Gave Wal-Mart a chance

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm due for an oil change and tire rotation on my truck. I need the synthetic oil as well. Last time it was close to $90 for that and tire rotation. If the price is 1/2, I'd be willing to shop around for 3 hours if they good the job properly. I'm not about to change the oil and rotate the tires myself :diva:

As far as the oil and oil change.....
If you know what weight to use; ie 5-W-30 etc., just go to Wal*Mart and get the oil and the filter; take them to Tires Plus; on Worth Ave; and tell 'em you just want the oil changed; and if you want to, ask how much they charge for a tire rotation, and make up your mind if you want to do both. Picking up the oil and filter at the store might be an extra step to go through, but at least you will know that they're using.

Last edited:

SoMDGirl42

As far as the oil and oil change.....
If you know what weight to use; ie 5-W-30 etc., just go to Wal*Mart and get the oil and the filter; take them to Tires Plus; on Worth Ave; and tell 'em you just want the oil changed; and if you want to, ask how much they charge for a tire rotation, and make up your mind if you want to do both. Picking up the oil and filter at the store might be an extra step to go through, but at least you will know that they're using.

and unless I watch them put the oil that I BOUGHT, I might have just supplied the mechanic with synthetic oil for his own vehicle while I get some cheap stuff dumped in mine.

DEEKAYPEE8569

and unless I watch them put the oil that I BOUGHT, I might have just supplied the mechanic with synthetic oil for his own vehicle while I get some cheap stuff dumped in mine.

So having said that, what do you think your options are? Or.....hold on.....try this.....
Mark the oil you just bought with a Sharpie; write your initials on it :shrug:, and ask that the empty container(s); including the oil filter box; be cleanly placed on the floor of the front passenger seat. I understand the trepidation. I've had to do that myself. They might look at you like you're crazy; just sarcastically say, 'Hey, just making sure you guys do a good job.' Followed by :biggrin:

dave1959

If that's your concern then maybe should not even go there... Pick a place you trust.

I am working on no longer doing my own oil changes.
Taught #1 son in the spring, right before he left to work scout camp for the summer.
Brought him home Aug. 2.
He changed the oil in the suburban Aug. 8.
1 minor "I removed the wrong bolt at first" brain fart, but in the end, he did it right, without me doing anything (other than tightening the bolt that he incorrectly loosened).
A week ago he changed the oil in our Honda Pilot. No issues there. Just put 1200 miles on it this weekend.
Figure I will teach #2 son in a year.
Daughter #1 in 2 years.
Daughter #2 in 8 years.
If things work out right, I shouldn't have to change the oil myself for the next 12 years.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My problem with do-it-yourself oil changes is that there are some things that don't get done, if that's ALL you do is change the oil. What about the extra stuff the shops claim to do like lube all your grease fittings, check the levels on all fluids ..... or are you who do-it-yourselves doing that also? My car has only had oil changes in the past 2 years because one of my friends has done it for me. My car has the warning light lit saying I need to change my oil, and I don't know how to reset it. A few weeks ago I heard strange noises and realized the next day that is was happening when I turned the steering wheel - hmm my power steering fluid hadn't be checked in 2 years - that'll do it. So I grabbed the steering fluid and added some, noise stopped, magical :smile:. I better check my other fluids huh?

SamSpade

I used to do my oil changes - when I had a big American car and the filter was where I could just reach in and take it off - the filter was at any store - the oil pan was the easiest thing to open - and the oil cover was right where I could get to it easily. Ah those were the days.

Every car since then has been an adventure trying to figure out how to get it off. I've found since then that, for a few more bucks they will do a lot of checks I wouldn't do, but I know my car well enough to know what recommendations they say are crap and which are legit. I'll replace my own air filter but I won't replace the belt. I'll replace the battery, but not the alternator.

