First Gun

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
He's 65ish pounds right now and 49" tall.

Dang Socki. Okay, my two cents which is absolutely worthless. Don't buy him a shotgun yet. If you or your BF can take him plinking and shooting in the quarry or a private range, get him the 22 rifle. Which is fun and cool and "manly". If he's still set on hunting, ask your BF to hook him up with somebody's lightweight shotgun at the range and make sure somebody is standing behind him and bracing him when he fires. Be prepared for the huge bruise he's going to get. Maybe he'll change his mind on his own or be more interested in bow hunting. Again, my two cents.

Do you think that has too much kick to it?

To start with yes.

Dang Socki. Okay, my two cents which is absolutely worthless. Don't buy him a shotgun yet. If you or your BF can take him plinking and shooting in the quarry or a private range, get him the 22 rifle. Which is fun and cool and "manly". If he's still set on hunting, ask your BF to hook him up with somebody's lightweight shotgun at the range and make sure somebody is standing behind him and bracing him when he fires. Be prepared for the huge bruise he's going to get. Maybe he'll change his mind on his own or be more interested in bow hunting. Again, my two cents.

Exactly. Just don't brace him. Let the recoil throw the shoulder back. Just stand by to catch the gun if he drops it.

sockgirl77

I DEFINITELY don't want to get him something that will knock him on his butt and don't want him getting hurt. I'm not set on getting him any gun. Like I said, I don't know a damn thing about guns. I just know that he wants one and a bunch of my friends' sons are hunting with guns. They all started about 8. I'd be SOOOO happy to just buy him a bow and I may just very well do that. A BB gun sounds like a fine Xmas present. :smile:

I'm afraid of it throwing him back, not just his shoulder.

If he is standing correctly that won't happen. Have someone stand behind him if concerned.

Against my better judgement I let my 13 yo shoot my 12g. He had been shooting a 20g. He was fairly tall with not much meat on the shoulders. He shot it. Didn't drop it or anything, handed it to me and walked away rubbing his shoulder. Didn't ask again for a couple years.

NextJen

Raisin cane
My friend bought me a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas a couple years back.

My 2 cents....at that age, maybe start off with a .22 rifle for plinking and gaining experience before actually moving on to a shotgun and hunting. The 10/22 is nice and many parts are available to add to it or change it later if one so desires. It has basically no kick, and with a scope set correctly, it is extremely accurate. I love taking it out and tearing up some targets just for fun.

Plus, .22 ammo is reasonably cheap.

Good luck in your decision!

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'm surprised we haven't had anyone calling Socki a bad mom for even thinking about letting a kid have a big scary gun. I'm sure some idiot will be along soon to do it.

Hank

my war
So I now know what the boy is getting for Xmas. Guess I'll start shopping now. I miss my baby boy. :ohwell:

A Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time... Careful though, he will probably shoot his eye out!!!

bohman

I'm surprised we haven't had anyone calling Socki a bad mom for even thinking about letting a kid have a big scary gun. I'm sure some idiot will be along soon to do it.

I read this whole thread expecting exactly that. :lmao:

Socki I'd love to give you advice but I'm currently shopping for my own first gun at the age of 33, so I don't have much for you. As far as the kick from various guns, you know your son best and whether he'll tough it out or be turned off by the experience. (Is he big or small for his age?) But I agree with those that have said let him plink with a .22 or something similar first, so that he can develop good habits before attempting something that he might flinch with.

bulldog

Lots of good advice here, but I'm surprised to hear, if the BF is a coon hunter, that he's not more involved with this issue for you and your son. Seems he would certainly be closer to the situation than SOMDers...no matter how well you know them.

At any rate, starting slow / small and moving up is a great plan. I would add to the list of already good segestions that you may want to try him with a .410 shotgun. MUCH smaller than a 12 and much smaller than a 20 and unless he's a feather, he'd be able to handle it just fine, but it would be enough to give an indication as to his tolerance for the kick without putting him on his butt. A .22 is perfect for leanring safety rules and doing a lot of inexpensive target plinking in order to enforce what he's learned. After the .22 comes the .410 and then move up from there.

.410 can be hard to come by, but very nice little learning guns IMO.