FIU ped bridge collapse. Your thoughts.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Shouldn't have stress testing been accomplished prior to being set into place?

The Project Lead.

7wjb1.jpg

Hijinx

Why would you stress test a bridge while traffic runs underneath it, and why adjust cables with traffic running underneath when you already know a bridge has collapsed doping the same thing? I guess we will find out one day.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Why would you stress test a bridge while traffic runs underneath it, and why adjust cables with traffic running underneath when you already know a bridge has collapsed doping the same thing? I guess we will find out one day.

Like I said...

I would think that if they were conducting a stress test, shouldn't traffic have been halted?

PeoplesElbow

yeah ok .... :shrug:

so what, I've dodged traffic on DC City Streets ...
my observation still stands ...
I said nothing about traffic flow or interruption ....

a simple observation, are people to clueless to cross the road anymore

We're not talking the occasional person, we are talking a constant flow, probably 100's or even 1000s an hour. I went to a large college and one thing you did not do was drive though campus if you were in a hurry.

PeoplesElbow

have you never been downtown on K or L or M Streets between 6 - 9 am

Not at those times, but those streets also have half the lanes of this one, so I am guessing half of the throughput.

I also know of places in DC that have heavy foot traffic that is routed under the road in a tunnel probably for the purposes of keeping pedestrians safer and keeping traffic flowing.

What exactly do you have against those concepts?

BOP

Not trying to 2nd guess the mech engineers on this one but…

The final design clearly shows a center pillar and a tower with support cables along the length of the bridge.

https://twitter.com/fiu_cec

But a shot of the bridge shortly after being rotated in place shows no center column or tower with supporting cables.

https://news.fiu.edu/2018/03/commun...ridge-move-across-southwest-8th-street/120395

Surely a hydraulic jack or temporary pillar could have been left at the center point… or the column could have been built before the rotation took place. Even without a pedestrian load, the collapse clearly shows a failure along most of its length indicating to me that the tower and supporting cables were, at a bare minimum, a necessary function of the design.

What do you mech engineers think?

Prayers for the victims of this terrible tragedy.

There needs to be a waiting period for building bridges.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
have you never been downtown on K or L or M Streets between 6 - 9 am

Last I checked..neither were 4 lanes in each direction..with a median. And neither has college students crossing by the thousands as a matter of daily course.

officeguy

There was a time that when you wanted a bridge, you went to Kansas City Bridge Works or American Bridge and ordered a bridge. The builder adapted one of their designs to whatever crossing you needed, built the parts in their factory and send a crew of ironworkers to rivet it together on site. Many of those truss bridges are still around 60 and 80 years later, their replacement usually driven by traffic volumes rather than condition. The public works folks back then didn't try to be 'innovative' or fix climate change with their bridge projects, they just connected point A with point B within the budget given by their employer. Everything I read about this thing in Florida points toward politics getting into the bridge building process and the result is not good.

A local congressman confirms that a stress test was underway at the time of the collapse. "They were trying to see what the bridge would handle, by dropping a load on it," said Congressman Carlos Curbelo (R), confirming on FoxNews that testing was going on at the time of the collapse

Who's bright idea was it to attempt a test like that with traffic under it? And the test did what it was supposed to do, test the limits. Results would have been the same whether the cable snapped early or the test went off as scheduled.

Somebody is in a heap o trouble...

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
A pedestrian bridge under construction collapsed Thursday, just days after crews had dropped an elevated 950-ton span in place on a signature project that was intended to give Florida International University students a safe route across the busy roadway.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...iami-dade/article205316174.html#storylink=cpy

Excuse me ... are college students too stupid to cross the road ?

Apparently it's a very busy 8 lane road. I would say it's probably not a road you want to be walking across if you could avoid it.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Here's a good explanation of what may have happened. Language warning.