• This world is really going crazy!

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Uncle Rico said:
I just checked the linen closet. We don't own a single plain white sheet. I do have some knomes and a pink flamingo in the front yard. ARe they bad?
Perhaps not in the LINEN closet.. It just goes to show you perhaps have bad taste, bad spelling, bad judgement and poor choice in lawn ornaments... As well as antiquated ideas...

Mikeinsmd

virgovictoria said:
Perhaps not in the LINEN closet.. It just goes to show you perhaps have bad taste, bad spelling, bad judgement and poor choice in lawn ornaments... As well as antiquated ideas...
You're replying to someone with the intellect to ask such thought provoking questions as "What do you like on your pizza?" and "Toilet paper, top or bottom?". :killingme

Uncle Rico

Mikeinsmd said:
You're replying to someone with the intellect to ask such thought provoking questions as "What do you like on your pizza?" and "Toilet paper, top or bottom?". :killingme

So, Mike, which is it? Over the roll or under? :razz: Thank you for your kind karma. I love you too, man!

OrneryPest

lower life form
Uncle Rico said:
What do you think?
I try to avoid thinking. It's an unaccustomed strain.

But specifically on this issue, I really don't care. Gay folks, weird as they are, exist and desire to form partnerships, and I suppose it might be useful to recognize those partnerships in some way. I suppose extending the institution of marriage to them would probably be okay. If marriage turns out to not work for them, let them invent some new institution.

CrashTest

Tonio said:
I agree. Government has no compelling interest in banning gay marriage. And the claim that gay marriage threatens straight marriage is an attempt to scare voters, in my view. It suggests a paranoid scenario of hordes of gay men and lesbians acting as homewreckers, luring decent, upstanding straight people away from their loving spouses. (Sorry, I've been reading too many JPC posts.)

Cool!!! If the government is not going to define marriage, then that means I can marry my cat. I’d marry my cat in a minute just so I can lower my income tax liability. Below is a story about a woman in Israel who married a dolphin.

------------------------------------------
Sharon Tendler met Cindy 15 years ago. She said it was love at first sight. This week she finally took the plunge and proposed. The lucky "guy" plunged right back.

In a modest ceremony at Dolphin Reef in the southern Israeli port of Eilat, Tendler, a 41-year-old British citizen, apparently became the world's first person to "marry" a dolphin.

Dressed in a white dress, a veil and pink flowers in her hair, Tendler got down on one knee on the dock and gave Cindy a kiss. And a piece of herring.

"It's not a perverted thing. I do love this dolphin. He's the love of my life," she said Saturday, upon her return to London.

Tendler, who said she imports clothes and promotes rock bands in England, has visited Israel several times a year since first meeting the dolphin.

When asked in the past if she had a boyfriend, she would always reply, "No. I'm going to end up with Cindy." On Wednesday, she made it official, sort of. While she acknowledged the "wedding" had no legal bearing she did say it reflected her deep feelings toward the bottlenosed, 35-year-old object of her affection.

"It's not a bad thing. It just something that we did because I love him, but not in the way that you love a man. It's just a pure love that I have for this animal," she said.

While she still kept open the option of "marrying human" at some stage, she said for now she was strictly a "one-dolphin woman".

She's hardly the jealous type, though.

"He will still play with all the other girls there," she said, of their prenuptial agreement. "I hope he has a lot of baby dolphins with the other dolphins. The more dolphins the better."

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...saddly, unthinkable really, not everyone did.

I got this unsigned red karma remark;

Profound, eh?
I have my theories, Mr. Gude.... Mine simply reads:
Gay marraige 08-13-2006 05:26 AM goof

It may take me all day..... But I do think I shall recover, :drama:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
virgovictoria said:
I bet you still have lawn jockeys too.... :coffee:
Can we get get one?

JMHO I'd prefer a more Libertarian approach.

Get the government ie. licenses, divorces etc. out of the business of marriage and the problem goes away.

It's a religious and private arrangement, it needn't be sanctioned one way or the other by goverment.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
08-11-2006 10:09 PM you are heartless your taxes are not the only one that is going to some of these programs and you do not know if all of them are free loading...you people think you know eveything but you dont

Dont feel bad guys, the welfare leach has honored me with red also.

Maybe I should be happy that my hard earned dollars are being stolen from me to supply a free life to a lazy person?

bdh802

Bob
bcp said:
Dont feel bad guys, the welfare leach has honored me with red also.

Maybe I should be happy that my hard earned dollars are being stolen from me to supply a free life to a lazy person?

BCP, it doesn't take much to get red karma. I received 9 green karmas and 2 negatives for my cop/donut sign. I've only been around for a few weeks now but I have learned that not everyone will agree with you here. Oh, and I'm on your side regarding welfare. I'm tired of supporting the lazy people. Not the needy people, but the lazy people. I guess someone will hit me with red for that one.

TexasPride77

Eat More Beef, Less Chkn
Larry Gude said:
...as between a man and a woman...of the same background....

Larry, I'd have to say that I find you to be one of the most intellectual individuals here on these boards. Your insite has yet to not contain common sense which I feel we all over look on occasion. Thank you for bringing folks back to reality of issues. Its nice to know that there is someone one out there who can keep their head on their shoulders.

TexasPride77

Eat More Beef, Less Chkn
bdh802 said:
... I've only been around for a few weeks now but I have learned that not everyone will agree with you here.

