Flood Tide tomorrow 10/29

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
NOAA is predicting a peak of 5.2' Friday evening. The means upwards of 2 feet over the roadway, in places on St. Georges Island. If it hits that level, its going to flood the ground floor of several of the buildings in our compound. ;-(

If it goes that high, it will set a record for tide level, not including past storm surge events from hurricanes/tropical storms.

Great.:(

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Been watching the reports since yesterday. If you believe the weatherman's hype, we're in for a good blow. To be on the safe side, I'm making sure I've got gas for the gennys.

Good Luck on the Island...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
NOAA is predicting a peak of 5.2' Friday evening. The means upwards of 2 feet over the roadway, in places on St. Georges Island. If it hits that level, its going to flood the ground floor of several of the buildings in our compound. ;-(

If it goes that high, it will set a record for tide level, not including past storm surge events from hurricanes/tropical storms.

No chance of sandbagging them ahead of time?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No chance of sandbagging them ahead of time?
Only one of them...the ground floor of the concrete block apartment building might benefit from sandbagging the entrances.

I'm live tracking the NOAA measurements from the SGI Straits station (data on line) and comparing those with the NOAA water level monitor they installed on my dock some years ago. So far, our observations are tracking a consistent 0.2-0.3' lower than what theirs is reporting. Fingers crossed that holds.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You might know this .... Is this high, flood, tide that is coming going to be higher that what is known as the Mean High Tide Water Mark, or at or below the MHTWM?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

You might know this .... Is this high, flood, tide that is coming going to be higher that what is known as the Mean High Tide Water Mark, or at or below the MHTWM?
Tide height is measured relative to the Mean Lower Low Water datum. Our local MHHW is about 1.5 feet.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Tide height is measured relative to the Mean Lower Low Water datum. Our local MHHW is about 1.5 feet.
I was over at the neighbor's house a little while ago and it was already "high". I tried to explain to her with your earlier numbers, just how high it was going to get. I don't know if she completely understands the magnitude or not. We shall see...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Sicily is also getting pounded by lousy weather. The base there got a year's worth of rain in a 36 hour period. The front is stalled and they expect more rain in the next few days.

Over the past few days, a stationary cyclonic front situated about 150 nm south east of Sicily caused the rain events that we have experienced. In less than 36 hours, we received about 20” of rain. This amount of rain is essentially unprecedented and was NOT forecasted. For context, this is essentially equivalent to an entire year’s worth of rain for the Catania area.
The low pressure system has essentially stayed in the same location for the last several days, but has moved slightly further southeast on the past 12 hours, giving us a break from the rainfall.
Over the next 24-72 hours, the low pressure system is forecast to move to the northwest and will bring additional rainfall for our area. Weather models predict less rain, but our recent experience shows that we could expect 6-12” of additional rain. Due to an already saturated ground, we can expect additional flash floods throughout our area with hazardous road conditions and areas of isolated flooding. The forecast calls for the highest rainfall to occur from tomorrow (28 Oct) from 8PM until noon on Friday (29 Oct).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was over at the neighbor's house a little while ago and it was already "high". I tried to explain to her with your earlier numbers, just how high it was going to get. I don't know if she completely understands the magnitude or not. We shall see...
tomorrow's high tides are looking really ugly, especially tomorrow night. I can't read our tide gauge in the dark but our yard is almost completely under. so that's going to mean about 4'

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Uhhhh. Whoooosh. Right over my head. Relative to what you said, will the tide be higher than the Tidal Datum for the MHW, or the MHHW, or both, on your island?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

tide is currently at about 3.7' which is 2.2' above MHHW
That is extreme. And the tide still has higher to go? I looked a boats docked at the local marina, the water was an inch high on the rim joists of the piers. Looks like boats sitting on land the water is so high. Hope you're on the highest elevation point of your island.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

That is extreme. And the tide still has higher to go? I looked a boats docked at the local marina, the water was an inch high on the rim joists of the piers. Looks like boats sitting on land the water is so high. Hope you're on the highest elevation point of your island.
As I noted earlier..if the water level hits the predicted 5.2 foot mark, three of my building will have flood water over first floor.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Hope you're on the highest elevation point of your island.
Ever been to the Ruddy Duck on St. George's Island? Where the stone sea wall is about 4 feet higher than the road and the wall is the highest point on the island?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Coltons Point Rd is flooded at the usual spot with about 8 inches of water. Down in my front yard the water is almost as high as it was for Ernesto (2006) I wasn't down here for Isabel.