F B I National Embarrassment

This_person

If someone posted that they want to be a a famous school shooter, I would indeed report it. If someone posted a serious death threat, I would report it. When it's two posters who don't even know each other going back and forth and insinuating they want to beat each other up, I take it for what it is - childish cyberblather.

In fact I have alerted the police when we had a crazy on here that I thought was a serious threat. I have also alerted SMCSO when I saw death threats being made on a local person's FB page.

Not that the cops can do anything about it anyway because they are pretty much prevented from investigating internet threats. The crazy has to actually kill someone first before they can do anything about it. The most the victim can do is get a restraining order, and umpteen women who were killed by their ex person who had an order against him pretty much prove that it isn't a deterrent.

If you see crazy on social media, you can report it until your fingers fall off and nothing will be done. They won't even delete the post in many cases.

So now the mantra is "if you see something, say something," which is all well and good....but then what?

Then nothing, that's what.

Thank you for making my point. You report serious threats, not random blathering. How is a YouTube video not random blathering?

This_person

We've had enough school/mass shootings at this point where, if the FBI sees such a post by someone, this should have gone to the top of the list of importance to follow up on. It would have been easy to track down who posted that line. Youtube and other blogger website have, no doubt, sysloggers that track every hit to their websites that show source and destination IP addresses. This post had an exact timestamp on it. You go to the administrators of the blog sites and ask them for all of the IP addresses that hit their server at that specific date and time. I would imagine it would narrow down to about a dozen IP addresses, with such a specific timestamp. From there they can easily get who owns that IP address by doing a ipWhois search. You go to that owner/provider of the IP address and they can narrow down to the street and house of where that IP address came from. Boom! You have your subject.

In this age of digital tracking, this isn't hard stuff. It appears to me the FBI put this report on the bottom of their priority list.
We would need to hire millions more agents. Kids say stupid crap at the rate of TranSap-squared.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thank you for making my point. You report serious threats, not random blathering. How is a YouTube video not random blathering?

In the YT video he said he wanted to be a famous school shooter. I consider that a serious threat. Especially since now he is.

PsyOps

Pixelated
We would need to hire millions more agents. Kids say stupid crap at the rate of TranSap-squared.

Actually we wouldn't. As long as we have citizens like Ben Bennight to report to the FBI a very concerning violent threat, this should go to the top of the FBI's list. From there, it would require a team of about 2 and about a week of work to track down where that message came from.

And Tran and Sap don't say anything on here that is threatening or requires being reported; otherwise you would have done so long ago. This isn't about saying stupid crap; this is about making serious threats that we know has actually happened in the recent past.

This_person

Neither Trans nor Sappy have ever threatened to murder people, that I am aware of.

Why are you being obtuse about this?
Because I think a YouTube video is meaningless. I don’t think we should waste the FBI’s time investigating boisterous people.

If we want to protect our children, we should hire security for schools, not investigate people for what they say.

This_person

Actually we wouldn't. As long as we have citizens like Ben Bennight to report to the FBI a very concerning violent threat, this should go to the top of the FBI's list. From there, it would require a team of about 2 and about a week of work to track down where that message came from.

And Tran and Sap don't say anything on here that is threatening or requires being reported; otherwise you would have done so long ago. This isn't about saying stupid crap; this is about making serious threats that we know has actually happened in the recent past.

But, I find this to be like the intelligence saying maybe terrorists will use planes. It seems meaningful after the fact, but if you look at it in real time, it was useless information.

We can’t investigate every time someone who owns a gun mouths off.

PsyOps

Pixelated
If we want to protect our children, we should hire security for schools, not investigate people for what they say.

That is quite incredible. A guy outright states he is going to shoot up a school, and you think it means nothing? Good standard. The next time a radical Jihadist posts a youtube video stating he's going to blow up a school, we should just pretend it's just words and do nothing.

PsyOps

Pixelated
But, I find this to be like the intelligence saying maybe terrorists will use planes. It seems meaningful after the fact, but if you look at it in real time, it was useless information.

We can’t investigate every time someone who owns a gun mouths off.

