Fast Food workers wanting 15.00 an hour..really..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Many of them work on the large fruit/vegatable farms. They do the grunt work that no one else wants to do.

never ending circle, if the farms paid $ 20 an hour Americans would do the work ... but them water melon would be $ 15 dollars 2.99 at Aldi's

Larry Gude

Strung Out
never ending circle, if the farms paid $ 20 an hour Americans would do the work ... but them water melon would be $ 15 dollars 2.99 at Aldi's

That is wrong.

At present, we ARE paying $20 an hour for it but, $10 is going to the worker who sends it back home out of the US economy and $10 to the US citizen on extended benefits, producing nothing, doing nothing.

Plus we get all the social costs of a broken immigration system.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I am sure if the UAW agreed to massive pay cuts, more cars would be made in the US otherwise it is cheaper to import parts

It's not even pay cuts. Most of the problem is the legacy costs; the pensions and health care costs, promises made long ago that weren't sustainable then and aren't now.

Don't forget, VW wanted, WANTED their people to vote for some sort of union because VW, long ago, found working WITH their people was better than the standard US style Bloods v. Crips thing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It's not even pay cuts. Most of the problem is the legacy costs; the pensions and health care costs, promises made long ago that weren't sustainable then and aren't now.

paying some guy an ever increasing salary just for years on the job, to bolt the wheels on, is ridiculous ...
.. pay raises should come with increased responsibility - a supervisor or managerial promotion

but hey thats what GM agreed to, they should have been aloud to crash and burn - Hostess did ...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
paying some guy an ever increasing salary just for years on the job, to bolt the wheels on, is ridiculous ...
.. pay raises should come with increased responsibility - a supervisor or managerial promotion

but hey thats what GM agreed to, they should have been aloud to crash and burn - Hostess did ...

If GM knew they were gonna have to face the music, they would have. I will forever be amazed at the reality of a GOP President bailing the UAW out.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If GM knew they were gonna have to face the music, they would have. I will forever be amazed at the reality of a GOP President bailing the UAW out.

The final shots of bailout money, and the sweet deal that the UAW ultimately received while stiffing legacy debt holders, all came about after the June 2009 Bankruptcy. Dubya and Paulsen got the bailout train rolling, but the screwing of the debt holders occurred during Barry's watch.

SG_Player1974

Unions did contribute to the problem. I grew up in Detroit and witnessed "Union Labor" every day.

I knew a guy who worked at an assembly line plant as the JANITOR. Pay you ask......... How about $27/hour! :eyebrow:

Oh... I guess it was well deserved since he had been a master in the "Janitorial Arts" for 19 years!

Also, to the comment about Non-union companies charging just as much..... What do you think would happen if a company could cut their sale price by 25-30% due to cost savings in "real world" wages? Do you really think they could compete charging MORE?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The final shots of bailout money, and the sweet deal that the UAW ultimately received while stiffing legacy debt holders, all came about after the June 2009 Bankruptcy. Dubya and Paulsen got the bailout train rolling, but the screwing of the debt holders occurred during Barry's watch.

And do we think, for one second, were Al Gore potus in '08 and a GOP congress, any of this stupid crap happens? No, we don't. :lol:

MarieB

Good thread.

A lot of the focus has been on illegal immigration, but I think an equally important issue is company abuse of hiring overseas rather Han hiring qualified people here at home. They will tell you there aren't qualified people here at home, but they are mostly lying

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good thread.

A lot of the focus has been on illegal immigration, but I think an equally important issue is company abuse of hiring overseas rather Han hiring qualified people here at home. They will tell you there aren't qualified people here at home, but they are mostly lying

There are qualified people here at home but they don't want to work an entry level job for entry level pay.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
There are qualified people here at home but they don't want to work an entry level job for entry level pay.

And not to forget, if you hire domestically, you need to pay sometimes exhorbitant overhead expenses (health care, unemployment insurance, etc.) Hiring out-of-country, you are just buying a person's time/labor. <--- Typically, not always.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good thread.

As the owner of a company that has actually gone through the (painfull and expensive) process of hiring H1B employees (two or three total over many years..) I can assure you that the skills set of those we hired were definitely not available here at the time. All three of them happened to be Brits. But that aside...it's what?...about 65,000 per year total H1B hires allowed? Agree or disagree with the program, that's a drop in the bucket.