be investigated. You're the only person I've heard say they shouldn't be.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
However, I do think that when someone goes to the trouble to make a video and upload it to social media, saying they are going to commit a mass murder, we should take that seriously. It's ignorant not to.

If someone did make such a video it would be worthy, and likely easy, to identify and investigate that person. However in this instance it was a text comment posted to a "Ben the Bondsman" video blog tagged with the name Nikolas Cruz, he made a screen capture of the comment and called his local FBI office. The FBI in Mississippi ran the name, found no person with such name to be currently in the system, and determined it to be of little investigative value as there was no information given that would add exigency to the matter. Now with hindsight being 20/20 maybe they should have looked harder, but I wouldn't condemn them for dropping the ball.

Hijinx

Let me be clear:

I agree with your basic point. School shootings get a lot of attention, but they are statistically insignificant when it comes to young people's cause of death. But the media goes crazy and tells us to get upset, so we do. Again, more kids die in car accidents than school shootings. More die from drug overdose. And more die from parental violence. Yet we don't seem to want to do anything about that....because the media hasn't told us to care about it.

However, I do think that when someone goes to the trouble to make a video and upload it to social media, saying they are going to commit a mass murder, we should take that seriously. It's ignorant not to.

I believe the media going nutso over school shootings encourages more school shootings.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The FBI in Mississippi ran the name, found no person with such name to be currently in the system......

.... but I wouldn't condemn them for dropping the ball.

sure he was not 'in the system' no crime committed yet ....

Umm Contact Google ... where did this post come from ?

it amazes me a bunch of Trolls on 4Chan can find Shia Labeouf's "He Will NOT Divide US Flag" from a web cam feed [repeatedly, like 4 times now]

and with the Investigate Tools and Power the FBI has, they cannot find a guy posting a Comment on YouTube.

Hijinx

sure he was not 'in the system' no crime committed yet ....

Umm Contact Google ... where did this post come from ?

it amazes me a bunch of Trolls on 4Chan can find Shia Labeouf's "He Will NOT Divide US Flag" from a web cam feed [repeatedly, like 4 times now]

and with the Investigate Tools and Power the FBI has, they cannot find a guy posting a Comment on YouTube.

None of us are stupid enough to believe that the FBI could not have found this guy if they had bothered to look.

This_person

I think we can universally agree that a person claiming they want to commit mass murder should be investigated. You're the only person I've heard say they shouldn't be.

Again, I ask you - Yep, FBI shows up, sees the video, sees the guns....now what?

Hijinx

Again, I ask you - Yep, FBI shows up, sees the video, sees the guns....now what?

Now the kid knows they are on to him and he may think twice about making stupid statements.
They can go to the school and inform the police on duty there to be on watch.
He may even change his mind if he is worked right, and now his parents also know that their kid is sick and may need professional help.
They may even remove his guns themselves, and keep a firm watch on him.

What does it cost to try?
It would give them something to do besides joining democrats in their coup attempt.

Last edited:

This_person

Now the kid knows they are on to him and he may think twice about making stupid statements.
They can go to the school and inform the police on duty there to be on watch.
He may even change his mind if he is worked right, and now his parents also know that their kid is sick and may need professional help.
They may even remove his guns themselves, and keep a firm watch on him.

What does it cost to try?
It would give them something to do besides joining democrats in their coup attempt.

He had no parents. He was expelled from the school and prohibited from returning with a bag. He knew murder was illegal and was clearly not afraid of his intentions being known if he's announcing it on the internet. He had been in mental health therapy.

Everything everyone thinks should have happened - HAPPENED or is clearly not a factor.

Unless we are going to punish people for speech some other people don't like, an investigation into this young man was meaningless. It would have been a huge waste of time and money.

Hijinx

He had no parents. He was expelled from the school and prohibited from returning with a bag. He knew murder was illegal and was clearly not afraid of his intentions being known if he's announcing it on the internet. He had been in mental health therapy.

Everything everyone thinks should have happened - HAPPENED or is clearly not a factor.

Unless we are going to punish people for speech some other people don't like, an investigation into this young man was meaningless. It would have been a huge waste of time and money.

You man like the Russian Collusion investigation?

black dog

Free America
Which goes back to my previous point - if people want to talk about protecting kids, they should talk about hiring protection for kids, not about infringing upon other people's rights.

Why do they need to be hired? The schools are full of capable adults that are more than willing to be armed. Administration, Teachers, Custodians, Building Engineers, Students of age, All parents and visitors, outside contractors and on and on.
Eliminate Federal and State Gun Free Zones...
That and reopening County and State run mental institutions and this problem will quickly fade away.