Thats a good thing though...because if everyone agreed with me....these boards would be useless...and boring! I'm here to learn different perspectives on issues... We all are like horses with blinders. We bear our burdens and understand life from the only point of view we've ever known - our own. By coming here on these boards and stating our opinions - we may find that not everyone likes what we have to say but that is not the point of comming here. The point is that we've taken a step in the direction of learning how NOT to be so narrow minded on issues of everyday life.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I say let them. Does it really matter? Will anything in the world really change, no, but it will make some people happy. Is that really so wrong?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
Marriage nowadays, for Americans, is about one and only one thing; social order.

Thoughtful post, Larry. My concern is this - I am somewhat suspicious of government's power, especially when it involves issues other than the meat-and-potatoes functions of government such as defense, roads, and public utilities. So when a bureaucrat or politician or an activist claims that a measure is necessary to preserve "social order," my crap detector goes off. I start wondering what the true agenda is behind the measure.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I would like to take this opportunity...

TexasPride77 said:
Larry, I'd have to say that I find you to be one of the most intellectual individuals here on these boards. Your insite has yet to not contain common sense which I feel we all over look on occasion. Thank you for bringing folks back to reality of issues. Its nice to know that there is someone one out there who can keep their head on their shoulders.

...to acknowledge my new best friend, TP77, and his obvious ability to detect intelligent life and to give it just praise. Why, if the world had more people like my good frined, may I call you Tex?, well, frankly, we'd all be better off.

We can never have to much recognition of intelect, common sense or guitars. In fact, I propose we have a day of recognition for TexasPride77 and a statue commisioned in his honor for showing the way.

:larry:

(don't cash the check until Tuesday, I'm a little short right now)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tonio...

Tonio said:
Thoughtful post, Larry. My concern is this - I am somewhat suspicious of government's power, especially when it involves issues other than the meat-and-potatoes functions of government such as defense, roads, and public utilities. So when a bureaucrat or politician or an activist claims that a measure is necessary to preserve "social order," my crap detector goes off. I start wondering what the true agenda is behind the measure.

...I am TOTALLY suspicious of governments power. Having said that, official, sanctioned, legally recognized marriage is a social order that makes sense. I'm talking property rights, responsibility issues, the raising of children, finances, education and so on and on.

The defense of marriage act is stupid on the grounds of 'necessity to preserve social order'. That's just buzz words for bigots. Gay marriage would enhance social order for the same reason it does so with straights.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Larry Gude said:
...I am TOTALLY suspicious of governments power. Having said that, official, sanctioned, legally recognized marriage is a social order that makes sense. I'm talking property rights, responsibility issues, the raising of children, finances, education and so on and on.

The defense of marriage act is stupid on the grounds of 'necessity to preserve social order'. That's just buzz words for bigots. Gay marriage would enhance social order for the same reason it does so with straights.

Excellent post, especially your point about "defense of marriage." Politicians and activists use that phrase to make gays the targets of voters' fears and resentments. It's similar to how racial ambulance chasers promote fear among black voters. Just as the McKinneys and Sharptons tell their followers that white power brokers are conspiring in back rooms to keep blacks as second-class citizens, the Falwells and Dobsons tell their followers that gays are plotting to break up straight families and lure kids into homosexuality. Both tactics are despicable but they work frighteningly well.

Without sounding too much like FDR, I argue that all of us have the same worries about our lives and the lives of our loved ones. I think the real courage is in taking responsibility for one's life, to acknowledge the reality that sometimes bad things happen to good people for no reason, instead of avoiding responsibility by blaming everything on invisible sinister forces.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Let's not...

Tonio said:
Excellent post, especially your point about "defense of marriage." Politicians and activists use that phrase to make gays the targets of voters' fears and resentments. It's similar to how racial ambulance chasers promote fear among black voters. Just as the McKinneys and Sharptons tell their followers that white power brokers are conspiring in back rooms to keep blacks as second-class citizens, the Falwells and Dobsons tell their followers that gays are plotting to break up straight families and lure kids into homosexuality. Both tactics are despicable but they work frighteningly well.

Without sounding too much like FDR, I argue that all of us have the same worries about our lives and the lives of our loved ones. I think the real courage is in taking responsibility for one's life, to acknowledge the reality that sometimes bad things happen to good people for no reason, instead of avoiding responsibility by blaming everything on invisible sinister forces.

...be too scared. People do have a right to oppose gay marriage on any grounds they choose. It's up to our laws to trump peoples passions and viewpoints. The Constitution provides for equal protection and does not allow for discrimination based on gender.

Hell, I used to be strongly opposed to gay marriage. I thought it was absurd and an affront to social order. The more I thought about it and talked on here about, well, new things bother people. If something bothers you over time, then you're likely really against it. Other issues might change your view over time.

I think gay marriage enhances social order.

Without sounding too much like FDR, I argue that all of us have the same worries about our lives and the lives of our loved ones.

Great point; once you see gays as people just like us who happen to have different likes, just like the rest of us, it becomes rather non threatening and simply one more reason why the US is so cool and everyone else sucks more azz than a bicylce seat. Other nations don't do well with new things and change. They feel that have to give up too much. We ARE new things and change and we don't lose the old with the new.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Larry Gude said:
...saddly, unthinkable really, not everyone did.

I got this unsigned red karma remark;

Profound, eh?

Don't worry, if only a few did then it was worth your time to write it. :yay: