F.y.i.

frequentflier

happy to be living
oh god... dont even get me started on this....
we have a vet that went off when a few of us made a comment about a puppy that needed to be neutered.... she said.. no he didnt... :confused:

he is not a show dog, will never be one, has nothing to give back to the "breed" to make it better and improve the breeds standards... YEP.. SHOULD BE NEUTERED...

she flipped out and said that it didnt cut down on dogs going a stray to find a female in heat... it didnt change the behavior at all...... :bs: It makes a world of difference!!! I have no clue where she came from... but just because she didnt neuter her dog and wants to bring in more pups in this world... she can be the irresponsible one :shrug: (and her dog has issues and she still wants to breed him) :cds:

Just goes to show that even the most educated of people can still be pretty stupid!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I Second that!

:high5:

I have three dogs that should have gone to the show ring... but with my male he started to show a fault.. nothing major but.... it was enough for him never to place..and I dont want that trait passed down... he places his front feet east and west... most people will never notice unless I point it out. so I had him fixed at 9 months...

and my female that has EVERYTHING the ring would want... has a major fear of men.. so that would not work. Per her contract she was to be breed but as I sat and talked to my breeder about a few things...she was VERY understanding and gave me permission to go ahead and spay her :yay:.... now thats a great breeder! one who understands and is not putting pups on the ground just for the money!

my other female... is my working dog... I have no intention of ever show her (but she would have done well... as long as the judge didnt talk to her... then she would wag herself to the other side of the room)..... I did wait till she was almost at her first heat just so I can tack her stomach....

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
:high5:

I have three dogs that should have gone to the show ring... but with my male he started to show a fault.. nothing major but.... it was enough for him never to place..and I dont want that trait passed down... he places his front feet east and west... most people will never notice unless I point it out. so I had him fixed at 9 months...

and my female that has EVERYTHING the ring would want... has a major fear of men.. so that would not work. Per her contract she was to be breed but as I sat and talked to my breeder about a few things...she was VERY understanding and gave me permission to go ahead and spay her :yay:.... now thats a great breeder! one who understands and is not putting pups on the ground just for the money!

my other female... is my working dog... I have no intention of ever show her (but she would have done well... as long as the judge didnt talk to her... then she would wag herself to the other side of the room)..... I did wait till she was almost at her first heat just so I can tack her stomach....

I have spayed a few I wished I hadn't. I also tend to try and grow them out if I think they are show. I love AKC's Limited Registration Program which helps insure there AKC papers aren't used illegally. I would never force someone to breed if they didn't want too, especially with a pom. I have a boy now I am growing out he is a yr old and super cute, but still in puppy gear so that is fun to deal with. I also have a girl about the same age that belongs to a friend that is very ill in Washington (state). I took her so she could focus on getting better. I like the girl better then the boy at this point. She is one good moving pom. Structure is outstanding. Took her to a match on Sunday and got lots of good complements on her, if she doesn't slow down though I am going to have a run with her in the ring. Poms are known for cuteness and hair not movement so getting it isn't easy. I was ring side one day watching and a lady from another breed asked me what the judge was looking at when she picked her winners. I said cute and fluffy, why? She said doesn't she care if they can walk to the food and water at 8yrs old. I said Guess Not...Someone can carry them they are cute. =) Sad but true.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I have spayed a few I wished I hadn't. I also tend to try and grow them out if I think they are show. I love AKC's Limited Registration Program which helps insure there AKC papers aren't used illegally. I would never force someone to breed if they didn't want too, especially with a pom. I have a boy now I am growing out he is a yr old and super cute, but still in puppy gear so that is fun to deal with. I also have a girl about the same age that belongs to a friend that is very ill in Washington (state). I took her so she could focus on getting better. I like the girl better then the boy at this point. She is one good moving pom. Structure is outstanding. Took her to a match on Sunday and got lots of good complements on her, if she doesn't slow down though I am going to have a run with her in the ring. Poms are known for cuteness and hair not movement so getting it isn't easy. I was ring side one day watching and a lady from another breed asked me what the judge was looking at when she picked her winners. I said cute and fluffy, why? She said doesn't she care if they can walk to the food and water at 8yrs old. I said Guess Not...Someone can carry them they are cute. =) Sad but true.

