Ford Trucks at Kentucky Speedway because they don't have chips.

glhs837

Power with Control
What in the hell? Why would they need a chip for a heating coil or to redirect cooled air. Both easily controlled with a relay which can go to a button. Even if you make the features accessible on a touchscreen, I imagine the "chip" controlling that system would be responsible for triggering the relay, and in that case it would be a hell of a lot more than just the heat/cool seats and stearing wheel that don't work.

Seem unnecessarily complicated.
A multi-function chip takes a fraction of the space and power of a set of relays.

And cost less and have a far greater MTBF. And reduce wiring system cost and complexity. And enable load shedding at need.

I remember the bitching that EFI was unnecessarily complicated. But it does far more than a carb ever could with far less maint and fewer parts.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And reduce wiring system cost and complexity.
I was just going to edit my post and add this. Like for heated seats, you'd have to use a rheostat and run heavy gauge wire from the power source to the rheostat to the seat. With a chip, heavier power wire only needs to be wired to the seat, and low power wiring and control can be in the door, dash, console display, etc...

Reactions: BOP

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Damn Candy-Asses and their #@&% seat warmers! :cussing:

Back when I was coming up you just sat on the icy vinyl seat and froze your #### off like a man! :tantrum

If you wanted a warm #### you could sit on the hood when you got where you were going.

Damn, pampered yung'ins! :cussing:

gemma_rae

I envision a day when at the dealership, after you tell them what you want, the salesperson says "Want chips with that?"🍟

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

Back when I was coming up you just sat on the icy vinyl seat and froze your #### off like a man! :tantrum

If you wanted a warm #### you could sit on the hood when you got where you were going.

:lol:

To be honest, I always forget it's there, and forget to turn it on. Almost 60 years of driving without one, you just don't think about it.

Kinnakeet

View attachment 166281
Thousand of Ford trucks are being parked at Kentucky speedway because they don't have the chips to put in them. This has to be killing Ford's profits, and what kind of sale will they have to have to get rid of them when the chips come in.
That should be a sign to make the chips in AMERICA but you cant sell EV's if gas powered vehicles have chips its the democrat plan

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
For the manufacturer maybe. Seems to me new vehicle costs have gotten higher since the advent of all these advanced systems :sshrug:
Perhaps, but who doesn't want a Leather Bucket Seat that you can sink into and enjoy on demand heated seat, cooling for summer, a gentle or vigorous massage, adjustable lumbar support, a scoliosis exam and prostate check on your way to Burger King?

Kinnakeet

I've had two different dealerships cold-calling me to see if I want to sell my 2020 Tundra with extremely low miles on it.

I know one thing I can just about count on: their ignorant asses won't give me anything near what it's worth.

Speaking of that, I was in one of the dealerships, yesterday, getting a front end alignment. You could have used the showroom floor for a dance hall or a bowling alley. Same for the lot outside. They had two cars inside; a Corolla and a Camry, and cars outside were so spread out to make it appear as though they had more cars than they did.

I almost suggested that they consolidate their vehicles and rent the rest out to the base as overflow parking, along with their shuttle to take people to the base. Too bad they did away with the on-base taxi a few years ago.
I have a 2020 outback with 11000 miles on it and Subaru has offered me more than what I paid for it

PeoplesElbow

A fart works great as a seat warmer.

glhs837

Power with Control
:lol:

To be honest, I always forget it's there, and forget to turn it on. Almost 60 years of driving without one, you just don't think about it.

Wifes 2015 Jeep turns that on for the drive depending on ambient temp when using remote start. Passenger has to do it manually
For the manufacturer maybe. Seems to me new vehicle costs have gotten higher since the advent of all these advanced systems :sshrug:

Well, we keep asking vehicles to do more. Most of your cost comes from the hard stuff. Crash survivability, increased MPG, that sort of thing.

That should be a sign to make the chips in AMERICA but you cant sell EV's if gas powered vehicles have chips its the democrat plan

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately attributed to stupidity. And you sure can sell EVs no matter what the status of gas cars. They make a better value proposition in a lot of cases. A Model 3 that costs 10k more out the door than a Honda or Toyota costs less to own overall. Those maint costs and fuel costs add up.

Hijinx

I remember back in 1960 I bought a Morris Mini.
Back then it had seats that reminded me of painted pipe and barely cushioned. The door opened with a piece of cable and there was very little in the way of door upholstery It got 40 MPG and was cute and handled like a race car. I think i paid a little over $ 1,000 dollars for it.

When the new mini's came out I went to look at them and found that BMW was selling them they had great upholstery plush seats handles for the doors and sold for $25,000 dollars
I passed. Back then Austin Healey made a mini also, and it was a hot rod. 2 carburetors and faster than lightning. Basically a souped up Morris. Europeans raced the hell out of them. It was a poor mans race car. I also had a VW beetle once . It was pretty much a 55 gallon drum with a motor. Today everyone wants all of the comforts, and they pay for them too.

WingsOfGold

We bought a new car in July without the chips for heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel. Hope to have the chips before we trade the car in...
Bought a new Grand Cherokee WK in May.......... so far no issues (except for dealership). Good luck!

Reactions: TPD

WingsOfGold

I've had two different dealerships cold-calling me to see if I want to sell my 2020 Tundra with extremely low miles on it.

I know one thing I can just about count on: their ignorant asses won't give me anything near what it's worth.

Speaking of that, I was in one of the dealerships, yesterday, getting a front end alignment. You could have used the showroom floor for a dance hall or a bowling alley. Same for the lot outside. They had two cars inside; a Corolla and a Camry, and cars outside were so spread out to make it appear as though they had more cars than they did.

I almost suggested that they consolidate their vehicles and rent the rest out to the base as overflow parking, along with their shuttle to take people to the base. Too bad they did away with the on-base taxi a few years ago.
Not always true... I got 35K for my 2018 4Runner 30K miles, that part I liked. More than I paid for it.

• Wow

WingsOfGold

And cost less and have a far greater MTBF. And reduce wiring system cost and complexity. And enable load shedding at need.

I remember the bitching that EFI was unnecessarily complicated. But it does far more than a carb ever could with far less maint and fewer parts.
But carbs I understood and could rebuild.