Fifty Shades of Grey

BabyGurl1978

Gone Crazy
I am on the second book of this series and half way through it - definitely keeping my interest. I will be looking forward to reading the next book for sure! I am so curious if they will get married and have kids.

I am so curious if they will get married and have kids.
You must be one of the women Dr. Drew is concerned about...:lol:

The story involves a recent female college graduate who signs a contract allowing a male billionaire complete control over her life. Over the course of the novel, she becomes versed in his tastes for sadomasochistic sex.

The lead male character is an abuse victim and a sex addict who Pinsky says systematically abuses the lead female character throughout the novel.

"I can't emphasize enough the disturbing quality of this," Pinsky says. "This is a woman who is naïve to these issues, and then is manipulated and exploited by a man who has a severe personality disorder and a sex addiction who is violent with her, it is just too much to be understood."

"I worry about the 15-year-olds and 19-year-olds reading this and formulating a notion that this is anything close to a reasonable relationship," he says. "I worry that this is going to be a model for something pathological."

Dr. Drew: '50 Shades of Grey' pathological, poorly written - WTOP.com

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

Attachments

• shades of grey.jpg
    shades of grey.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 149

Radiant1

Soul Probe
"I worry about the 15-year-olds and 19-year-olds reading this and formulating a notion that this is anything close to a reasonable relationship," he says. "I worry that this is going to be a model for something pathological."

A silly overreaction, because Lord knows the other novels those teenage girls read depict normal and reasonable relationships; pirate kidnappings, sparkling vampires and what not. :lol:

I'm way beyond that page. Still haven't gotten to anything "good." Well, in my terms at least. :lol:

You may not find anything you deem good. I'm half way through book three and I'm finding myself bored. If it weren't for my pet peeve of not finishing a book, I'd probably set it down. It may have helped if I didn't read them back to back, I don't know. :shrug:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Totally disliked the last book :ohwell:
I'm still liking the first, but it is very much the same song over and over. I've got about 1/4 inch left to read and I still haven't read anything "freaky." I was really hoping for some off the wall stuff but this is pretty basic.

No biggie -- I'll probably pick up one of the others to see how it compares, or I might go with something else. My uncle suggested "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick. Anyone read it?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
My sister told me I have to read these books, they are so good. I went to Amazon, about to download it to my kindle, but I always read the reviews first, not one good one. After reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't bother. It's a shame I'm looking for a good book until Clive Cussler's new one comes out on the 29th.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
My sister told me I have to read these books, they are so good. I went to Amazon, about to download it to my kindle, but I always read the reviews first, not one good one. After reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't bother. It's a shame I'm looking for a good book until Clive Cussler's new one comes out on the 29th.
Clive has been pissing me off ever since he began writing himself into every Dirk Pitt book

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Clive has been pissing me off ever since he began writing himself into every Dirk Pitt book

I think he's always done that, I always thought it was kind of cute. He's got to be close to 90 if not over, his son is now writing, so I imagine he'll take over, still good books not matter what.

belvak

Happy Camper
You must be one of the women Dr. Drew is concerned about...:lol:

The story involves a recent female college graduate who signs a contract allowing a male billionaire complete control over her life. Over the course of the novel, she becomes versed in his tastes for sadomasochistic sex.

The lead male character is an abuse victim and a sex addict who Pinsky says systematically abuses the lead female character throughout the novel.

"I can't emphasize enough the disturbing quality of this," Pinsky says. "This is a woman who is naïve to these issues, and then is manipulated and exploited by a man who has a severe personality disorder and a sex addiction who is violent with her, it is just too much to be understood."

Dr. Drew: '50 Shades of Grey' pathological, poorly written - WTOP.com

Okay, I have a hard time wondering why in the world would anyone want to read this. I've read my share of romance novels, and thrillers, but I tend to skim over the "sex" scenes. Don't need them. :bigwhoop:

ReadingTheNews

I don't think Dr. Drew read the books; Ana never signed the contract, and most of the S & M stuff depicted was uber-mild. (I won't go into too much detail so as not to spoil it for others.)
There were some parts of each of the books that made me think, 'whaaat?', but overall they were mindlessly entertaining.

FWIW, I'll give them altogether a B+.

:banana:

kk2187

I didn't go back to see if it was mentioned before, but has anyone read Bared to You by Sylvia Day? It's pretty similar to 50 but the writing is better and Eva is more likable than Ana, I think.

drivingdaisy

Okay, I have a hard time wondering why in the world would anyone want to read this. I've read my share of romance novels, and thrillers, but I tend to skim over the "sex" scenes. Don't need them. :bigwhoop:

Haha me too. I'm always just rushing through to figure out the damn mystery darnit. Besides my imagination is better than most books.

I started Fifty Shades of Grey last Sunday and finished on Friday, started Fifty Shades of Darker this morning and I'm on chapter 5......hehe, I had 40 minutes to wait for a customer. Maybe it's not 'well written' and sure, the :rawr: parts are long and drawn out, but...well, I'm hooked! :biggrin:

nomoney

alright, read all three books. Eh.

Jameo is right; it got old quick. Over and over and over. And some of the things were so repetitive. ... GD, I was getting sick of her inner goddess by the end of book one but that little b!tch never just sits down and shuts up. And who the hell calls her vajayjay - "my sex".
The very hot billionaire wants to spank you, you let him spank you. elfin whiney ass beyotch.