Feral Cats - Catch and Release Program?

bcp

In My Opinion
Does anyone have any ideas how I can keep the cats out of my yard? I have a privacy fence but is not doing the job.

I've tried chicken wire around the bottom 24". I have run several webs of fishing line but they carefully climb through it.

Debating trying an electric fence. Any thoughts or ideas on deterrents or repellants?

They eat next door. You know the old saying, you don't poop where you eat? Apparently that's what my yard is for.

I would start with talking to the people next door that feed them.
If they wont listen to you then call animal control and file a complaint for nuisance animals.
If they feed them, you can prove they are pets, and if they are pets they need to be controlled and not allowed to disrupt the lives of others.
Might not make you and the neighbors the best of friends, but if you think about it, how much can they think of you to allow this to continue.
Take them to court and have them fined.
Animal control will trap and remove the cats.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I do the same as far as teaching people how to manage colonies of feral cats. Unfortunately some people just feed them. and the number of cats continues to grow, like the barn I worked on earlier this year. The feeders KNEW about TNR, had the money to do it, but were not practicing it, which is sad. Would have been better for them to STOP feeding than to feed and not do TNR.

One feeder left the area, and the remaining feeder STILL has not caught the remaining intact female and 2 males. I stopped when the funds (donations and my money) I had available to use ran out (I had 21 cats fixed), and the feeder promised to finish the job (only 3 left). In a few months a year will have passed and those cats are still intact grrrrr.

The feeder actually said that she had not seen any more kittens, so maybe that remaining female can't have any more? Is she for real? I guess she wants to wait and SEE if another litter of kittens shows up to be SURE she's still breeding? That's insane.

I'd be interested in learning what Friends of Felines is all about, so I'll check out the website.

I Volunteer for Friends of Felines and i know we do this- *employing methods of trap, neuter, return and maintain (TNRM) we provide citizens with the tools and the training to care for cats on their own property after they have been fully vetted.* (copy pasted from our site)
Carol would be the one to talk to about tnrm
PM'd you her contact info

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've seen some of the FOF folks going in/out of CCHS a few times and you all had some really cute cats. Some were feral and some not. I think my heart lies with the ferals when you come right down to it. I seem to have a knack for gaining their trust thankfully.

Welcome to Friends of Felines!
tis a link to how the rescue was formed, talks about our feral cat sanctuary, the trap spay release program etc :huggy:

FoFVolunteer

I've seen some of the FOF folks going in/out of CCHS a few times and you all had some really cute cats. Some were feral and some not. I think my heart lies with the ferals when you come right down to it. I seem to have a knack for gaining their trust thankfully.

Indeed you likely have, we do vettings with the pet taxi every wednesday to get our cats altered, microchipped, shots and tested. Some of hte kitties arent ours, we taxi others pets(dogs included lol) at reduced costs thanks to the Pet Coalition and in partnership with the Patuxent Animal Welfare Society (PAWS).