Gay people and marriage - do you really care?

How much do you care, really, about gay people?

• I am a Republican and I think gay people are an abomination

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • I am a Republican and I couldn't care less about gay people - let 'em marry. Who cares?

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I am a Democrat and I think gay people are an abomination.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I am a Democrat and I couldn't care less about gay people - let 'em marry. Who cares?

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • I am an Independent and I think gay people are an abomination.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • I am a Independent and I couldn't care less about gay people - let 'em marry. Who cares?

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters

This_person

Marriage is DEFINED as the union between a man and a woman. That definition came from the bible. Nothing any one of us can influence.
Old Testament or New? Are you suggesting that pre-Moses, "marriage" (even as a concept) either didn't exist, or, was any number of any gendered people with any number of any gendered people? Do you have archeological evidence to back that thought up? Because, I think you're putting the definition to the wrong source, personally.
So we just need something that defines the union between man-man or woman-woman. That definitation needs to come from man.

Gay folks are OK, just like any other folks I suppose, and should be afforded all the benifits enjoyed by married people ... but it's tought to redifine something defined in the bible.
Why should they, though? Other than a (very) few minor benefits, all that people with marriage licenses have is available to those without marriage licenses, just not as easily come by. So, what is the driving force to adjust a concept that is hundreds of centuries old for around 0.5% of the population? After all, change for change's sake is stupid. There should be a reason to change.

Last edited:

This_person

So far the vast majority of voters do not care about gay people and their marital inclinations. Even among the Republicans, the voters who say let 'em marry WAY outnumber the ones who object.

This is pretty much what I suspected.

So why is this even remotely a campaign issue with the GOP? Do they just like being out of touch with their constituents? Run around yapping about crap nobody cares about?
Why is it a campaign issue with the DNC, too? This is not just a GOP initiated discussion on the political arena.

My guess is they bring it up as a divisive issue to help keep stereotypes of tolerance and religions active (on both sides' parts). The GOP can shout "family values", and run and hide from the non-typical anecdotal strong homosexual-parented family, while the DNC can shout "tolerance to all" while running and hiding from the spectacle that is the average "gay pride" parade. Like AIDs in America, homosexuals are an insignificant and unimportant issue made larger by politicians, media, and "celebrities" for the purpose of people's own self interest.

{For the AIDs comparison, before anyone goes off on that, around 16,000 people per year die of AIDs in the US (and the number is lowering each year), roughly the same as accidents or nephritis/nephrotic syndrome/nephrosis, and less than people dying from the flu or pnuemonia}

Vince

Nah, don't give a #### either way. If they're stupid enough to get married then they deserve all the marital problems everyone else has. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Like AIDs in America, homosexuals are an insignificant and unimportant issue made larger by politicians, media, and "celebrities" for the purpose of people's own self interest.

I suspect you're right about that. Causes have a way of taking on a life of their own. I have no real idea of how much discrimination was going on toward gays. I'm 44 and I don't remember a time when seeing a gay person was a big deal - even in my high school, if you expressed disgust toward gays, you were ridiculed and considered a socially unacceptable redneck. My limited experience is that true discrimination toward gays wasn't that prevalent.

But I must take issue with you lumping gay families in with gay pride parades - they are two separate entities, with only one common trait. The problem is that the activists have touted the freak Queer Nation types, basically smacking people in the face with outlandish behavior and "I do what I want! :snap:" You can't stereotype a whole group of people based on the actions of a bunch of media hungry nutjobs who are actively trying to be offensive.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I suspect you're right about that. Causes have a way of taking on a life of their own. I have no real idea of how much discrimination was going on toward gays. I'm 44 and I don't remember a time when seeing a gay person was a big deal - even in my high school, if you expressed disgust toward gays, you were ridiculed and considered a socially unacceptable redneck. My limited experience is that true discrimination toward gays wasn't that prevalent.

But I must take issue with you lumping gay families in with gay pride parades - they are two separate entities, with only one common trait. The problem is that the activists have touted the freak Queer Nation types, basically smacking people in the face with outlandish behavior and "I do what I want! :snap:" You can't stereotype a whole group of people based on the actions of a bunch of media hungry nutjobs who are actively trying to be offensive.

Unfortunately, however, that is how they are portrayed in the MSM newsclips. When is the last time you've seen a segment - focusing on quiet and/or serene gay people, going about their daily lives, on the local or national news?

It's not there, is it?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
I'm a Christian and I believe the Bible and the Bible says that homosexual behavior is an abomination. Homosexual behavior is sin like all other sin and no sin should be condoned in any way especially by those that call themselves followers of Christ. Christians should remember not believing God is sin.

Love an pray for sinners; do not condone the sin.

Last edited:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
I couldn't care less if gays want to marry, just so long as they don't throw it in peoples faces like we have to like it or change out beliefs thus get labeled Homophobic. :gossip:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Unfortunately, however, that is how they are portrayed in the MSM newsclips. When is the last time you've seen a segment - focusing on quiet and/or serene gay people, going about their daily lives, on the local or national news?

It's not there, is it?

Sure it is - you see it all the time. But then the anti-gay people complain that the media is trying to "normalize" gays.

Portia and Ellen aren't particularly out there. Melissa Ethridge and Julie Cypher are boring as hell, even as a split up couple. Even the Queer Eye guys weren't all that outlandish. And I don't think you get a whole lot more conservative than Mary Cheney.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm a Christian and I believe the Bible and the Bible says that homosexual behavior is an abomination.

So what do you think about gays having the same civil rights that straights have? Should they be able to legally marry? Render unto Caesar?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I'm a Christian and I believe the Bible and the Bible says that homosexual behavior is an abomination. Homosexual behavior is sin like all other sin and no sin should not be condoned in any way especially by those that call themselves followers of Christ. Christians should remember not believing God is sin.

Love an pray for sinners; do not condone the sin.

For those of you, who have not read the Bible, this is spelled out in Leviticus, chapt. 18. The title is "Prohibited Pagan Practices". Verse 22 specifically warns against homosexual behavior.

However, American and International cultures have have drifted away from the Word of God. I suspect this condition will continue on, until the End Times come upon us. If the scriptures are indeed accurate, as I believe them to be, it will not be a pleasant experience for many.

Yes, we do pray for the sinners, including our own selves; for who among us - is without sin?

awpitt

Main Streeter
For those of you, who have not read the Bible, this is spelled out in Leviticus, chapt. 18. The title is "Prohibited Pagan Practices". Verse 22 specifically warns against homosexual behavior.

However, American and International cultures have have drifted away from the Word of God. I suspect this condition will continue on, until the End Times come upon us. If the scriptures are indeed accurate, as I believe them to be, it will not be a pleasant experience for many.

Yes, we do pray for the sinners, including our own selves; for who among us - is without sin?
Isn't that part of the Old Testiment?

Vince

Nah, don't give a #### either way. If they're stupid enough to get married then they deserve all the marital problems everyone else has. :lmao:
But to be serious, being Catholic I'll go with what the Bible says.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How...

Why not, its done all the time on here with you supporting it.

...so? She let's people speak their minds on here up to the point of being too vulgar and/or offensive. She doesn't pick and choose what people say about themselves nor does she censor or edit what anyone says. Here opinion is just that, same as everybody else.

So, how so?

AndyMarquisLIVE

So why is this even remotely a campaign issue with the GOP? Do they just like being out of touch with their constituents? Run around yapping about crap nobody cares about?
It's an issue they use to reach out to "Christian Conservatives." In actuality, most Christians I've met don't care either, just the religious extremists that have hijacked the Republican Party.