I hear ya on the Limited Reg.
it sucks with GSD's.... they want the angulation in the rear... but the sad thing is .. that's just for show :shrug: that takes away from the breeds real purpose .. and thats to "work" AKC will not give two looks at a GSD if he/she shows strong characteristics of a pure German line :coffee:

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
I hear ya on the Limited Reg.
it sucks with GSD's.... they want the angulation in the rear... but the sad thing is .. that's just for show :shrug: that takes away from the breeds real purpose .. and thats to "work" AKC will not give two looks at a GSD if he/she shows strong characteristics of a pure German line :coffee:

I know what you mean on the GSD's I have had the dicussion a few times with people. Sad thing is AKC only approves the standard. They are written by the National Breed clubs for each breed and guess who that is? Yep Breeders! If they would unite and agree to things for the betterment of the breeds we would be a lot better off. We are looking at a new standard in Poms coming out and it sucks in ways. They are making them shorter and shorter in back meaning they will stop being able to move as the rear legs are going to just hit the rib cage and loose what drive they have. My Multiple Best in Show Specialty, Award of Merit (one at Westminster), winner doesn't have the best movement he was a easy finish, while my boy with movement took forever to finish his AKC championship....WHY? because he is on the higher end of the weight standard and his ears are a little big. He is the one you see next to my posts too. Here is a pic of the one with all the titles...

Attachments

• topo sma.JPG
    topo sma.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I know what you mean on the GSD's I have had the dicussion a few times with people. Sad thing is AKC only approves the standard. They are written by the National Breed clubs for each breed and guess who that is? Yep Breeders! If they would unite and agree to things for the betterment of the breeds we would be a lot better off. We are looking at a new standard in Poms coming out and it sucks in ways. They are making them shorter and shorter in back meaning they will stop being able to move as the rear legs are going to just hit the rib cage and loose what drive they have. My Multiple Best in Show Specialty, Award of Merit (one at Westminster), winner doesn't have the best movement he was a easy finish, while my boy with movement took forever to finish his AKC championship....WHY? because he is on the higher end of the weight standard and his ears are a little big. He is the one you see next to my posts too. Here is a pic of the one with all the titles...

And I thought my dog was fluffy. :lol: She's show worthy, but not why I got her, so she's fixed.

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

ooohhhh i love him..... we had a woman that rescued a pom from a puppy mill situation in the other day oohh it was a sad story... he was like no other pom I had ever handled.... he was very nice... (some are.. some are not)
the ones that are ... usually are well socialize and the others are not

And I thought my dog was fluffy. :lol: She's show worthy, but not why I got her, so she's fixed.

Im gonna come and take her.... I love her so much... :whistle:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I think you have to stand in line. :lol: She has gotten into a thing where she has conversations with you. Ask her a question and she'll answer. :lol:

nope.... im gonna just take/replace with one of mine... you will never no the difference :whistle::popcorn: :jerry:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I just hope they don't mind using her toothbrush. :lol:

no... she will have her own... all my guys have their own toothbrushes...on the bathroom sink..(in their OWN holder :yay:)

including the kitties.....

they have to have their teeth brushed two times a day... and they all line up at the bathroom.. or they all try to squeeze into the bathroom at the same time... GOOD TIMES!!

Most parents ask me to train their kids to want to brush their teeth like my dogs do!!

Mama_Mia08

That's Awful

I would love to have a cat again but we can't afford vet bills right now and I wouldn't want to adopt and not be able to get it spay/neutered or vaccinated. I fell in love with a cat on the Tri-county website awhile back. We had a kitten that ran out the door in December and never came back which is another fear I have. My kids were so upset.

I cannot stand irresponsible pet owners. We have 2 neighbors that have a bazillion cats running around. They keep most of them outside. The cats have kittens constantly so they aren't fixed. They are mangy looking, make messes all over the place, and a few are mean. It makes me mad but I don't want the cats put down either.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
ooohhhh i love him..... we had a woman that rescued a pom from a puppy mill situation in the other day oohh it was a sad story... he was like no other pom I had ever handled.... he was very nice... (some are.. some are not)
the ones that are ... usually are well socialize and the others are not

Well if you saw his personality you would be in complete LOVE. He is a oh you want me to ???? OK dog. He has been more places then I have. Yes, I am jelous of my dog.

I hate these bad breeders. They are doing nothing, but giving the good ones a bad name. Most of mine are well socialized. One I have let get too bratty and when she barks too much. She goes to the bedroom when company comes and she will not behave. :cds: Horrible treatment isn't it. :whistle:

I also take responsibilty for allow it. It isn't her fault it is mine. As they say take ownership of your mistakes. We are slowly working on correcting it.