Football Pool - Week 2

Otter

Nothing to see here
DoWhat said:
The spread that I read today for the Ravens vs Jets, was + 10 for the Jets.

Not sure if you had a typo. (You had 0 ).

But, I'm keeping my pick either way.

The line I post is from the USA Today or where ever on Tuesday night or Wednesday(usual)..if its a NL, its 0..for our purposes, it doesn't change..It wasn't a typo..you ask too many questions, I'm gonna make a motion to have you tossed out.

Pete

Repete
otter said:
Home
Steelers -9.5 Bills
Browns 6.5 Bengals
Titans 7 Colts
Panthers -6.5 Texans
Rams -3 49ers
Giants -1 Packers
Jaguars -10.5 Falcons
Buccs 3.5 Saints
Lions -3 Vikings
Dolphins 3.5 Cowboys
Cardinals 3 Seahawks
Ravens 0 Jets
Broncos -10 Raiders
Bears -12 Chiefs
Patriots -3.5 Chargers
Eagles -7 Redskins
Yo Ott, the line you posted here is different than what you have in your chart. The lions game is the only thing I noticed that actually changes the outcome. Here you have it -3 which is a push, on the main chart you have a -4 which makes it a Vikings win.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How was...

Pete said:
Yo Ott, the line you posted here is different than what you have in your chart. The lions game is the only thing I noticed that actually changes the outcome. Here you have it -3 which is a push, on the main chart you have a -4 which makes it a Vikings win.

...young mans first real game?

Otter

Nothing to see here
Pete said:

The 'official' line is the first one listed..which is -3..the chart was a typo somehow. I have to figure out how that happened cuz the chart lines are fed by the spreadsheet where I keep everything..weird.

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
...young mans first real game?
It was good. They lost 13-0 but it was a little bit of miss match. It seemed the whole team was made up of cookie cutter kids (same height and weight) all near the weight limit as opposed to our kids which are all along the spectrum.

Offense was rocked back because they did not control the offensive line. They were crashing at least 1 linebacker and one DB every play. The line was fighting but could not stop the penetration which was typically focused at the smallest O lineman. The RB's either missed their blocks or were overwhelmed and had to choose which of the 3 enemy players to hit.

The O line were trying to take on bigger and taller kids up high and were getting pushed around. Still in the last half the coaches gave up on some of the fancy plays and ran it right up the gut and they had the most impressive drives of the game. All the fancy counters and reverses and stuff take a couple seconds to develop and since the O line was not in control it allowed their players crucial time to get in the back field and spoil the play. Up the gut worked best.

On D it was the same. They targeted the smallest D linemen and ran off tackle all day long. Pound pound pound. Even then they held their own. The 2 TD's allowed were set up by long (15 yard) pass plays where our non existent d- backs got burned hard because they were giving a lot of run support. The defense still fought hard even causing them to turn over on downs 3 or 4 times including one goal line stand.

Boy did really well. Excellent pass blocking, got beat up pretty good on the o line and admits he got beaten several times because he forgot to take them low. Typical nerves of the first game ever, the chaos after the snap and trying to determine WTF was going on, trouble locating the ball carrier. He did have many highlights: On o line his opp bailed and pursued the play down the line and Boy went through and nailed a unsuspecting linebacker, on an offset he was pulling to lead block and got a good pop in the DE. On D he got some good penetration in the 2nd half, pressured the QB once pretty good until an unseen RB decleated him :lol:. He met the ball carrier in the hole and stood him up and while waiting for help he wrapped the ball and almost yanked it from the ball carrier, he slipped his block and got in on a nice tackle with a linebacker.

Pete

Repete
cattitude said:
It was great!! The aunts have decided that one fan needs a gag.
I am not a "fan" I am a "dad" and I have full licence to yell, cheer, coach, instruct, go ape with glee, and any other demonstration.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Funny how...

Pete said:
Still in the last half the coaches gave up on some of the fancy plays and ran it right up the gut and they had the most impressive drives of the game.

...that hasn't changed in some 100 years.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Did you...

Pete said:
He met the ball carrier in the hole and stood him up and while waiting for help he wrapped the ball and almost yanked it from the ball carrier, he slipped his block and got in on a nice tackle with a linebacker.

...explode in cheers right then and there? :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As long as he...

Pete said:
...admits he got beaten several times because he forgot to take them low.

...recognizes that, he's gonna get better ever game. Azz down, head up. Glad to hear it. Baptism of fire. You can't teach the chaos of a live game.

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
...that hasn't changed in some 100 years.
Yea, I think the coaches will change their plan of attack. Too many time consuming counters, reverses, options that give the D too much time to crash and ruin it in the back field. Besides there were too many things to remember for the kids. On one play Boy pulls and leads the RB around the corner. the #2 back is supposed to hit the hole Boy left and take down the d linemen. Boy bailed on the hole and was hitting the DE on the corner and the #2 back forgot and the QB got clobbered by the DT who had a clear path.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's what...

kom526 said:
With a guttural and fear inducing growl of "Yeah!"?

...I would have done. Hell, I got excited my stepsons first game when he got ploughed and got right back up!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

Pete said:
Yea, I think the coaches will change their plan of attack. Too many time consuming counters, reverses, options that give the D too much time to crash and ruin it in the back field. Besides there were too many things to remember for the kids. On one play Boy pulls and leads the RB around the corner. the #2 back is supposed to hit the hole Boy left and take down the d linemen. Boy bailed on the hole and was hitting the DE on the corner and the #2 back forgot and the QB got clobbered by the DT who had a clear path.

...they gotta have plays that take advantage of the d when they adjust to the dives. FB Dive, HB counter and off tackle, QB option. Hits em on the middle, the edge and outside.