FIU ped bridge collapse. Your thoughts.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
There are companies who will deliver and assemble a complete steel bridge on site. It won't save the polar bears or clean the polluted Miami air, but it'll carry pedestrians and bicycles across the highway.

What an embarrassment for that Department in the Engineering school that helped design and build the concrete widowmaker. i doubt they will do a steel bridge since there is a major financial set-aside to make the concrete bridge work

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There are companies who will deliver and assemble a complete steel bridge on site. It won't save the polar bears or clean the polluted Miami air, but it'll carry pedestrians and bicycles across the highway.

I don't think I'd be sticking my neck out to far in guessing that they'll approach the construction of the next one differently. ;-p

My daughter is back to school there now..she'll keep any eye on it for us.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
That road the collapsed bridge spanned is a major thoroughfare. More crosswalks just ain't gonna cut it. BTW, this incident has completely disappeared from the news here in Fl. Been about 5 weeks since anything on it. I guess the number of innocent people killed is not quite enough to keep it going.

black dog

Free America
I don't think I'd be sticking my neck out to far in guessing that they'll approach the construction of the next one differently. ;-p

My daughter is back to school there now..she'll keep any eye on it for us.

I'm betting the support between the highways gets set before the walkway this time.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That road the collapsed bridge spanned is a major thoroughfare. More crosswalks just ain't gonna cut it. .

Hence why they need the pedestrian bridge so badly. Roughly 4500 students live "across" the Trail from the university.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What an embarrassment for that Department in the Engineering school that helped design and build the concrete widowmaker. i doubt they will do a steel bridge since there is a major financial set-aside to make the concrete bridge work

I read that, while the FIU Civil Engineering department is a huge fan and known advocate or proponent of the accelerated construction techniques used, they had little to do "hands on" with the design and nothing to do with the construction of the one that collapsed.

And to be fair...the technique is not "new" nor is it rare...it's more than 20 years old and employed successfully often. Just not - obviously - in this case.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
That road the collapsed bridge spanned is a major thoroughfare. More crosswalks just ain't gonna cut it. BTW, this incident has completely disappeared from the news here in Fl. Been about 5 weeks since anything on it. I guess the number of innocent people killed is not quite enough to keep it going.

My guess is that it just doesn't fit into any of the leftist agendas. If there were a way to blame it on Trump now it would still be having marches, sit ins and calls for heads to roll.

officeguy

Hence why they need the pedestrian bridge so badly. Roughly 4500 students live "across" the Trail from the university.

How many of today's students are going to hoof across that bridge in the 100F 90% humidity of a South Florida day ?

BernieP

Resident PIA
How many of today's students are going to hoof across that bridge in the 100F 90% humidity of a South Florida day ?

probably not as many in the dead of summer as the rest of the year. But as a person who went to an urban university, I'd be taking that bridge.
You don't usually get a choice about walking between classes and when you have a major road to cross, you'll take a tunnel or a bridge every day.
Particularly on days when the weather isn't optimal.

PeoplesElbow

Seriously doubt there is much on campus parking. My college was not an urban college or quite as big but even faculty had a 10 year waiting list for an on campus parking permit.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

All the ones that will attend classes that day. Just like they do now...but crossing at grade. My daughter rides a bike.