And I have no desire to do this stuff in the wintertime. I don't really have a cozy garage to do this in.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I spent 2 hours trying to get the oil filter off my “new to me” truck Saturday. I squished it into a tin foil ball before I got it off. I ended up skewering it through its little black heart with a screwdriver to get it to move.

:mad:

PeoplesElbow

Had a 1996 Dodge Intrepid with about 90ish thousand miles. Always had regular service. The oil pressure started falling off pretty regularly. Had it checked out and found the bearings were badly worn. Had Hewitts drop in a Jasper reman engine. Ran like new after that. Of course, six months later I hit a deer and the insurance company totaled the car. I think they allowed an exra $200 for the engine. Thanks.:sarcasm: If I would have had a place to do it, I would have bought it back for salvage and parted it out. Nope.

Oh, and I do all my oil changes. I didn't have time to do my sons truck once so I told him to take it to Precision Tune. The next time we went to change it, the drain plug was cranked in so tight I stripped the head trying to get it out. Won't be doing that again.

Sorry to hear that, Chrysler products are pieces of #### only slightly above the Yugo IMHO.

I had someone leave off the oil fill cap, was just floating around under my hood. Good thing I check the oil before I leave to make sure the car actually has oil in it. I have heard horror stories of places like Jiffy Lube draining the oil and forgetting to refill it or leaving out the drain plug etc and the person driving away with no oil.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

You could buy Royal Purple http://www.royalpurple.com/ yes it is purple. It is fine oil also.

If you are familiar with the various colors of the various brands you can tell. Some oil is very clear and other is very amber but the purple stuff is a dead give away.

acommondisaster

I did not see you specify but by the wait I am guessing it was the one in California. They are always terribly slow. I highly recommend LaPlata Wal-mart for oil changes, Not much else but the are on top of things in the oil change department. I dropped my van off, made a pit stop by the bathroom and had just entered the baby section when they called my name. I went over thinking something was wrong (being used to California I expected to be there an hour or two). It was ready to be picked up, they had even vacuumed it :0)

I've had good luck with them, though I admit since I got the new Miata I haven't been there. No complaints about the La Plata Walmart for oil change. Pretty quick, courteous. My biggest complaint would be the people who bring a shopping cart full of stuff to pay for at the register when they pick up their car, but I learned I can pay for the oil change at any register. Presently, I'm using the Valvoline on Crain Hwy in LaPlata; no complaints there, either.

I don't want to break a nail, so I don't do my own oil changes.

bulldog

People who want to keep others in their community employed. Pretty selfish to do it yourself when it's such a small, affordable thing that guarantees someone has an honest income. Changing your own oil is for the unemployed.

Did someone hack your computer and post this stupid remark under your handle? Not really used to you saying such drivel.

If you really believe this, where do you draw the "small, affordable thing" line? I clip my dogs nails and give her a bath. Am I doing so at the expense of someone else making an honest income? The cost of that and an oil change are about the same. I mow my own lawn, wash my own car, truck and motorcycle. I clean our pool when I could perfectly well afford to have someone do it for us. Should I hire those things out too? Do you clean your own house or do you provide someone with an honest income by kicking back and relaxing while they clean for you?

I'm far from unemployeed, but I do everything that I can for myself. Self reliance is not a bad thing...except in an ultra politically correct world. I also don't feel like it's my responsibility to provide anyone (except my family) with anything. If there is something I can't to, I'm certainly going to shop that out locally, probably with a small, family owned and operated business if I can find one. I won't go outside the county if I don't have to, but I sure don't feel guilty if I do.

So again, where do YOU draw the line $$$-wise when it comes to what you'll do yourself and what you'll hire out so that you can help someone make an honest income?

mamatutu

mama to two
HA ! You don't seriously believe that nonsense about itsboob being educated do you ??

Wow. So, if you don't agree with itsbob, you use a female reference to bash him. That would make you a male chauvinist pig jerk. So, I hope you were being sarcastic, and just playin', right?