Flu Near You

mAlice

professional daydreamer
https://flunearyou.org/

Anyone got the flu? Had it recently? Got the vaccine?

I'm curious, because I don't get the flu shot, and I rarely get sick. However, what I'm seeing fairly regularly is that people who get the vaccine, are still getting the flu. What's the point?

Moved_south

I'm curious, because I don't get the flu shot, and I rarely get sick. However, what I'm seeing fairly regularly is that people who get the vaccine, are still getting the flu. What's the point?

The flu is rampant this season, and we started seeing it really early as well. I did get the shot and am exposed to sick people. Have not gotten the flu myself, but also have seen confirmed flu cases in those that have had the shot. That being said, there are lots of folks that get a bug that may not be the flu that self diagnose as such. :shrug:

Also seeing confirmed flu cases without fever which is just weird. I think that there are multiple strains running around this year that were not covered by the vaccine.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
The only times I've ever gotten the flu was when I had the flu shots, so I don't get them anymore as a personal choice. I've read that some folks react to the vaccine (which is the virus) and develop minor flu like symptoms. I have a history of developing a full blown flu, pneumonia and other things after getting the shot. So it's not for me.

But for some people it helps them fight the flu when their bodies wouldn't have been able to before by exposing them to a low level and building up a resistance to fight when they come in contact with the most recent strain. This is especially true for the elderly.

CRHS89

My son and I got the vaccine and did get the flu (or what I thought was the flu) but ours was much shorter and MUCH less severe than my husbands bout with it and he did not get the vaccine. So even though we still got it, I am glad we had the vaccine. Mine lasted less than 24 hours. Hubby's lasted 5 days.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No flu shot, and no flu (so far).

In fact, I've never had a flu shot and my bouts with being sick are brief and unremarkable.

sockgirl77

The only times I've ever gotten the flu was when I had the flu shots, so I don't get them anymore as a personal choice. I've read that some folks react to the vaccine (which is the virus) and develop minor flu like symptoms. I have a history of developing a full blown flu, pneumonia and other things after getting the shot. So it's not for me.

But for some people it helps them fight the flu when their bodies wouldn't have been able to before by exposing them to a low level and building up a resistance to fight when they come in contact with the most recent strain. This is especially true for the elderly.

Same here. The only time that our family got the flu shot we all ended up sick for a week, miserably sick.

Katt

I got the flu shot, as I do every year. I have diabetes and flu can be deadly to us pre-existing illnesses ppl. I got sick right after Christmas, and after 4 days was diagnosed with pneumonia. I just finished my antibiotics and still coughing and feeling run down. It was terrible and had me in bed for a week. I didn't get tested for the actual flu virus at the hospital, (not sure why not) but assuming it started out that way. My husband has it now and he didn't get the flu shot. I would have to have an ambulance come get him to have him checked out... he wouldn't go in willingly, type. If you are sick... STAY HOME! This $hit is bad!

From this article:

Flu picks up steam across the U.S. - CNN.com

What many people don't know is that the flu vaccine becomes less effective as you get older or develop other medical problems, Zich said. The flu shot relies on the body's antibodies against the flu, so if the immune system is already compromised, it will not work as well.

No one I know personally has the flu, but the season is far from over.

If you haven't gotten an annual flu vaccine, it's not too late, doctors say. To further protect yourself, try to avoid anyone who is sneezing and coughing, and wash your hands. Also, exercise and eat healthy foods, Zich said.

Most flu patients should not go to an emergency room, Zich said. They will likely be sent home, as there is very little that can be done for them. A fever as high as 103 degrees Fahrenheit is common in the flu.

Patients with normal flu symptoms should get a lot of rest and take painkillers to help with muscle aches, Zich said. "In five to seven days, you're going to be feeling yourself again," he said.

MMM_donuts

My husband and I do not have any children, do not work with the public, nor do we have any reason to suspect any compromized immunity between us therefore we do not get the flu shot.

Medical data does not support the flu shot therefore we have no reason to get one. The only reason we can come up with would be if we were in a situation where our exposure to the flu had the potential to seriously harm another individual and even then we would evaluate the situation to determine whether it would be an appropriate thing for us to do.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I get a flu shot every year and have never got sick from it. I only have the flu one time in all my years of getting the shot. I was always told by my doc the the flu shot helps reduce your chances of getting the flu, it is not a guarantee the you will not get sick.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Healthy people almost never die of the flu. If you have a compromised immune system or are very old, sure - you should probably get a flu shot. But for normal healthy people it doesn't make any sense.

Because I am a nutter type, I have a conspiracy theory going about all these vaccinations and crap. We notice in young children that if you're constantly loading them up on antibiotics, it makes their organic immune system lazy so it cannot fight off bugs on its own. My thought is that flu vaccinations almost certainly work the same way, in it turns your immune system into a welfare recipient that doesn't do its job.

So you won't see me getting a flu shot anytime soon. When you all have to live in a bubble lest you die of a common cold, I'll be taunting you from the outside and waving about my superior immune system. But don't worry - I'll hold off the Chinese and Muslims for as long as I can so they don't come get you.

:yay:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
My friends. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the flu from the flu shot. it is a dead virus incapable of causing illness. The mist is a different story, but still highly unlikely in anyone with a normal, uncompromised immune system.

People who get the shot can still get the flu, but it is generally less severe. Also, the vaccine generally only contains a few of the most popular strains, it does not encompass all strains and thus exposure to a strain that is not in the vaccine can make the person ill. Like most vaccines, it works best when MOST people are vaccinated thus reducing the spread in general.

Also, many, many times people diagnose themselves with the flu when what they have is a bad cold. Diff thing entirely that cannot be helped. Also, I have heard many people say they had the flu, when what they really had was a stomach virus, and not even flu symptoms.

And finally, it takes awhile for the flu shot to kick in and do its protecting. I hear so many people say "oh I got the shot and three days later I got sick!" thats prob because people get the flu shot when flu season has already started and were already exposed, or were exposed shortly after.

Flu shots are especially important for older adults. Several studies have shown that it can reduce the chances of cardiac events by as much as 50%..most likely because the illness can weaken and aggrevate heart conditions, so protection makes this damage less likely.

My husband and I do not have any children, do not work with the public, nor do we have any reason to suspect any compromized immunity between us therefore we do not get the flu shot.

Medical data does not support the flu shot therefore we have no reason to get one. The only reason we can come up with would be if we were in a situation where our exposure to the flu had the potential to seriously harm another individual and even then we would evaluate the situation to determine whether it would be an appropriate thing for us to do.

Totally agree. I've never had a shot either. Last time I had the flu was when I was a teenager, and got it from my dad.

My main reason for not getting one is that the shot can only cover certain known flu, and not all known variants. Every year the flu mutates, and the shot you get is probably not effective against the new strain.

MMM_donuts

Totally agree. I've never had a shot either. Last time I had the flu was when I was a teenager, and got it from my dad.

My main reason for not getting one is that the shot can only cover certain known flu, and not all known variants. Every year the flu mutates, and the shot you get is probably not effective against the new strain.

We used to get the flu shot when we were in the military, of course because we were forced to. I got the flu shot again in 2008 and 2009 when I was caring for my mother who was undergoing cancer treatment. I am making a very slow move into health care where I will again consider getting the flu shot each year.

Or when the efficacy rates improve into the 85-95% rates (indicative of a successful vaccine), I will again reconsider.

I'm not completely opposed to it but I'm not convinced that it is beneficial either.

sockgirl77

Healthy people almost never die of the flu. If you have a compromised immune system or are very old, sure - you should probably get a flu shot. But for normal healthy people it doesn't make any sense.

Because I am a nutter type, I have a conspiracy theory going about all these vaccinations and crap. We notice in young children that if you're constantly loading them up on antibiotics, it makes their organic immune system lazy so it cannot fight off bugs on its own. My thought is that flu vaccinations almost certainly work the same way, in it turns your immune system into a welfare recipient that doesn't do its job.

So you won't see me getting a flu shot anytime soon. When you all have to live in a bubble lest you die of a common cold, I'll be taunting you from the outside and waving about my superior immune system. But don't worry - I'll hold off the Chinese and Muslims for as long as I can so they don't come get you.

:yay:

I am exactly how you are. I hate taking my kids to the doctor. It seems like they have a shot for everything now. My girls are 5 and 6 and only one of them has been on antibiotics and that was after a dog bite. My son stayed loaded up on this until I stopped taking him to Dr. Dhillon. He hasn't been on them in a few years. They get the sniffles and occasionaly a cough, but they're pretty healthy kids. They also take their vitamins and drink plenty of juice and water.

I also hate hand sanitizer freaks. I won't even get into that.

awpitt

Main Streeter

When I was in the Navy, I had to get the flu shot every year. I ended up getting the flu about every other year or every 3rd year (It varied). I got out of the Navy in 1990. I have not gotten a flu shot since getting out of the Navy. Between 1990 and now, I've had the flu once which was in January 1996.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My friends. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the flu from the flu shot. it is a dead virus incapable of causing illness. The mist is a different story, but still highly unlikely in anyone with a normal, uncompromised immune system.

People who get the shot can still get the flu, but it is generally less severe. Also, the vaccine generally only contains a few of the most popular strains, it does not encompass all strains and thus exposure to a strain that is not in the vaccine can make the person ill. Like most vaccines, it works best when MOST people are vaccinated thus reducing the spread in general.

Also, many, many times people diagnose themselves with the flu when what they have is a bad cold. Diff thing entirely that cannot be helped. Also, I have heard many people say they had the flu, when what they really had was a stomach virus, and not even flu symptoms.

And finally, it takes awhile for the flu shot to kick in and do its protecting. I hear so many people say "oh I got the shot and three days later I got sick!" thats prob because people get the flu shot when flu season has already started and were already exposed, or were exposed shortly after.

Flu shots are especially important for older adults. Several studies have shown that it can reduce the chances of cardiac events by as much as 50%..most likely because the illness can weaken and aggrevate heart conditions, so protection makes this damage less likely.

Oh please - you are in on it, Miss Nursey. :razz:

But fine. Whatever. You guys go get your shots; meanwhile my immune system will be doing bench presses and PiYo to get ready for the apocalypse. It'll be me and a few yogurt eating mountain men saving your hide. Bring it, Russkies! :boxing:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Are you in the medical profession?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I also hate hand sanitizer freaks.

Invented by aliens to weaken us so they can take over the Earth. :yay:

Immunizations are like gun banning: it only works if every single person on the planet does it. But you get one rogue and the whole thing is shot (ha) to hell. I'm not talking about diseases that have wiped out millions of people in the Black Death; I'm talking about routine illnesses (like flu) that everyone has had and very few people have died from.

Some kids gets an ear infection: the white blood cells suit up and get ready to go Normandy on some bacterial ass...only to find that the UN peacekeepers are already there. "We have it under control. You can go back home." Then next time the alert goes up, General Leukocyte says, "Meh...the UN will get it. Whose deal?"

You have to keep your Army in tip top shape and well-equipped. Let them do their job. Let them know you need them.