F.y.i.

Why are there so many posts about breeding animals in a thread that was posted in order to bring to light that there are way TOO many cats and dogs being born in our tri-county area...:doh:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Well if you saw his personality you would be in complete LOVE. He is a oh you want me to ???? OK dog. He has been more places then I have. Yes, I am jelous of my dog.

I hate these bad breeders. They are doing nothing, but giving the good ones a bad name. Most of mine are well socialized. One I have let get too bratty and when she barks too much. She goes to the bedroom when company comes and she will not behave. :cds: Horrible treatment isn't it. :whistle:

I also take responsibilty for allow it. It isn't her fault it is mine. As they say take ownership of your mistakes. We are slowly working on correcting it.

I was upset that her RDVM called the dog mentally retarded.. :mad: :burning:
NNOOOOO!!!! the effing dog has been tramatized most of its life.. living life in a crate not know what it wast to have human contact, to walk around, to be a dog.

she said when she got him all he would do was just stand there.... and when he started to walk around..it was in circles.. :bawl:

how dare a DVM call a dog that ... I would have smacked the chit out him.. packed my dog up and never gone back.

It broke my heart... just for the fact I know what one of my dogs had been thru and things he was scared of and never introduced to in his puppy hood... and took time for him to over come this things... he did and his is AMAZING!! :yahoo:

TurboK9

the effing dog has been tramatized most of its life.. living life in a crate not know what it wast to have human contact, to walk around, to be a dog.

That's how my Harley was found. Two years like that. Layers of poo and pee sandwiched in layers of blankets in the crate.

He came out OK. :yay:

It doesn't take much, just effort, patience, and knowing what compels dogs. :yay:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
That's how my Harley was found. Two years like that. Layers of poo and pee sandwiched in layers of blankets in the crate.

He came out OK. :yay:

It doesn't take much, just effort, patience, and knowing what compels dogs. :yay:

YEP... she has worked with the pup.. and he has come a long way...

just sucks that in her head she has always thought that the dog was retarded because the vet said so... thats so wrong

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
YEP... she has worked with the pup.. and he has come a long way...

just sucks that in her head she has always thought that the dog was retarded because the vet said so... thats so wrong

That sucks....I have a hard time getting the hard questions answered from my vets because they don't want me to ever stop trying.

Speaking of not giving up - Anyone know a way to train Fight or Flight Syndrome out of a dog? He never chooses Fight always Flight. We have it under control for us and the people that sit for us, but I still worry more can be done for him. He takes to carrying toys now if he is upset and isn't always great at recall, but we have our work arounds.

TurboK9

That sucks....I have a hard time getting the hard questions answered from my vets because they don't want me to ever stop trying.

Speaking of not giving up - Anyone know a way to train Fight or Flight Syndrome out of a dog? He never chooses Fight always Flight. We have it under control for us and the people that sit for us, but I still worry more can be done for him. He takes to carrying toys now if he is upset and isn't always great at recall, but we have our work arounds.

It takes a lot of conditioning. And it isn't always nice. It isn't a 'syndrome' and what you seem to be talking about has little to do with defensive behavior... you really don't want the dog to fight do you? Just not be fearful, right?

If so, how old, and how long has the behavior been ongoing? Like any undesirable behavior it is best to avoid it in the first place by inducing confidence from day one, in the form of encouragement in exploration of 'scary' things... Too often people coddle a fearful (especially small) dog, and the behavior gets reinforced and the dog does it eventually because it is engrained... Hard to break at that point, but possible.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It takes a lot of conditioning. And it isn't always nice. It isn't a 'syndrome' and what you seem to be talking about has little to do with defensive behavior... you really don't want the dog to fight do you? Just not be fearful, right?

If so, how old, and how long has the behavior been ongoing? Like any undesirable behavior it is best to avoid it in the first place by inducing confidence from day one, in the form of encouragement in exploration of 'scary' things... Too often people coddle a fearful (especially small) dog, and the behavior gets reinforced and the dog does it eventually because it is engrained... Hard to break at that point, but possible.[/QUOTE]

:whistle::whistle::whistle: ooohhhh I think some of knows someone like this .. and not with a small dog!!! :whistle::whistle::popcorn: :coffee:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have trained a few people in TNR so they can do it and train others - I need help to make a DVD that we can circulate to people to TEACH them how to do TNR. Anyone good at public speaking that would like to volunteer to help make a TNR DVD? Does anyone have the video equipment to make the DVD?

