Fallen Satellite could kill many if direct hit

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wiki...

...says some engineers had concerns;

NASA management failed to recognize the relevance of engineering concerns for safety. Two examples of this were failure to honor engineer requests for imaging to inspect possible damage, and failure to respond to engineer requests about status of astronaut inspection of the left wing. Engineering made three separate requests for Department of Defense (DOD) imaging of the shuttle in orbit to more precisely determine damage. While the images were not guaranteed to show the damage, the capability existed for imaging of sufficient resolution to provide meaningful examination.

My memory says it was in the press that there were concerns.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I understand...

If there was a loss of telemetry before they lit the fuse - it will halt... after T-15sec or 10sec they cannot stop the launch sequence.

When the gantry pulls back this is about T-6hrs - there is a no-man zone at about t-3hrs - I think about 10 miles if I remember right.

Either way - they will not launch if there is a hint of an anomally, the sponsor WILL NOT let it happen, believe me - there is a lot of countless hours that go into this.

Once those engines start, there is nothing that can be done - once the payload seperates from the booster and it don't work it becomes a floating brick with a short life.

:EDIT :Telemetry will be provided by the rocket until seperation - after that the satellite has onboard sequencing which will turn it on - if that does not work they try to "talk to it" and if that does not work (after so many tries) it is useless...

...all that, I think. I am talking about once it was already up and gone; they knew they had some pretty bad, unusually bad foam strikes.

...all that, I think. I am talking about once it was already up and gone; they knew they had some pretty bad, unusually bad foam strikes.

I am sorry Larry - I think you are talking about the shuttle and I am talking about the dead satellite to be shot down...

Thanks!

Well within range of the Navys' arsenal...

:yay:

With the payload being dead, they never had a chance to boost it into its operational altitude... I wonder if that is why they want to sink it so quick - maybe it is in another launch's window???

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Previous missions had suffered the foam strikes and NASA pretty much ignored them because up until Columbia they had been lucky that little to no damage resulted. This mindset, in my mind, led to a complacency by those in charge. Had greater scrutiny been given to the events leading up to the destruction of Columbia the crew and ship might have been saved.

For a long read on the matter try the accident report http://caib.nasa.gov/news/report/pdf/vol1/full/caib_report_volume1.pdf

W

Wenchy

Columbia

I was home that day and had the TV on. I told my little guy he could watch something he would never forget, and we settled on the sofa together. I certainly didn't think I would be exposing the boy to live coverage of a breakup on re-entry.

When I started crying he didn't understand. I explained the best I could and went to make him a grilled cheese (his request)

His memory of that day is probably that his mommy made him his favorite treat.

They knew about the damage, but didn't think (or prayed) it would(n't) be a problem.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yup...

Previous missions had suffered the foam strikes and NASA pretty much ignored them because up until Columbia they had been lucky that little to no damage resulted. This mindset, in my mind, led to a complacency by those in charge. Had greater scrutiny been given to the events leading up to the destruction of Columbia the crew and ship might have been saved.

For a long read on the matter try the accident report http://caib.nasa.gov/news/report/pdf/vol1/full/caib_report_volume1.pdf

...but I am just trying to reconstruct the time line and what was public knowledge. I thought we were all told there was a problem that might be worse than normal. I thought I remember them saying nothing can be done. I thought I remembered think 'then order a damn rescue mission and at least try! Don't let those poor bastards die on global TV because the United States of America can't do anything about it!"

PS: Thanks for the b day wish!

Ken King

PREMO Member
...but I am just trying to reconstruct the time line and what was public knowledge. I thought we were all told there was a problem that might be worse than normal. I thought I remember them saying nothing can be done. I thought I remembered think 'then order a damn rescue mission and at least try! Don't let those poor bastards die on global TV because the United States of America can't do anything about it!"

I recall basically what you recall. I don't remember an EVA to check the tiles though.

W

Wenchy

It was public knowledge. You remember correctly, but I'm trying to find what I KNOW I saw/read about before the mission ended.

Could the information have been deleted? :yikes:

I think that's right. They didn't know there was a problem for sure and didn't think it was worth checking on because they couldn't fix it anyway.

While Columbia was still in orbit, some engineers suspected damage, but NASA managers limited the investigation on the grounds that little could be done even if problems were found. (From previous post.)

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Missing tiles.

What? So our anti missile defense only works in calm seas? Nice.

We were discusing that today and it's amazing how many people thought they knew the tiles were missing before reentry.

They were aware of some tile damage, but it was the RCC edge that was the failure point. They come home with tile damage every mission pretty much.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

I think that's right. They didn't know there was a problem for sure and didn't think it was worth checking on because they couldn't fix it anyway.

...so just to add to this, it seems to me I recall that there was time, days, maybe a week or so to do something. I think I remember talk of the crew taking a look.

So, for those far more knowledgeable than me;

Is this something that could be patched in space?

Is it feasible to have another shuttle up in an emergency? How quick can one be put up in an emergency?

Again, my whole point is that the US doesn't just sit there and say 'Oh well, nothing we can do anyhow' when there's still time on the clock.

Ken King

PREMO Member
While Columbia was still in orbit, some engineers suspected damage, but NASA managers limited the investigation on the grounds that little could be done even if problems were found. (From previous post.)
From the CAIB report I sensed that they determined that had action been taken early (prior to day 7 of the mission) a rescue shuttle could have been prepared and launched. Also the report indicates that there was the ability to attempt repair with onboard supplies and equipment. NASA messed up big time and that was one of the reasons that the shuttle program was halted for a while.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah...

From the CAIB report I sensed that they determined that had action been taken early (prior to day 7 of the mission) a rescue shuttle could have been prepared and launched. Also the report indicates that there was the ability to attempt repair with onboard supplies and equipment. NASA messed up big time and that was one of the reasons that the shuttle program was halted for a while.

...something like that is my memory.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I may be wrong. I thought the first hint of a problem was when it burned up. I don't believe they even looked at the bottom of shuttles until after that incident. I'm sure they didn't know where the tiles were missing because it took them a while to put it together. I think.

They were aware of damage, just not the extent of it. They were trying to figure it out, engineers wanted to get extra footage from other sources but the higher ups weren't convinced of the potential risks.

...so just to add to this, it seems to me I recall that there was time, days, maybe a week or so to do something. I think I remember talk of the crew taking a look.

So, for those far more knowledgeable than me;

Is this something that could be patched in space?

Is it feasible to have another shuttle up in an emergency? How quick can one be put up in an emergency?

Again, my whole point is that the US doesn't just sit there and say 'Oh well, nothing we can do anyhow' when there's still time on the clock.

I wish they had. I'll bet they do too.

Go here and you can download the entire accident report. Interesting stuff.
CNN.com - NASA looks to fuel tank in investigation - Feb. 2, 2003