Favorite cut of steak

lovinmaryland

the cost is related to the amount you get from each cow plus the demand. Ever price a brisket?

anyway, i prefer a filet, but mostly because i dont like fat. I like a rare steak and any of those fatty cuts are usally tough or stringy until you cook them a little more.
OMG I know! For the kids birthdays I usually make them their favorite dinner vs all of us going out...well this year my son said he wanted a BBQ dinner w/ smoked brisket, baked beans, corn bread, tater salad, etc... My god we shouldve just gone out to eat! The brisket was $60 some dollars :faint: :lol:
Anything that's free! Seen the price of steak lately?

####! Ground beef is OUTRAGEOUS! They'll have 80/20 on "sale" for $3.99 or $4.99 a lb and then have rib eyes or strip steaks for $5.99...uh sorry steaks it is!!!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Any cut from a bison.

The first time we ever ate buffalo (I think, my word for it) was in Berlin, Germany, of all places in 1965. My dad had heard about a buffalo steakhouse, and while on vacation there, our family found the place and dined there. I had the buffalo burger as an 11 year old, and found it quite tasty. Sure wasn't like the burgers my mom made, but the menu pictures of Buffalo Bill Cody shooting them probably swayed my opinion, but........

Last edited:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Ribeye! Porterhouse is 2nd, although, I can make a pretty decent NY strip if I have to. Flat Iron steak is good, and I also like the Denver steaks. I sure hope the price of beef comes down soon. If not, I will have to sell my children into white slavery because I can't survive without red meat. :bawl:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Buffalo is dry to me because it's so lean. A good bison burger will have a blop of butter mixed in, which kind of negates the health benefits of eating it over cow.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Buffalo is dry to me because it's so lean. A good bison burger will have a blop of butter mixed in, which kind of negates the health benefits of eating it over cow.

You did it... had to stop and by some DelMonicos on the way home.. Yummmmm.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Can't butter be replaced by an egg and/or a bit of olive oil? The egg's not a whole lot better'n butter, but olive oil seems to be a better alternative; or perhaps a packet of Lipton onion soup and a couple Tbsp. of water.....in addition to dry spices like granulated or powdered garlic, cayenne pepper etc......

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Can't butter be replaced by an egg and/or a bit of olive oil?

The meat has almost no fat to it. Some sort of fat needs to be added to it. My first bison burger was the color and consistency of a hockey puck. I ordered it for the experience to see how it was. That meat seems better suited for slow cooking methods.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Can't butter be replaced by an egg and/or a bit of olive oil?

The meat has almost no fat to it. Some sort of fat needs to be added to it. My first bison burger was the color and consistency of a hockey puck. I ordered it for the experience to see how it was. That meat seems better suited for slow cooking methods.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Alton Brown did a show about making the perfect burger. It turns out that the most expensive super-lean hamburger isn't so good if you actually value flavor. He recommends chuck, which is about 80% lean. Grind it yourself, add a little salt and pepper, and you get the best burger ever.

People don't understand that the flavor comes from the fat. If your steak is too lean it will lack flavor. The highest quality beef is that with plenty of fat marbled throughout, like Wagu and Kobe. Cheap beef has less fat. The lack of fat is why tenderloin may be tender, but it also lacks flavor.

Bottom line, to me, if I want to splurge and have a good burger I am not going to pay extra in order to have leaner meat without the flavor. If I have the occasional big, juicy, flavorful burger I satisfy the craving. A flavorless "healthier" burger just leaves me wanting more.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Alton Brown did a show about making the perfect burger. It turns out that the most expensive super-lean hamburger isn't so good if you actually value flavor. He recommends chuck, which is about 80% lean. Grind it yourself, add a little salt and pepper, and you get the best burger ever.

People don't understand that the flavor comes from the fat. If your steak is too lean it will lack flavor. The highest quality beef is that with plenty of fat marbled throughout, like Wagu and Kobe. Cheap beef has less fat. The lack of fat is why tenderloin may be tender, but it also lacks flavor.

Bottom line, to me, if I want to splurge and have a good burger I am not going to pay extra in order to have leaner meat without the flavor. If I have the occasional big, juicy, flavorful burger I satisfy the craving. A flavorless "healthier" burger just leaves me wanting more.

If store bought, yes. 80% is perfect. I won't even try 90%.

That said, I get my cow local and the burger us superb but it is very lean. Something about the quality of the meat, it cooks good and tastes great.

abcxyz

Steaks at most stores are wet aged and contain around 30% water weight. $5.99 or whatever a pound for water is expensive in my book.

We pay $20/lb for dry aged New York strips from Zekiah Farms but it is WELL worth it.

lovinmaryland

If store bought, yes. 80% is perfect. I won't even try 90%.

That said, I get my cow local and the burger us superb but it is very lean. Something about the quality of the meat, it cooks good and tastes great.

I'll testify to this. We got some local fresh meat and OMG its leaps and bounds better than anything store bought. It literally melted in your mouth :yay:

DEEKAYPEE8569

That's why I've mentioned Tri-Tip so many times. This cut of beef is :awesome: Ask your butcher to cut one for you and leave about 1/4 in. of fat. The meat still has fat marbled throughout it, but that layer of fat over the one side helps to self-baste while it's cooking.
If I posted pics already.....well.....this is Tri-Tip; with (185C) and without fat layer (185D):

D*mn.....can't stop :drool:

Attachments

• TRI TIP CUT II.jpg
    TRI TIP CUT II.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 109

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'll testify to this. We got some local fresh meat and OMG its leaps and bounds better than anything store bought. It literally melted in your mouth :yay:

:buddies:

When I make spaghetti or lasagne, brown it, I don't even drain it. Some olive oil, sweat the onions and peppers, brown up some garlic, in goes the meat, then the sauce. No grease to speak of at all and all that great dead local grass eating cow flavor.