Flu Near You

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have never gotten a flu shot and have never gotten the flu. :knockonwood: My husband gets the flu shot and usually ends up getting a nasty cold each winter. My 11 year old son got a flu shot for the first time this year because his dad took him to the doctor's for the 2nd HPV shot and agreed to the flu shot while there. I would have just said no. My youngest, 8, who was born with a hernia was given a flu shot as a newborn because of the possibility of having a compromised immune system due to the surgery but has never had one since. Both my kids will get minor colds with coughing and runny noses but nothing serious.

sockgirl77

My friends. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the flu from the flu shot.
So, it's just a coincidence that my entire family got sick after we got the shot? How about my coworker after she had hers? She felt 100% fine before she got her shot. The next morning she felt like crap. She missed 4 days of work and spent the following week in the bathroom.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Invented by aliens to weaken us so they can take over the Earth. :yay:

Immunizations are like gun banning: it only works if every single person on the planet does it. But you get one rogue and the whole thing is shot (ha) to hell. I'm not talking about diseases that have wiped out millions of people in the Black Death; I'm talking about routine illnesses (like flu) that everyone has had and very few people have died from.

Some kids gets an ear infection: the white blood cells suit up and get ready to go Normandy on some bacterial ass...only to find that the UN peacekeepers are already there. "We have it under control. You can go back home." Then next time the alert goes up, General Leukocyte says, "Meh...the UN will get it. Whose deal?"

You have to keep your Army in tip top shape and well-equipped. Let them do their job. Let them know you need them.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

*I had to look up wholeheartedly. I didn't know if it was one word, whole-heartedly, or not a word at all.

MMM_donuts

So, it's just a coincidence that my entire family got sick after we got the shot? How about my coworker after she had hers? She felt 100% fine before she got her shot. The next morning she felt like crap. She missed 4 days of work and spent the following week in the bathroom.

The other poster is right at least how it physiologically understood - you cannot get the flu from the injectable flu vaccination.

HOWEVER, it takes roughly two weeks to build up the immunity necessary to fight the flu - IF your body is able to produce the appropriate immunity. AND you may have a reaction to the vaccine that is somewhat flu-like when you recieve it. AND you can still catch any of the other strains of the flu, especially if you go somewhere like a hospital where people that have the flu and are requesting treatment congregate with people that are trying to get a flu shot to avoid getting the flu.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

Exactly. It's a running joke between my boss and I. He tells me when he gets his shot and I have to guess how long before he's out sick.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I wish we could cancel all meetings until flu season is over. Our conference rooms sound like hospital wards. :dead:

You can't get the flu from the flu vaccine itself. However, you can be sensitive or even allergic to other components that make up the flu shot. It used to be manufactured with eggs, so anyone with egg allergies might get ill.

sockgirl77

You can't get the flu from the flu vaccine itself. However, you can be sensitive or even allergic to other components that make up the flu shot. It used to be manufactured with eggs, so anyone with egg allergies might get ill.

None of us have egg allergies.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
None of us have egg allergies.

My theroy is that the vaccination suppresses your natural immunity and makes you more susceptible to buggies. So a flu shot doesn't give you the flu, it just unlocks the door and replaces the National Guard with a mall cop.

sockgirl77

My theroy is that the vaccination suppresses your natural immunity and makes you more susceptible to buggies. So a flu shot doesn't give you the flu, it just unlocks the door and replaces the National Guard with a mall cop.

:lol: I get your theroy.

MMM_donuts

An awful lot of people work in places, especially public places, that require a doctor's note to take off work. Therefore they are either forced to go sit in a doctor's office or urgent care to get a note, which doesn't actually treat anything but exposes all the other sick people to their flu and the healthy people, too. Or they have to go to work regardless that they are contagious.

That certainly doesn't help the spreading of the flu.

I wear a mask over my mouth and I wear goggles and plastic gloves.

Yeah, I know... I just captured this picture of you from our Skype conversation.

Attachments

• dowhat.jpg
    dowhat.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 73

Toxick

Splat
https://flunearyou.org/

Anyone got the flu? Had it recently? Got the vaccine?

I'm curious, because I don't get the flu shot, and I rarely get sick. However, what I'm seeing fairly regularly is that people who get the vaccine, are still getting the flu. What's the point?

I never had the flu in my entire life.

Until December 28th.

That thing put me flat on my ass. I didn't get the flu shot, because before that I had never needed one. My whole family got the shot. They did not get creamed like I did.

It was horrible.

HORRIBLE.

If there is any chance the vaccine can help, take it.

Roman

The Flu Vaccine used to be made with modified Live Virus, now it's not. I get veccinated as soon as it is available, usually in August. The very young, the very old, and people with compramized Immune Systems are the targets of the deadliest of Flus. People that smoke should get the shot. The strains that the shots are made of, are the one's as determined by the CDC to be the deadliest. There are thousands of viruses out there, but only three are in the shot. We had three members of the same Family that died last year of the Flu. I only use hand sanitizer after using a shopping cart, but that's mainly because you don't know who washes their hands after going to the Bath Room. My rule of thumb is hand washing frequently, and not touching my eyes, nose or mouth unless the hands are washed. Some viruses can be caught through the air, but most are from touching surfaces where an ill person has touched. I'd love to take a swab of a shopping cart, and see what kinds of bacteria grows in those dishes.

I'd love to take a swab of a shopping cart, and see what kinds of bacteria grows in those dishes.

That is one of the bonuses of shopping at one of the local McKay's stores... they frequently sanitize their carts by running them through the full-cart sanitizer station they have at each of the stores.

sockgirl77

That is one of the bonuses of shopping at one of the local McKay's stores... they frequently sanitize their carts by running them through the full-cart sanitizer station they have at each of the stores.

I've seen alot of snot-nosed kids at Wal-fart this year. I seriously doubt that they ever sanitize theirs. :lol: