• It won't harm them and will rightly make them accept gays in society

Votes: 39 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Look...

This_person said:
And, that's the substance of the whole argument. Does KMW or her peers know the phrasology (is that a word?) I want used when discussing this with my kid, or you with yours, or Psy's with his? I doubt it. And, if we don't trust the state, via the writers of the curriculum, via the teachers, to phrase and handle it the way we want, we probably don't want the class taught. Five minutes of "don't discriminate or harass" would be just as effective. 4 sessions of 45 minutes on "the plight of homosexuals" (basically) is not within the realm of the state. (the last one being a video demonstration of how to properly put on and use a condom)

Yes, KMW, we can opt out. But, why should we have to? Make it an afterschool club like the ones you told me about before. That way everybody gets what they want out of it.

...let's say your kid is going to read this whole thread, 13 years old, unbeknownst to you.

Let's say they asked a few people what they were about to get into. Some people probably would describe me, my posts, as a 'queer loving' or some derogatory term.

Some people would tell your kid that I have no or poor morals.

Some people would say I have made a bunch of great points that further knowledge, bring peace and all around serve mankind.

And a few points in between.

Point is, whatever Jr. gets from this, if you discuss it with him that evening he's gonna know and understand YOUR view, your beliefs, way better than what they get from me or anyone else. I'll bet he already does long before reading this.

There's just a general fear people seem to have that this is all going to hurt their kids which, I guess, means turn them gay or turn them against the folks views and beliefs. It just strikes me as selling the kids and the parents themselves short.

I had two teachers in my life who tried to instill, indoctrinate if you will, two kooked out ideas;

1. That it was our fault the Japs bomber Pearl Harbor.

2. That Lenin was a good guy.

Now, me being me, I got tossed out for laughing out loud and being a disruption. The kids who didn't have a clue listened and took the tests and still didn't care. The ones who bought into it were not kids who I would describe as having...involved parents.

I'm just saying that within the context of a given parents faith and beliefs and thoughts on homosexuality, if you're involved enough with your kids to even know they had a class or whatever on how great being gay is, your kids are gonna be fine. That you talk to them, discuss, debate, that is gonna make them great students and later, great adults. YOU are teaching them. I come down on the side of controversy, hot issues, something interesting being a GOOD thing. Damn, in my book, it's gonna present an opportunity to be that much closer to your kids.

Besides, the truth is quite relieving; No one or no class can make your kid gay.

This_person

kmw1123 said:
We can argue this all day, AND HAVE :lmao: but what is going to happen if and when it goes to court and the board of ed wins? I don't teach sex ed, so it's not going to bother me if it doesn't win, but what are all the parents who have a huge issue with it going to do?
I'm not in that county, but I'd sure do my best to get everyone to opt out, just solely on the basis of how the decision was made - not the substance of the course.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Everybody have a GREAT...

...weekend and I do mean everybody! I'm OUT!

Beer drinking. Deck fixing. Maybe some golf at WISP and some water skiing or tubing!!!

Oh yeah and some; :larry:

:cheers:

kmw1123

This_person said:
I'm not in that county, but I'd sure do my best to get everyone to opt out, just solely on the basis of how the decision was made - not the substance of the course.

Well, since it was approved by the state board of ed, it is bound to trickle down our way at some point in time. And I support the decision to opt out for whatever reason. My whole point is that you do have the option. No one is forcing your children to be in this class and change their beliefs. The state is supporting both your beliefs and the beliefs of the people who do want the classes.