This wasn't a case of simply mouthing off. Cruz made a comment that concerned a guy enough to contact the FBI. We now see what happens when that "useless" comment is ignored.

This_person

Well, I disagree with you. If someone specifically says they are going to commit mass murder, I think we should take them seriously.

So when a distraught spouse screams “I’m going to kill you,” do we treat it as valid?

But, let’s say you’re right. The FBI show up and find out.... what, exactly? He owns guns... and then what?

black dog

Free America
Because I think a YouTube video is meaningless. I don’t think we should waste the FBI’s time investigating boisterous people.

How many security officers should each school have?

This_person

This wasn't a case of simply mouthing off. Cruz made a comment that concerned a guy enough to contact the FBI. We now see what happens when that "useless" comment is ignored.

Same question - what could or should have been found in the investigation of the video? Arrest him for being threatening? Are we going to remove the right to own guns based on being a blowhole?

This_person

I don’t think any. I think we are safe and so are our kids.

Having 100 people die per day of drug abuse is a reality. How many people are shot at school every day? Let’s work on real problems, not insignificant ones.

black dog

Free America

This_person;5851129[B said:
]I don’t think any. I think we are safe and so are our kids.
[/B]
Having 100 people die per day of drug abuse is a reality. How many people are shot at school every day? Let’s work on real problems, not insignificant ones.

I have my WTF face on..... :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So when a distraught spouse screams “I’m going to kill you,” do we treat it as valid?

But, let’s say you’re right. The FBI show up and find out.... what, exactly? He owns guns... and then what?

Let me be clear:

I agree with your basic point. School shootings get a lot of attention, but they are statistically insignificant when it comes to young people's cause of death. But the media goes crazy and tells us to get upset, so we do. Again, more kids die in car accidents than school shootings. More die from drug overdose. And more die from parental violence. Yet we don't seem to want to do anything about that....because the media hasn't told us to care about it.

However, I do think that when someone goes to the trouble to make a video and upload it to social media, saying they are going to commit a mass murder, we should take that seriously. It's ignorant not to.

This_person

I have my WTF face on..... :shrug:

If people want to talk about protecting kids, they should talk about protecting kids not infringing upon other people's rights.

I don't think the kids need more protection.

Freedom is scary and dangerous and FAR better than authoritarian rule. It's certainly better than rule-by-fear-mongering.

How many kids have gone to school this school year, and for how many days? How likely is it that a given kid will get shot on a given day? The answer is, the likelihood is infinitesimally-small.

We jump up and down and fret, but, it's not like a real worry.

On any given year, 19 kids are killed by school buses (whether in or a pedestrian near).

Over the same timeframe (2000-2009), on average, 20 kids per year were shot at school.

We're talking an actually insignificant thing here on a statistical level.

Yes, every death is a tragedy when it is a defenseless, innocent child. But, are the deaths by getting hit by a school bus less tragic? No, I don't think so. Are you ready to ban school buses, or do special investigations whenever a school bus driver gets angry on his own time at home?

Last edited:

This_person

Let me be clear:

I agree with your basic point. School shootings get a lot of attention, but they are statistically insignificant when it comes to young people's cause of death. But the media goes crazy and tells us to get upset, so we do. Again, more kids die in car accidents than school shootings. More die from drug overdose. And more die from parental violence. Yet we don't seem to want to do anything about that....because the media hasn't told us to care about it.

Now, see, I want to accept this, but I know YOU are not stupid, and do not choose to be upset based on what you are told to be upset about.

However, I do think that when someone goes to the trouble to make a video and upload it to social media, saying they are going to commit a mass murder, we should take that seriously. It's ignorant not to.

Again, I ask you....the FBI shows up on his doorstep because some guy said the video this young man made was scary. Now what? We find out he legally owns guns - that's a given. Now what?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Again, I ask you....the FBI shows up on his doorstep because some guy said the video this young man made was scary. Now what? We find out he legally owns guns - that's a given. Now what?

Exactly! I'm already beyond tired of "The FBI dropped the ball" nonsense.