FIU ped bridge collapse. Your thoughts.

Starman

yeah ok .... :shrug:

so what, I've dodged traffic on DC City Streets ...
my observation still stands ...
I said nothing about traffic flow or interruption ....

a simple observation, are people to clueless to cross the road anymore

Their faces are normally buried in their smartphone's screen. Can't be bothered to even look up.

Hijinx

my observation still stands ...
I said nothing about traffic flow or interruption ....

a simple observation, are people to clueless to cross the road anymore

Dumb argument. The need for the bridge is irrelevant to it's collapse.
It will be studied and the cause will eventually come out.

Hannibal

Heard this morning that "engineers" were on site following complaints of slacked cables and were in the process of ratcheting them down when they snapped. Seems like a bad time to conduct a quasi-load/failure test to me .........

But in all seriousness, if they were in fact tightening up the cabling, why wouldn't you stop traffic for a few minutes just to be safe? Do it overnight or something. Something's obviously up if the brand new cabling is showing slack and wasn't designed that way. It could be from multiple issues.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Good grief. Constant foot traffic having to cross 8 lanes of a busy divided highway is not "DC street". Pedestrian bridges are built all over the country to resolve situations exactly like the one that exists at FIU. Thousands of them.

Most don't collapse though..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Good grief. Constant foot traffic having to cross 8 lanes of a busy divided highway is not "DC street". Pedestrian bridges are built all over the country to resolve situations exactly like the one that exists at FIU. Thousands of them.

Thank you.

stgislander

PREMO Member

The old video game Frogger comes to mind.

black dog

Free America
Heard this morning that "engineers" were on site following complaints of slacked cables and were in the process of ratcheting them down when they snapped. Seems like a bad time to conduct a quasi-load/failure test to me .........

But in all seriousness, if they were in fact tightening up the cabling, why wouldn't you stop traffic for a few minutes just to be safe? Do it overnight or something. Something's obviously up if the brand new cabling is showing slack and wasn't designed that way. It could be from multiple issues.

I certainly not any kind of engineer but as a 20+ year Elevator Mechanic that has cabled, recabled, shortened and adjusted cables in lots of different kinds of equipment. I would say slack cables that are designed to support, I believe would add more to the load than support it. I'll have to look at the pictures.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

I saw a quick blurb on the news the bridge was built in response to a student crossing the road on foot being struck and dying at that intersection last year.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I took a few classes at FIU in the early 1980s. The Sweetwater campus was on the edge of Miami and had a total of 4 buildings on the entire 'campus'. Judging from the accident photos, that area sure has gone through some development.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I took a few classes at FIU in the early 1980s. The Sweetwater campus was on the edge of Miami and had a total of 4 buildings on the entire 'campus'. Judging from the accident photos, that area sure has gone through some development.

I read that there are approximately 50,000 students. :faint:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That's my take. As an engineer,,,

What I notice is that the entire span is flat. Which means that it was not pre-stressed during the construction phase as bridges with spans between 25m and 450m commonly are. This span appearing to be at least 250 feet, or about 83 meters, should have been. Had it, it might have held until the cable supports was put in place. Also, those vertical and diagonal trusses appear to have been decorative, rather than supportive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

From what I've learned about FIU since my daughter started attending there about four years ago, the university has grown and expanded in rather dramatic fashion. Lots of curriculae being added all the time; her own PhD program was brand new when she started on it, in fact. Fancy new buildings and other facilities always being built.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

It does not sound unusual either. Large companies like that, with so many projects underway at any one time, inevitably collect OSHA or other workplace safety violations and inevitably have accidents occur on occasion. From what I've been able to dig up, the firms involved are pretty reputable.

The one thing that keeps jumping out in this are repeated references to "stress testing" that was being conducted at the time of the collapse. Be interesting to see if this failure was caused by procedural error, material failure, design error, or some combination of the three.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It does not sound unusual either. Large companies like that, with so many projects underway at any one time, inevitably collect OSHA or other workplace safety violations and inevitably have accidents occur on occasion. From what I've been able to dig up, the firms involved are pretty reputable.

The one thing that keeps jumping out in this are repeated references to "stress testing" that was being conducted at the time of the collapse. Be interesting to see if this failure was caused by procedural error, material failure, design error, or some combination of the three.

I would think that if they were conducting a stress test, shouldn't traffic have been halted?