Famous People from SOMD

Hessian

Let Us Not forget our Forefathers!

John Hanson: First presiding officer of the Articles of Confederation Government (1782+)...lived just outside of LaPlata
House is Nat. Park and an interesting 1/2 hour free tour...

Gen Smallwood: Top Maryland Commander during the Rev War...He is creditted with saving G Washington's forces as they evacuated the Haarlem heights in Fall 76. GW gave us the nickname "Old Line" state because of the bravery of the soldiers.

Gen Wilkerson: Calvert County native and sly schemer during the War of 1812...He botched a few things (like the invasion of Canada) and also had a pal named Aaron Burr- Not a real credit to So Md.

I believe there was one or two guys that accompanied Lewis & Clark that were So Mders but I don't recall details.

Lastly: Roger Taney: LONG term on Supreme Court and advocate of State's rights...Appointed by Jackson and ruled in the Dred Scott case of 1857. Really got on the nerves of Lincoln and was nearly detained during the Civil War....replaced during it.
Born & Raised in Calvert County.

Sammy, I'll take another! How's that for the old noggin Normy?

oldredneck

This one is stretching it a bit, but I remember on Don and Mike many years ago they were interviewing the 80's pop singer Rick Astley who said he had family in LaPlata.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Originally posted by SamSpade
You've posted more than twice as often as me, and you use the term "forum *LOSERS*"?

The only ones I know of are the ones almost everyone seems to know of - Ted Koppel apparently owns a home here, and Tom Clancy has a home somewhere up near Huntingtown in Calvert.

I've heard rumor that Ted lives across the River from Webster FIeld.. along one of the runway approaches..

Also heard a rumor that he called PAX complaining about Rotary WIng loitering around his property eyeing his innocent daughters.. of course if he is where they say he is.. if they are hovering over the field, they can see into his property..

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by oldredneck
This one is stretching it a bit, but I remember on Don and Mike many years ago they were interviewing the 80's pop singer Rick Astley who said he had family in LaPlata.

That's interesting, because Astley is British.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Paging Dr. Mudd.

Wasn't he made famous by upholding his hippocratic(sp?) oath because he helped the broken legged John Wilkes Booth during his flight from Washington?

Wasn't Jim Bowie (of Bowie knife fame) a member of the family that founded Bowie? Not sure if he lived in Bowie though so that's probably a bad example.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by ememdee19
There's a wrestler who is from somd, but I can't remember his name. I've also heard that John Glenn once lived there as well.

Scott Hall aka Razor Ramone aka The Diamond Stud
He is straight redneck too. During his quote "gig ", he has a cuba/south miami accent.. but when he is not in character he is pure southern merrland...

I believe his mom used to work at Belk's and on base.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Dami Moore and Bruce Willis own a house in Valley Lee. Bruce Willis uses it alot more than her.

and McCormick spices.. She lives in breton bay. I have met her varuous times through garden club functions along with Bob Hope when he use to come here.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by watercolor
Scott Hall aka Razor Ramone aka The Diamond Stud

(I know I'm going to get it for this one...) Pro wrestlers don't count as celebrities. :lol:

W

wmsaunders

Originally posted by RoseRed
Laura Sisk Wright (soap actress) hails from Dunkirk I believe.

I went to high school with her at Surrattsville High in Clinton. Her family moved to Calvert after graduation.

W

wmsaunders

Originally posted by watercolor
The former drummer is from charlotte hall.. golden beach to be exact.

The twins are from chuck county. :smile:

I lived next door to Paul the bass player when I used to live in Waldorf. Bannister neighborhood on Taylor Ct. to be exact.

jam20636

Famous People

There are quite a few famous people who have at least roots in Southern Maryland.

As mentioned before there was Dashiell Hammett's birthplace located in Great Mills.

At Sotterley there lived J.P. Morgan's daughter who he came to visit occasionally.

Tubby Smith who has been mentioned came from the Ridge area.

Author, F. Scott Fitzgerald's family lived in Tudor Hall as his grandmother was Cecelia Scott daughter of the historically prominent Key family.

Bruce Willis and Demi Moore contracted to have a house built in Valley Lee. However, the owned the house for a month before getting a divorce and selling the estate.

Ted Koppel, newscaster, lives in Cross Manor which is in St. Inigoes.

Doug Hill, weather forecaster ABC 7 news, lives in Valley Lee, MD.

Sylvester Stallone attended the Charlotte Hall Academy for a brief time while his mother was living in Washington, D.C.

Tom Clancy used to live near my grandparents in Huntington in Calvert County. He used to have a big tank in his yard.

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Famous People

Originally posted by jam20636
Sylvester Stallone attended the Charlotte Hall Academy for a brief time while his mother was living in Washington, D.C.
My middle school art teacher went to school with Sly :biggrin: