Fifty Shades of Grey

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
This kind of thing pisses me off. A book full of poorly written, less than sensational, slightly kinky sex and women go all ape like its a terrific piece of literature. For heaven's sake go look up free vids on the internet if you're that starved :lmao: and then you can actually go find a real book to read with a little substance to it. And it's all over the news and internet and makes women look like a bunch of empty-headed idiots.
Someone needs to have her pipes cleaned out... :whistle:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
It's still a good read, well I think so anyways.

Me thinks so, too! I'm only about 6/7 chapters in and the book has kept my interest, which speaks a lot. There are very few books that I've actually taken a liking too. It has been hard to set the book down the last two nights. :lol:

Terrid76

After great thought and discussions with several reading groups I belong to, I think I'll take a pass on this book. The biggest compaint I have heard is it is poorly written, badly edited fan fic and there are lots of better books out there. The biggest hope from most readers of erotic romance authors is that after reading this bad imatation readers will look for better authors. This book offers nothing new to the genre so when you're ready for recommendations, let me know. I'd be happy to share some of the great authors I read, including several NY Best Sellers.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just this morning, I had two people HIGHLY recommend all three books to me. I had never heard of it before. I think I may give them a try.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
After great thought and discussions with several reading groups I belong to, I think I'll take a pass on this book. The biggest compaint I have heard is it is poorly written, badly edited fan fic and there are lots of better books out there. The biggest hope from most readers of erotic romance authors is that after reading this bad imatation readers will look for better authors. This book offers nothing new to the genre so when you're ready for recommendations, let me know. I'd be happy to share some of the great authors I read, including several NY Best Sellers.

Terrid,

I mean no disrespect here but there are several typos in your posting complaining about another author's work being poorly written and badly edited. Had I had hang ups on other authors spelling and writing, I may have missed out on many opportunities to read and understand the thoughts of others that have meant a great deal to me. Example, the novel 'Push.' If you've read that, you would understand what I mean. That same author, Sapphire, has written other novels that have not been highly publicized; in fact, you won't find them on Amazon if you search. They are just as poorly written but the thoughts expressed clearly hold your interest. Now perhaps, I’m more forgiving of others writing errors because I know I make plenty of my own and am a lousy speller but I just don’t get how others can snub their noses at another author’s work for what I consider something so slight and part of the artistry of the individual that I can overlook it if the story is interesting.

IMO, the book is a great, quick read with a story that is interesting. Is it worth the hype? Well, not really but I guarantee there are men that are happier because their woman is reading it.

Radiant1

Soul Probe

I've read some poorly written books, and this one isn't that bad. It's written better than typical dimestore romance novels. :shrug:

By all means, recommend to us something new to the genre.

Terrid76

Examples:

Lorelei James: contemporary western
Maya Banks: contemporary
Cherise Sinclair: BDSM
Dee Michaels: historical, BDSM elements
Joey W. Hill: BDSM
Mari Carr: contemporary
Cat Johnson: contempoary western
Tain Lain: m/m
Sinra van Yssel: BDSM
Vivian Arend: contemporary and shift changers
Leah Braemel: contemporary
Leah Brooke: contemporary BDSM/menage
Jayne Rylon: contemporary.....menage in some of them
Lexxie Couper: contemporary

Just a few to get you started looking. There are lots more that I enjoy but this is just off the top of my head. Have fun.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Examples:

Just a few to get you started looking. There are lots more that I enjoy but this is just off the top of my head. Have fun.

Are these similar (or same genre) as Fifty Shades...?

Terrid76

Fifty Shades is markets as an erotic romance as are all of these authors, several who have been on the NY best sellers list several times.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Examples:

I may have read a book or two from a couple of those authors (Sinclair and Hill), but will check them all out nontheless. Thanks!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I'm on chapter 10/11 and they just started having "relations" with each other. So far it's nothing kinky... yet. I can't wait until they reach "the room." :evil:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Terrid,

I mean no disrespect here but there are several typos in your posting complaining about another author's work being poorly written and badly edited. Had I had hang ups on other authors spelling and writing, I may have missed out on many opportunities to read and understand the thoughts of others that have meant a great deal to me. Example, the novel 'Push.' If you've read that, you would understand what I mean. That same author, Sapphire, has written other novels that have not been highly publicized; in fact, you won't find them on Amazon if you search. They are just as poorly written but the thoughts expressed clearly hold your interest. Now perhaps, I’m more forgiving of others writing errors because I know I make plenty of my own and am a lousy speller but I just don’t get how others can snub their noses at another author’s work for what I consider something so slight and part of the artistry of the individual that I can overlook it if the story is interesting.

IMO, the book is a great, quick read with a story that is interesting. Is it worth the hype? Well, not really but I guarantee there are men that are happier because their woman is reading it.
I agree with this, for the most part. You don't hear people making fun of others for liking Transformers vs Citizen Kane so I'm not quite sure where the inclination to bust on others for their reading (or music) choices comes from. It doesn't make them look smarter or cooler, it just makes them look cranky. :lol: I do find it distracting when a book contains misspelled words or continuity errors throughout a series and you kinda have to wonder what their editor was actually doing, but people are human.

I've been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. My best friend and I probably read every Fear Street book in existence in 5th and 6th grade. :lol: Even now I'm always reading at least one book - sometimes a classic, sometimes lighter fiction, sometimes non-fiction about sad things like factory farming. :lol: I'm not one to knock the reading choices of others because I just love to see people reading, and I've been known to read the occasional YA book myself because they're quick and entertaining. Some authors are great storytellers but poor writers and that's fine. Nobody is saying this women is the second coming of Jane Austen, they just think the story is engaging. That being said, I don't think I'll read Fifty Shades of Grey because it doesn't sound interesting to me.

Terrid76

I have no problems with people letting me know when I have typos and spelling errors. In fact, I appreciate it as it reminds me to double and triple check what I am writing when I don't have spell check. I have a slight disability that causes me to see letters in the wrong place or see the wrong letter. That is not an excuse, just a fact and so I try extra hard to make things some what intelligent.

I am also not an author. I do not have the skill set to be one. I am an avid reader though reading approximately a book a day. I'd read more but I do have to work! I do attend an occasional convention for romance authors and readers which I thoroughly enjoy and I usually find an author or two that I add to my very long reading list. I do read most genres of romance along with sci fi, fantasy and mysteries. Unless it's a topic that really interests me, I stay away from non-fiction. I read too many text books while in college and refuse to bore myself.

kk2187

I'm on the second book after starting the series on Friday. The story definitely has my interest but there are a couple things that bother me about the author.

I don't like that she keeps pulling me out of the story when she uses British terminologies. The story is set is America. The characters are born and raised in America. So why are they saying British things? Also, it seems like she discovers a new SAT word every few pages and then you see that word repeated in every other paragraph on that page, and then it's gone.

Other than that, I enjoyed seeing if Ana could break him down in the first book. And now I'm anxious to see if he'll finally reveal more of his past to her in this second book. I have to slow down this week and leave the final book for the beach this weekend.