Flat Tops Historical Reunion

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My mom and I lived in the Flat Tops from '79 ~ '83. We must have lived in one of the better areas, because we never had any problems. For the $200/month rent, you couldn't beat it especially since she was newly divorced in a low-paying job and I couldn't work due to recovering from a very serious illness. We had good neighbors who looked out for us and the unit we lived in was in pretty good shape.

BuddyLee

Football addict
BadGirl said:
From last week's Enterprise:

200-year-old house in danger of demolition

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

By Jason Babcock

Staff Writer

A more than 200-year-old home could be torn down as a housing development moves forward in Dameron.
The St. Jerome’s Crossroads House is at the intersection of St. Jerome’s Neck Road and Camp Winslow Road on a 190-acre property being developed, called St. Jerome’s Crossroads, section two. The project is bringing in 18 homes.

Full article: http://www.somdnews.com/stories/060607/entetop185642_32083.shtml
I wonder if the owner/county would sell it off to some youngyin' willing to fix it up and appreciate it.:whistle:

BuddyLee

Football addict
If anyone wants to purchase the house and fix it up, they can contact him, Capper said.
Ah ha! Ask and Ye shall receive.

Does anyone know this Daniel Capper guy or know of a way to contact him?

The article is a bit ambiguous about the condition of the house as well. They say it's bad...but how bad?

O

oldnavy

BuddyLee said:

The article is a bit ambiguous about the condition of the house as well. They say it's bad...but how bad?

Guy said it was in "poor" shape in 1968 so you've got nearly 40 years of getting worse to deal with. I think it would be fun, but super expensive. Wonder what his price is and how much land would come with it.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
BuddyLee said:

Have you tried the white pages? www.switchboard.com :rolleyes:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
oldnavy said:
Guy said it was in "poor" shape in 1968 so you've got nearly 40 years of getting worse to deal with. I think it would be fun, but super expensive. Wonder what his price is and how much land would come with it.

Some historical societies will give grants for such things with numerous caveats of course. I'm not sure how the one here works. I doubt they have that kind of cash flow but it's something to consider/investigate.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
BuddyLee said:

He lives right down the road from me. Stop on by and I'll take you down and introduce you to him.

He is also the owner of this awesome property for sale that I mentioned a few months ago in this thread: http://forums.somd.com/showthread.php?t=98223&highlight=property .

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
The Flat Tops have somewhat of a Detroit type history...:coffee:

For a displaced nyer, you seem to believe everything you hear. You should know better. LOL I just love how the newer transplants here judge things they know nothing about.:smack:

E

EmptyTimCup

My Ex SIL lived there in the late 80s .... I remember comming down to visit with my Ex ... just seemed like old ex Navy Housing

S

shagger

Ironic how one of the most derelict places (in the latter years) in the county was always one of the most beautiful in the spring with the cherry blossoms! Shows that looks are deceiving....

craptastic

:nono: Let me just point out that a lot of people who would attend this "reunion" were kids at the time they lived in the FlatTops....kids play, kids make friends, kids make the best of what they have/had, and most importantly they can't choose where they live or how much $ their parents make.

I lived in the FlatTops from '84-'94 (I was between 3-13 years old at the time), when my parents were finally able to purchase their first house. I have some very fond memories there, and I'd like to think I turned out just fine...better then fine actually! I am married with beautiful children, a house, a Bachelors degree, etc.

The FlatTops were no all bad, and for many people it was the only option. I did, however, feel very embarrassed growing up and never wanted to invite friends over or to know where I lived because of the stigma people put on it, which is just cruel for a child to have to go through, IMO.