First Gun

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Looks like everyone is really giving you some good info...Remember in the fall around here, a lot of places have turkey shoots...There is usually a youth shoot or they can shoot with the big boys...They are a lot of fun...Can get $$$$$ if you are not careful though...Also I know the Optimist Club over here used to have a gun safety course...Not sure if they still have it or not..In the meantime, get him to watch this video and it will give him some idea about how a shotgun kicks...
World's largest shotgun - YouTube

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Any recommendations for a first gun for an 8 year old boy? The boy wants to hunt. I'm not ready for it, but he is. :ohwell:

Honestly, I think 8 years old may be a bit young for his first firearm, but that is just my opinion.

I had a lot of fun growing up knocking cans off fence posts with a bb gun.

I was early teen when I shot my first firearm (12 gauge).

As long as you're sure that your son has a firm grasp of firearm safety, I say go for it. Some kids mature more quickly than others...

bulldog

Honestly, I think 8 years old may be a bit young for his first firearm, but that is just my opinion.

I had a lot of fun growing up knocking cans off fence posts with a bb gun.

I was early teen when I shot my first firearm (12 gauge).

As long as you're sure that your son has a firm grasp of firearm safety, I say go for it. Some kids mature more quickly than others...

Really all depends on your upbringing and your exposure to such things IMO. I was using a Savage model 24 which is a single shot .22 / .410 over/under to hunt rabbits by the time I was 8. This was on my grandparents farm and I went alone, but I had already been shooting for several years.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Socki, I was just at Dick's getting camping stuff and walked back to the guns. They have a kids Rossi combo with interchangeable barrels to fire .22LR and either .410 or 20 gauge. It's only $159. .22 is cheap ammo, so he could spend some time working on marksmanship without making you broke. Take a look when you get a chance.

sockgirl77

Socki, I was just at Dick's getting camping stuff and walked back to the guns. They have a kids Rossi combo with interchangeable barrels to fire .22LR and either .410 or 20 gauge. It's only $159. .22 is cheap ammo, so he could spend some time working on marksmanship without making you broke. Take a look when you get a chance.

Thanks!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Started my youngest son off at age 8 with a .410 and a Remington .22 (both used). Then a couple years later..added an 870 pump 20-ga, combo, youth model, brand new.

He got his first duck with the 20 and his first deer with that same gun...he was 10.

ylexot

Super Genius

I saw that they have this on sale for $130 this week...

DEEKAYPEE8569

One of the primary issues has always been a respect for any firearm; not a fear of them.
We always had rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers in the house when I was growing up. We were told not to touch them; and we didn't; unless we were supervised.
We were taught how to handle and operate every firearm in the house.
Now, as an adult, I do not fear firearms, but I DO respect them; and I also know what to; and what NOT to do with them. So, I feel comfortable handling them.

bulldog

This is a good deal.

I saw that they have this on sale for $130 this week...

This makes it even better.

warneckutz

:coffee:

Attachments

• Handgun.jpg
    Handgun.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 86
C

czygvtwkr

I was going to suggest a 410 also. You really can't hunt much with a .22 but they are alot of fun and cheap ammo.

Bows are great fun, but 8 is probably too young. You are more likely to hurt yourself or someone else with a bow than you are a gun in my opinion.

dhudge

Sorry if this is duplicated, but I thought I'd share an opinion, but don't have time to read all replies.

Definitely a .22 is what your 8 yr old (if you choose to allow) boy should have.
It provides hours of fun at minimal (ammo) cost...approximately $.05 per round.
It sounds like you're apprehensive about the whole gun thing for an 8yr old, so I have to ask if he's been introduced to a typical BB or pellet gun?
Assuming he has, I would recommend a lever action .22 youth rifle...you probably won't find a better value than the Henry Youth model:
http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-youth.cfm

I recommend the lever action because of its built in safety design. Unlike other rifles it has no "safety" mechanism, which I constantly forget about, it's design is inherently designed in....quite simply, if the loading mechanism (lever) isn't "cocked", it can't fire. If it is cocked, it's live. I was always taught to never #### it until ready to fire, which is a lot easier for a young one to remember than the "safety" switch on a typical rifle.

Aside from all that...lev action rifles IMO are the coolest looking/acting rifles out there, but I'm prejudiced having Roy Rogers andbthe Lone Ranger as my hero's during my youth.