I have a good idea on how to make it a Community Project to get people all over the Country to help their own neighborhoods.

We can also post to You Tube to do online promotion, but some people would benefit from the distribution of the DVD.

891 feral cats euthanized

This number speaks VOLUMES for the OBVIOUS need for managed TNR programs.

I am running a self funded colony and have only received financial assistance with the spay/neuter cost. Believe me, it is an expense I question often but never cut.

IF CCHS has REAL programs to aid in this effort that so many are willing to give their time and money to - perhaps the numbers overall would be reduced. Look to the District people!

Spay & Neutar as many animals as possible!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Oh my - the things I learn about you on this forum! I'm shocked !!!

So, maybe I need teeth brushing lessons for my critters???

no... she will have her own... all my guys have their own toothbrushes...on the bathroom sink..(in their OWN holder :yay:)

including the kitties.....

they have to have their teeth brushed two times a day... and they all line up at the bathroom.. or they all try to squeeze into the bathroom at the same time... GOOD TIMES!!

Most parents ask me to train their kids to want to brush their teeth like my dogs do!!

onelove6366

I think that amount of tooth brushing is obsessive and how does this person find time for this stuff?

I barely have enough time in my day to brush my OWN teeth two times!

Dinky freaks out when I try to spray the anti-itch stuff on her or the Bitter Apple for her obsessive cleaning problem. I can only imagine the reaction I'd get if I tried to brush her teeth. Remember this is the cat that I went to the vet about her behavior/nervousness issues to ALONE. The cat would NOT get in the cage. That was humiliating for me and now she will not take the pills either.

Ark - DVD sounds like a good idea but I'm not the girl for the job!

Oh my - the things I learn about you on this forum! I'm shocked !!!

So, maybe I need teeth brushing lessons for my critters???

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think that amount of tooth brushing is obsessive and how does this person find time for this stuff?

Dinky freaks out when I try to spray the anti-itch stuff on her or the Bitter Apple for her obsessive cleaning problem. I can only imagine the reaction I'd get if I tried to brush her teeth. Remember this is the cat that I went to the vet about her behavior/nervousness issues to ALONE. The cat would NOT get in the cage. That was humiliating for me and now she will not take the pills either.

I brush my little girl's teeth. It's a habit like grooming that you need to get your pet into from the moment you bring them home. IMHO My old dog used to love toothbrushing time, because he equated it with a massage.

However, that being said, I don't equate any cat into appreciating any kind of assistance in their affairs. :lol:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

:shrug: what is 5 mins? thats all it takes! My dogs love it...and I started them out when they were puppies by letting them lick toothpaste from the toothbrush.. then made it a game by moving it around.. then by brushing ...

:coffee: my 5yr old has teeth of a puppy... I will NEVER have to do a dental on my dogs.. plus it cuts down on doggie stink mouth animals suffer from dental issues as do we!

Cowgirl

I have trained a few people in TNR so they can do it and train others - I need help to make a DVD that we can circulate to people to TEACH them how to do TNR.

Ok, not to be rude, but how hard is it? You trap the cats, get them altered, and release them. What is there to train?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It can get quite involved because it starts from feeding at the same time, same place. How you need to calmly/quickly remove each trapped cat from the trapping area. Then we talk about tips to use to catch hard-to-trap cats, how to cover the trap to calm the cat. Places to keep the cats over-night and the steps to take to protect surfaces when transporting the trapped cats. It just goes on and on. You'd be surprised how many questions people ask also.

There is a whole section on how to transfer the cat to a crate/cage without the cat escaping. Includes providing a box for the cat to hide behind and covering the back part of the crate/cage to darken it so the cat is drawn to the back of the crate/cage.

