Fair or not?

ImnoMensa

Nothing in this life is fair, but you have to wonder about a person who would alow someone to go to jail for their lie.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I haven't heard that one. John Henry and his hammer, Paul Bunyan and his blue ox and Billy the innocent rapist. Yeah, I don't think so.

This guy will have this on his record

Not sure what you mean by this, but no. He won't. He has been cleared of all charges, and everyone now knows he was put in jail for a lie, and feel sorry for him. "folk hero" refers to someone who gains noteriety for something and generally has a sympathetic following...nothing to do with folk tales.:lmao:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Not sure what you mean by this, but no. He won't. He has been cleared of all charges, and everyone now knows he was put in jail for a lie, and feel sorry for him. "folk hero" refers to someone who gains noteriety for something and generally has a sympathetic following...nothing to do with folk tales.:lmao:
Either way I don't see this character as a "folk hero".

He'll still have this on his record. It's history.

Toxick

Splat
He'll still have this on his record. It's history.

At the very least his record should be expunged so he doesn't have to be identified as an 'ex-con' or 'convicted felon' or sex offender, even though he was in fact, convicted of a sexual felony.

The #### who lied should be knee-capped while in prison for being a lying ####.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not only did this poor guy lose 4 years of his life, enduring god only knows what while in prison, but this woman's lie made it tougher for real rape victims to bring their attacker to justice.

So this woman adversely affected many, many lives. I'm diggin' on the execution. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just out of curiosity, why would the innocent guys past come into play for your decision on how to punish the guilty party? I do agree with you that I think her sentence should be doubled at the minimum. But I don't care how much time she does, it will never compare to the time that he did with all the "special attention" i'm sure he got. Rape has got to be the worst, most traumatic things a woman can go through, being accused and convicted of it and being innocent is probably one of the worst things a man could go through.

If the innocent guy has a record as long as your arm, especially current stuff, I simply have less sympathy and, to me, this would factor into HER punishment. People should be rewarded for good behavior over time and people who have been bad, over time, should suffer, if nothing else, some doubt.

Again, I am wondering why he was convicted in the first place. My suspicion is that he has at least somewhat of a sketchy past. TV wants us to believe that absolutely innocent, good people go to jail all the time, end up on skid row and become criminals due to an unjust system and I am sure that happens once in a great while. However, more often than not, the 'victim' isn't always such a totally innocent bystander.

I think that should matter at least a little.

Gonzalez, 27, had recanted her story last year after new DNA evidence proved she'd been lying and a priest to whom she'd confessed urged her to come clean.

Ok, so if she wasn't raped to begin with, what kind of DNA evidence was there? Did she have sex with another guy before having the rape kit performed? Who's DNA was the original "evidence"?

Ok, so if she wasn't raped to begin with, what kind of DNA evidence was there? Did she have sex with another guy before having the rape kit performed? Who's DNA was the original "evidence"?

The DNA was from saliva in bite marks on her arm and shoulder.

Apparently, her friends were pissed that she left with Mr. McCaffrey, and started calling her complaining (I'm not sure, but she might have left them stranded or something). So, she returned to meet her girlfriends and they got into a fight (which included someone breaking a car window). Presumably, the bites happened during that fight. The next morning, Peguero (now Gonzalez) went to a hospital and said that she had been raped and threatened with a knife.

At some point after McCaffrey was convicted, his attorney managed to get the saliva samples tested (or maybe re-tested). The tests revealed that the samples came from a woman (though not from Peguero). This raises some interesting new questions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/nyregion/12dna.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/nyregion/08freed.html

If the innocent guy has a record as long as your arm, especially current stuff, I simply have less sympathy and, to me, this would factor into HER punishment. People should be rewarded for good behavior over time and people who have been bad, over time, should suffer, if nothing else, some doubt.

Again, I am wondering why he was convicted in the first place. My suspicion is that he has at least somewhat of a sketchy past. TV wants us to believe that absolutely innocent, good people go to jail all the time, end up on skid row and become criminals due to an unjust system and I am sure that happens once in a great while. However, more often than not, the 'victim' isn't always such a totally innocent bystander.

I think that should matter at least a little.

From the article linked in the OP:

Her lie -- blurted out as her girlfriends were slapping her around -- took on a life of its own, fueled in part by McCaffrey's long rap sheet of violent arrests.

So, in your view, if a rape victim had a long rap sheet of prostitution arrests, should that reality affect the rapist's sentence? Assume that there is absolutely no doubt that he raped her and that the rape had nothing to do with her being a prostitute - it wasn't some kind of 'misunderstanding' about consent. He's a POS rapist, and his victim just happened to be a prostitute.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, in your view, if a rape victim had a long rap sheet of prostitution arrests, should that reality affect the rapist's sentence? Assume that there is absolutely no doubt that he raped her and that the rape had nothing to do with her being a prostitute - it wasn't some kind of 'misunderstanding' about consent. He's a POS rapist, and his victim just happened to be a prostitute.

It makes a difference to me that the non-rapist has a string of violent offenses. Now I've changed my mind and fake rape girl should get a medal for getting him off the streets for those four years. Or maybe they could just stick them in a cage and let them fight it out.

I should know better than to comment on some news story before I get all the details.

This_person

Not only did this poor guy lose 4 years of his life, enduring god only knows what while in prison, but this woman's lie made it tougher for real rape victims to bring their attacker to justice.

So this woman adversely affected many, many lives. I'm diggin' on the execution. :shrug:

:yeahthat:

tom88

For now, and maybe for the near future, but what about after that? So the guy now has to have this expunged from his record. Lets say that he goes to work for the federal government in an intelligence section in twenty years. He has to answer questions about his background. Have you ever been convicted of a crime? (A) yes. Now, he will go on to tell the interviewer that he was wrongfully convicted and the woman recanted and went to jail...blah blah blah...but there will always be doubt in people's mind, well did he really do it?