First date conversations

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
My friend is getting ready to go on her first date in 20 years. She had a pretty messy divorce, etc. so it's taken her awhile to get back in the swing.
She asked "What do I talk about?"
I said, "Anything but the divorce or your ex."
Was this the right advice?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Ponytail said:
What does your friend do for a living?
She's in law enforcement. So is her date to be. I'd think that would give them enough to talk about. She's just nervous.

Ponytail

bresamil said:
She's in law enforcement. So is her date to be. I'd think that would give them enough to talk about. She's just nervous.

Tell her NOT to talk. Make sure she asks questions, and it would be wise to keep her answers to a minumum. Nerves have a way of making people feel like they NEED to talk alot, and that's where ya get into trouble. If the conversation goes silent, ask questions, don't tell stories.

PT

Ponytail

Pete said:
Guys...Guys.......QUIET! The Maestro speaks! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:taking notes:

:lol: Ya, like I'm the master. Just cuz I'm apparently a bachelor for life... :rolleyes: Though, I've only twice ever gone on a first date, and not gotten a second date. One of those was my choice. The other was hers. It helps to be picky. :cool:

Getting the first date is what still gives me problems.

:lol:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Ponytail said:
Tell her NOT to talk. Make sure she asks questions, and it would be wise to keep her answers to a minumum. Nerves have a way of making people feel like they NEED to talk alot, and that's where ya get into trouble. If the conversation goes silent, ask questions, don't tell stories.

PT
:roflmao: Exactly, tell her not to talk and maybe while she's at it she can balance something on her head.

I say, let her be herself. This is a date, not a lifelong committement. A date doesn't have to be perfect, and if it's her first date in such a long time, she needs to date a lot of different folks to see who and what's out there and not kick herself in the arse over what she should have, could have and would have done. Being herself and being true to her nature and having fun dating is all that counts.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Ponytail said:

PT
Good. I went that way too. "Ask about him - likes, dislikes, where he grew up, how he ended up in this profession, yada yada." Plus, she'll decide from his answers if she wants date 2. Also he has no kids so I advised she keep conversation about her own to a minimum.

Ponytail

bresamil said:
Good. I went that way too. "Ask about him - likes, dislikes, where he grew up, how he ended up in this profession, yada yada." Plus, she'll decide from his answers if she wants date 2. Also he has no kids so I advised she keep conversation about her own to a minimum.
Her kids are a big part of her life though. If he can't understand or handle that, better to find that out up front. :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Ponytail said:
Her kids are a big part of her life though. If he can't understand or handle that, better to find that out up front. :yay:
Yeah but I want her to see it as just a date - not sizing him up for a life partner - too soon for that. Definitely be honest as to number and age, but don't complain about them or tell too many cutesy kid stories because he probably can't relate.

Ponytail

migtig said:
:roflmao: Exactly, tell her not to talk and maybe while she's at it she can balance something on her head.

I did that once. :lmao: It was either that, or start ripping out my fingernails one by one. I don't think she would have noticed. :blahblah: :lol:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:

PT
:archived::notworthy:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Tell her to sign up for somd as Premo and look at the instructional video about dating starring Annie and Oscar.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Tell her to turn her chirp phone off so the kids won't be calling her on the date asking "Mama, when you coming home, are you still out with that man?" or "Mama, daddy came by and he don't like that you left us here alone to go out with that man". or "Mama, Ms. Jankins wanted to know if you had anymore corn remover left she said hers was getting almost as bad as yours".

Toxick

Splat
bresamil said:
She's in law enforcement.

Four words:
Short Skirt Cop Uniform.

She can't miss with that going on, I'll personally guarantee it. Specially if she wears some thigh-high stockings with the skirt, and high-heel shoes.