Then yet more information about how to feed/water the cats and change the litter w/o the cat escaping. Tips on where and how to release the cats. For people who are not familiar with feral cats, there's a lot they need to know to be successful.

Ok, not to be rude, but how hard is it? You trap the cats, get them altered, and release them. What is there to train?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It can get quite involved because it starts from feeding at the same time, same place. How you need to calmly/quickly remove each trapped cat from the trapping area. Then we talk about tips to use to catch hard-to-trap cats, how to cover the trap to calm the cat. Places to keep the cats over-night and the steps to take to protect surfaces when transporting the trapped cats. It just goes on and on. You'd be surprised how many questions people ask also.

There is a whole section on how to transfer the cat to a crate/cage without the cat escaping. Includes providing a box for the cat to hide behind and covering the back part of the crate/cage to darken it so the cat is drawn to the back of the crate/cage.

Then yet more information about how to feed/water the cats and change the litter w/o the cat escaping. Tips on where and how to release the cats. For people who are not familiar with feral cats, there's a lot they need to know to be successful.

wow

I do know they are fast and I swear they have butter all over them they way they can get thru things... we have had a few cats get loose at the vet and go MIA for days (feral ones)... Im talking like getting up in the ceiling :jet:
AND for those that think a cat cant jump straight up from a table, pop a ceiling tile out and keep getting it.... :coffee: let me tell you ... been there and seen it and wish I had the video to it...
we all almost pissed our pants:killingme

onelove6366

:shrug: what is 5 mins? thats all it takes! My dogs love it...and I started them out when they were puppies by letting them lick toothpaste from the toothbrush.. then made it a game by moving it around.. then by brushing ...

:coffee: my 5yr old has teeth of a puppy... I will NEVER have to do a dental on my dogs.. plus it cuts down on doggie stink mouth animals suffer from dental issues as do we!

Well I can quite certainly tell you that Dinky will NOT love it at all. I am not brushing my cats teeth. No way no how.

5 minutes? I have a 14 + feral colony outside of my back door that gets fed 2X a day. Between fighting off the other wildlife out for the cat food - including the DEER, picking up poop from my yard and placing it in the desired litter area and montoring the yard for new piles along with the rest of my life - I am NOT going to add brushing the cat's teeth to this because then would be dressing my wounds next! LOL!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Well I can quite certainly tell you that Dinky will NOT love it at all. I am not brushing my cats teeth. No way no how.

5 minutes? I have a 14 + feral colony outside of my back door that gets fed 2X a day. Between fighting off the other wildlife out for the cat food - including the DEER, picking up poop from my yard and placing it in the desired litter area and montoring the yard for new piles along with the rest of my life - I am NOT going to add brushing the cat's teeth to this because then would be dressing my wounds next! LOL!

OOHHH my... ICyourpoint

well the two kittens are not sold on the idea YET!!! But my years as a tech I have seen what happens to kitty teeth.. and they are the worst out of them all. Most of the time they need pulled, fall out or develop a nasty infection... so.... Im gonna try to keep this from happening to the kitties!!! They dont get the daily treatment... maybe once a week.... They get even in their own way after I try :killingme

PrepH4U

But think of what a great video it would be!
One lady armed with only a toothbrush decides to take on a colony of feral cats....... :killingme

onelove6366

WEll good luck with that. I don't have vet tech experience so I will remain blissfully ignorant! :)

OOHHH my... ICyourpoint

well the two kittens are not sold on the idea YET!!! But my years as a tech I have seen what happens to kitty teeth.. and they are the worst out of them all. Most of the time they need pulled, fall out or develop a nasty infection... so.... Im gonna try to keep this from happening to the kitties!!! They dont get the daily treatment... maybe once a week.... They get even in their own way after I try :killingme

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
When my indoor feral was sedated to get her last Rabies vaccination, I also had her teeth cleaned - and her breath is MUCH improved.

In time I'll get the shelter kitty done too. Today I had the shelter kitty in to the vet for anal gland cleaning and ended up also with tape worm meds just in case (she had been ravaged by fleas before I got her) and has been scooting on her butt. She was not a happy camper at the vet's office at all. Poor baby was mad at me.

OOHHH my... ICyourpoint