This_person

Larry Gude said:
There's just a general fear people seem to have that this is all going to hurt their kids which, I guess, means turn them gay or turn them against the folks views and beliefs. It just strikes me as selling the kids and the parents themselves short.
Besides, the truth is quite relieving; No one or no class can make your kid gay.
You're at least the second person this thread that I've had to say this to; of course not. I have no idiotic belief that 3 hours of "indoctrination", and the thread is titled, nor 300 hours of it, will turn my kids gay. That has never been, nor ever will be, my point at all. Some of the people here, maybe, but never mine.
I had two teachers in my life who tried to instill, indoctrinate if you will, two kooked out ideas;

1. That it was our fault the Japs bomber Pearl Harbor.

2. That Lenin was a good guy.
Kids being what kids are, you handled this as a kid would. But, how the kids handle it, even, is not MY point.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that these teachers were teaching this today, to your kids. And, being an involved parent (as we all should be), you learn of it, and take your concerns to the school board. They tell you it's just a good part of the curriculum, so leave 'em alone. You say, "but wait, let me tell the kids my side of this with my version of the facts, or at least include some dissenting opinions..." They say no. You take it to the state, who tells you that the county school board's duty supercedes your right as a parent to address this issue.

The point isn't that it's homosexuality teaching. The point is, this isn't how you handle it. I know, you agree with that, you've said it and I'm not trying to ignore that.

I just don't know why, when discussing homosexuality, the discussion always breaks down into "what, do you think i'm gonna turn your kid into a fudge packer" type attacks on the people that have differing opinions. Would people say "what, do you think I'm gonna turn your kid Japanese" if the discussion was on the reasoning behind the Pearl Harbor attack?
I'm just saying that within the context of a given parents faith and beliefs and thoughts on homosexuality, if you're involved enough with your kids to even know they had a class or whatever on how great being gay is, your kids are gonna be fine. That you talk to them, discuss, debate, that is gonna make them great students and later, great adults. YOU are teaching them. I come down on the side of controversy, hot issues, something interesting being a GOOD thing. Damn, in my book, it's gonna present an opportunity to be that much closer to your kids.
I agree with the discussions with kids (I hope that's obvious) with the parents. I disagree with the state taking this control. Leave the controversial discussions of this nature to the parents - or at least let the controversial issues be fully discussed. You want controversy to discuss, talk Iraq, and make the kids research their opinions. Not homosexuality, because no one is "right", compared to anyone else's beliefs, on this.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This_person said:
I know that, thanks to Clint Eastwood and his chippie, "palimony" exists, and has great precedence (sp?). It's true that families can contest wills. But, ask Anna Nicole Smith (before she died) if being married helped much with that... there's always room for legal actions. it just puts 'em on the same footing with the rest of us.

It's not perfect, but it's really no less perfect (in my opinion) than it is for anyone else.

I think the Anna Nicole issue stemmed more from not knowing who the father of the child was. Even though she had a will her life was in such disarray and affected by drugs and promiscuous that it was easy to bring her will into question.

Don't get me wrong. I believe gay couples should have the same rights as hetero couples. I think the lack of rights gays have vs. hetero couples just exacerbates the legal complications.

This_person

PsyOps said:
I think the Anna Nicole issue stemmed more from not knowing who the father of the child was. Even though she had a will her life was in such disarray and affected by drugs and promiscuous that it was easy to bring her will into question.

Don't get me wrong. I believe gay couples should have the same rights as hetero couples. I think the lack of rights gays have vs. hetero couples just exacerbates the legal complications.
I was actually meaning the will from her late husband.

I believe there should be the same rights, too. My point was, they already have those rights, just in different formats.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This_person said:
I was actually meaning the will from her late husband.

I believe there should be the same rights, too. My point was, they already have those rights, just in different formats.
Man, you and I just aren't getting on the same page today are we?

:blushing:

SamSpade

PsyOps said:
A bit. My pine trees are infested with bagworms and my dog got hold of a little rabbit and about killed it. What else could go wrong? :jameo:

What else? Probably what happened to the little rabbit I saved from my dog. I put it in my neighbor's yard to protect it from my dog.

An owl swooped down and took it away.

I guess it was just his time to go. :shrug:

PsyOps

Pixelated
SamSpade said:
What else? Probably what happened to the little rabbit I saved from my dog. I put it in my neighbor's yard to protect it from my dog.

An owl swooped down and took it away.

I guess it was just his time to go. :shrug:

Actually my wife took it to a place in Lusby and they said it has a cracked rib and vertebra. They said he has a chance. I’m not so confident. He was bleeding from the ear which means possible brain hemorrhage. But I guess that didn’t show up in xrays.