For those of you with little ones...

Geek

mv_princess said:
But don't they take that money to get school books, and other things?

I don't have kids, I agree with making them safer, but I am sure they have thought about this before.

how many kids are taken from the schools themselves? And not on their way home, or at home?

I don't care how many kids it has happened to. I don't want it to happen to one.

N

nitwhit3286

mv_princess said:
But don't they take that money to get school books, and other things?

I don't have kids, I agree with making them safer, but I am sure they have thought about this before.

how many kids are taken from the schools themselves? And not on their way home, or at home?

I totally agree...chances are more likely that children are taken while walking home from school or at home..than at school.

Geek

nitwhit3286 said:
I totally agree...chances are more likely that children are taken while walking home from school or at home..than at school.

So you like to take chances with your kids?

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Geek said:
I don't care how many kids it has happened to. I don't want it to happen to one.
I agree with you. But you just can't assume they haven't tried these things before.

i would almost bet that if they took money away from getting books for kids to raise security levels you would complain about that. (*maybe not you but someone would*) It's a 50/50 toss up.

Teach your kids how to be safe.

N

nitwhit3286

Geek said:

and thats what we say everyday about our boys over in iraq...I don't care how many solidiers have already been killed, I just don't want it to happen anymore. Things are going to happen. No matter how safe a learning establishment is, it has a chance to happen. Don't you think if someone was already on the inside? A teacher that is a rapist teaching your child everyday and you are locking that person inside the school with your child and countless other children every day?

N

nitwhit3286

I do care about my child very much and want the best education for her. But you can not hide them from the real world...if you shelter your children all their lives...they will break under the pressure of going out into the real world...getting a job and having a stable living environment of their own? I am not going to smother her from wanting to experience things as she gets older because I am afraid of the man down the street from us. I will keep a close eye, make sure she is in good company and teach her right from wrong. Thats all we can do.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
mainman said:
This is a lovely sentiment, but the world doesn't always work this way...
I understand. But you can only hope that your teachings will protect them. Or at least help them.

mainman

Set Trippin
mv_princess said:
I understand. But you can only hope that your teachings will protect them. Or at least help them.
I don't think you do understand.... I entrust my childs safety and well being to the school system everyday he walks out of my front door, as do millions of people in this country do every day. What is wrong with throwing some security cameras up. If those cameras stop 1 child from being abducted, then they are worth every cent and then some.....

Geek

mv_princess said:
I agree with you. But you just can't assume they haven't tried these things before.

i would almost bet that if they took money away from getting books for kids to raise security levels you would complain about that. (*maybe not you but someone would*) It's a 50/50 toss up.

Teach your kids how to be safe.

The parents that don't want to raise security can kiss my ass. My kids know how to be safe. We, as adults can not stick our heads in the sand and pretend we don't see the increased need for security in today's schools. I could homeschool my kids but what about all of the other kids in school? I would like them to be safe as well.

Cockdiesel

Mr. Contemptuous
mv_princess said:
I understand that, but Geek makes it sound like it would only happen at school

It can happen anywhere at anytime. You can't stress over it too much regardless. You should teach the kids what to stay away from and what to do if a situation occurs and always hope for the best.

MMDad

Lem Putt
mv_princess said:
And where should they get this money?

Emptyprise:

The St. Mary’s County Board of Education gave its stamp of approval last week to the local capital improvements program totaling $58.6 million for the next six years.

Among the proposed projects funded solely from local funds in the next six years are new security entrances for 12 schools,

It's already being done. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Geek

mv_princess said:
I understand that, but Geek makes it sound like it would only happen at school

Girl, my house is as safe as the law will allow :yay: My eyes are on my kids at all times. I am not stupid enough to believe that I can keep them safe in this world, but I will die trying to do my best to get them to adulthood.

donbarzini

Actually, it wouldn't cost that much(relatively) to retro-fit the schools to improve security. The typical school building would require ~20-25 cameras inside and out, and some magnetic locks on exterior doors. You wire the magnetic locks to the fire system so that they disengage upon receipt of a fire alarm and nobody has access to the building through any door but the front one.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Geek said:
How close can those bastards be to an elementary school :confused:

Florida had a law prohibiting them from being within 500 yards or something. Of course some dick moved 502 yards away when I was oing to school in Ft. Myers and it sparked a huge crisis. We called the news and it ended up being top story on ABC 7 News that night.

Geek

####diesel said:
It can happen anywhere at anytime. You can't stress over it too much regardless. You should teach the kids what to stay away from and what to do if a situation occurs and always hope for the best.

I will teach the kids what to stay away from and what to do if a situation occurs and always fight my ass off to make the situation they and other kids are in safer.

Hi cockdiesel :love:

Cockdiesel

Mr. Contemptuous
Geek said:
I will teach the kids what to stay away from and what to do if a situation occurs and always fight my ass off to make the situation they and other kids are in safer.

Hi cockdiesel :love:

:huggy: Hi Geek