Fall/Winter Dinners

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Have you ever tried Mushroom onion roast? I'm making one now.

Beef pot roast
10 oz can of condensed mushroom soup
4 oz can of mushroom stems & pieces
1 bag of dry onion soup mix.

Put all in a cooking bag, I put that in the Dutch oven and stick it in the oven at 275 for about 4 hours.
Comes out fork tender and the mushroom gravy is great over rice or mashed potatoes.
Can't do that one, we had a long discussion a couple of years ago on the evils of canned mushroom soup.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I don't think I've even ever had chicken and dumplings, so I used a bisquick recipe tonight. It actually turned out pretty good - had seconds and I'm told it freezes well. It's a bit time consuming and God do I need a nap - really filling.
I make a quick chicken and dumpling using a rotisserie chicken. Remove all of the meat and simmer the bones for about half an hour in just about a quart and a half of water and add a can of cream of chicken and a can of cream of mushroom soup (yes I saw that, it's a do as I say not as I do thing) then add bisquick dumplings. It's done in under an hour and is delicious. The person that came up with the original recipe thinks I'm an anarchist for using a precooked chicken and also uses the frozen flat dumplings, but they never seem done to me.

Speaking of chicken and dumplings, if you ever happen to be at Cracker Barrel and see the chicken and dumplings on the menu, just....don't. ever.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Speaking of chicken and dumplings, if you ever happen to be at Cracker Barrel and see the chicken and dumplings on the menu, just....don't. ever.

Yeah, Monello did that one time. :lol: There was like one measly shred of chicken in it.

Our current local grocery store is called "Amigos" and it's mostly a Mexican market with American sensibilities. I got a pound of carnitas from their hot bar the other day, along with some of their fresh tortillas, and we've been eating on that.

What was wrong with it?
The "dumplings" were these little 1/4" balls of goo. Like eating raw flour mixed with water, about the same texture. The rest of it wasn't anything to rave about either.
Is the liquid part supposed to be thin, gravy like, or thicker?
It's whatever you wish it to be. I like it a bit on the thicker side, but not so thick or thin I can't sop it up with bread and butter.

I can never get the right thickness using Bisquick or flour, wind up using way more flour that necessary, so my fallback is instant potato. Add a little bit at a time and it thickens pretty well, but adds it's own flavor. If I'm doing it right, I make a rue of flour and butter, then add the thin broth slowly until I have what I want.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
For an easy weeknight dinner, I do chicken and dumplings in the crock pot. I usually use chicken breasts cause that's what hubby likes.

4 B/S Chicken Breasts
Two cans Condensed Chicken with Herbs soup
One large carton of chicken broth. I forget how many ounces

Mix soup and broth well then pour over chicken in crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4. Shred chicken and return to crock. Set heat to HI, then add prepared bisquick dumplings, quartered refrigerated biscuits, extra wide noodles, or frozen dumplings, whatever you like, and cook for 30-60 minutes until done. Sometimes I also add frozen mixed veggies when cooking the chicken. With the noodles it makes a great, thick chicken soup.

I make my chicken and dumplings using whole legs and thighs and serve it that way. My grandma made it that way, and just got used to it.

I like the Bisquick dumplings and follow the recipe on the box, large 4-5" blobs on top, cooked covered for 20 min, then uncovered for 20 more,and serve the dumpling whole on the side.

Lump

I made this tonight too. Yummy - I even screwed up on the spices and it was still yummy - I bet it freezes well. Did you use the mozzarella? I couldn't imagine both cheddar and mozzarella so I left it off. Still yummy.
It does freeze well. Yep, I used both cheddar and mozzarella.

Lump

I think I did it right then; the dumplings were done all the way through - just wasn't sure about the thickness. I think next time, I'll be a little more patient with waiting for it to thicken. And I'm going to use your roux with butter. I took some out of the freezer this morning just to see if it really did freeze well (yeah right, that was the reason) and was thinking butter would be really good on this. Have to try that next time. Thanks for getting back to me.
It also thickens as the dumplings break down.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Think I'm going to make this as I picked up local butternut squash and apples from Trossbach's last weekend: