First gun

kcmjweeks

As a petite female myself, I shoot a S&W 357 which also shoots 38's, a Glock 22, and a Glock 19.

It all depends on what feels comfortable in your hand.

fisherpw

Depends

Your question is interesting, but totally depends on what kind of shooting you're looking to do; rifle, pistol, shotgun?:dye:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
As a petite female myself, I shoot a S&W 357 which also shoots 38's, a Glock 22, and a Glock 19.

It all depends on what feels comfortable in your hand.

That's true. I'm a short female too and I find the Glock 22 too heavy and too large for my hand for regular shooting.

But it seems a lot of us like our Glocks. :smile: I suggest the OP go to the gun store and hold some Glocks to decide what feels good in her hand. Also be sure to look at how it slides in case it is too small for your hand or even too large.

Candyheiress

That's true. I'm a short female too and I find the Glock 22 too heavy and too large for my hand for regular shooting.

But it seems a lot of us like our Glocks. :smile: I suggest the OP go to the gun store and hold some Glocks to decide what feels good in her hand. Also be sure to look at how it slides in case it is too small for your hand or even too large.

Thanks. I will do that.

Vince

Go to a gun show. You'll be able to try a whole bunch of guns to see how they fit your hand. There's one up in Frederick Md this Friday and Saturday.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Here's a very good link about fitting your gun..
Cornered Cat - Trying on a Gun

IMO, don't buy from a gun show, don't volunteer that you are a first time buyer - just say that you are looking. If you aren't really comfortable with your knowledge, they will try to scam you, push you into buying something that's all wrong. A gun store, though it may not be where you make your final purchase, is looking to have you as a repeat buyer, so they aren't going to steer you in the wrong direction.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Any suggestions for a first time gun for a petite female who would like to start shooting?

I recommend a 38 revolver.

Lots of women have a hard time operating the slide on semi auto's. Getting a revolver will solve the problem of operating a slide that is hard to pull back.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?

Gotta love a woman that is skilled in handling a Glock. :whistle:
:lol:

There beachcat, no one had said anything yet so I had to.
Are you satisfied? :lmao:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Like the ruger 10/22? Ruger just released a 10/22 take-down. I have been thinking about getting one to pink around with.

More like a single shot bolt.

The point is to learn handling, safety and marksmanship

then get something that sprays bullets

dustin

UAIOE
Go to a gun show. You'll be able to try a whole bunch of guns to see how they fit your hand. There's one up in Frederick Md this Friday and Saturday.
:yeahthat:

A .22 handgun (revolver or semi auto) a relatively inexpensive to purchase and ammunition is super cheap (comparatively).

I also recommend a training course or someone to go with you to your shooting location/range who is experienced with safe firearm handling.

Whatever you end up with, I recommend getting some snap caps (they look like real ammunition but are plastic or metal). Really good to practice trigger control and sight alignment without actually shooting live ammunition (should still practice with live ammunition occasionally).

Just be sure to be safe and ALWAYS keep live ammunition separate from snap caps when you are handling your firearm.

Bigpops92

Any suggestions for a first time gun for a petite female who would like to start shooting?

Is this for plinking? Home protection? Do you have experience with guns? Are you looking at a rifle or handgun?

There are a bunch to choose from. As others have mentioned select what feels good for you. What may work for me might be terrible for you. A little research goes a long way in regards to quality.

If you choose the gun store route I would caution you. Some stores have a habit of pushing what doesn't sell well, especially with a new shooter. You may also find the dreaded salesman that knows everything about every gun out there....and he will surely let you know it.

If you are interested in trying a few models before you buy them PM me. My wife and I have helped a few other people over the past few months.