Fallen Satellite could kill many if direct hit

Pete

Repete
Uncle Sam has given orders to try to shoot down the falling satellite.
It's show down time.

So let me get this straight.

If a 5,800 pound object falls from an altitude of about 125 miles and hits me I would die?

:jameo:

rack'm

Jaded
The shuttle should of either grabbed it and brought it back or nudged it into a steeper orbit when it was just up there. (or is the shuttle still up there? :confused:)

Pete

Repete
The shuttle should of either grabbed it and brought it back or nudged it into a steeper orbit when it was just up there. (or is the shuttle still up there? :confused:)

They said on the news that they have to wait to shoot it down until the shuttle lands next week. Guess they don't want to miss and shoot the shuttle :lol:

I would think it is too big to bring back in the shuttle.

The difference with what the Chinese did last year and what we are proposed to do is the Chinese shot their satellite while it was in high orbit scattering space junk in orbit which will not fall to earth for many years. It is now a floating debris field that is a danger to other satellites and the shuttles. We are supposed to shoot ours in low orbit and the debris will fall into the atmosphere and burn up.

They said on the news that they have to wait to shoot it down until the shuttle lands next week. Guess they don't want to miss and shoot the shuttle :lol:

The difference with what the Chinese did last year and what we are proposed to do is the Chinese shot their satellite while it was in high orbit scattering space junk in orbit which will not fall to earth for many years. It is now a floating debris field that is a danger to other satellites and the shuttles. We are supposed to shoot ours in low orbit and the debris will fall into the atmosphere and burn up.

I have a hard time imagining that at least a few of the pieces aren't going to get accelerated or boosted higher in orbit though. It also seems, even though the chunks will be smaller, they will fall over a larger area.

Pete

Repete
I have a hard time imagining that at least a few of the pieces aren't going to get accelerated or boosted higher in orbit though. It also seems, even though the chunks will be smaller, they will fall over a larger area.

The smaller chuncks will burn up and never reach the ground. Big chunks don't burn up as easily.

rack'm

Jaded

I still think they should of grabbed it with the robotic arm and shoved it into a steep orbit to burn up :shrug:

Pete

Repete
I still think they should of grabbed it with the robotic arm and shoved it into a steep orbit to burn up :shrug:

Yea but I think they want to break it up in smaller pieces and be sure the fuel tank is ruptured so the fuel does not remain encapsulated and can burn up.

Remember Skylab? :lol:

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to send up a small booster to attatch magnetically to it and gently accelerate it to a get-outa-town orbit.

It would be cool if this shoot down was planned to happen at night over the Eastern US so we could watch. Star Wars!

Pete

Repete
So the theory goes. I saw a lot of little debris from the shuttle. I'm sure it reentered more slowly though.

It was most of the way through re-entry when it broke up. If it had broken up during the initial stage of re-entry there would have been very little recovered.

rack'm

Jaded
Yea but I think they want to break it up in smaller pieces and be sure the fuel tank is ruptured so the fuel does not remain encapsulated and can burn up.

Not cost effective, that's for sure.

Yea, I'm sure Australia still has pieces of that thing in their ground. :lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt

There's also the possibility that there's a different type of fuel on board.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Experts Scoff at Sat Shoot-Down Rationale (Updated

"The Pentagon says it has to shoot down a malfunctioning spy satellite because of the threat of a toxic gas cloud. Space security experts are calling the rationale highly unlikely. "Having the US government spend millions of dollars to destroy a billion-dollar failure to save zero lives is comedic gold," one tells DANGER ROOM.

Yesterday, Deputy National Security Advisor James Jeffrey said the satellite's tank full of hydrazine rocket propellant was the main reason the military was planning to blast the orbiter. There's a small but real risk that the hydrazine tank could rupture, releasing a "toxic gas" over a "populated area," causing a "risk to human life."

Experts Scoff at Sat Shoot-Down Rationale (Updated) | Danger Room from Wired.com

Operation Rogue Satellite: The Latest | Danger Room from Wired.com

Inside America's Satellite-Killing Missile | Danger Room from Wired.com

Last edited:

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
US Could Try to Down Satellite Wednesday

"WASHINGTON — The Pentagon said Wednesday that the window of opportunity is now open for it to try to shoot down a failing spy satellite.

The Navy is planning to hit the satellite with a heat-seeking missile as early as Wednesday night. But officials had been waiting for the space shuttle Atlantis to return to Earth so it would not be hit by falling debris.

"We're now into the window," a senior defense official told a Pentagon press conference minutes after the shuttle landed at 9:07 a.m. EST.

He said it will remain open until Feb. 29 or 30 and that the decision to attempt a shot will depend on conditions in the atmosphere, such as sea levels, winds and other variables.

"We're watching weather today," he said. The ground rules of the news conference were that the official could not be quoted by name.

The military will be making decisions each day on whether to proceed with an attempt or not _ and criteria could change several times each day, he said."

US Could Try to Down Satellite Wednesday - The Huffington Post