Geico

johnjrval424

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I just wanted to know if anyone here has GEICO insurance.

I decided to check around on my rates and, after getting an online quote from GEICO, they can save me 50% on my premiums. I'm thinking I may even switch the homeowners over (since Allstate wants to put it to me with the "tropical cyclone" deductible of now 5% of my house's insured amount).

But, before I went whole hog, I wanted to get some feedback from people who may have had dealings with them. I'm very cautious when making decisions like this - I try to check things out carefully before making a leap.

Thanks everyone! :howdy:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
johnjrval424 said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I just wanted to know if anyone here has GEICO insurance.

I decided to check around on my rates and, after getting an online quote from GEICO, they can save me 50% on my premiums. I'm thinking I may even switch the homeowners over (since Allstate wants to put it to me with the "tropical cyclone" deductible of now 5% of my house's insured amount).

But, before I went whole hog, I wanted to get some feedback from people who may have had dealings with them. I'm very cautious when making decisions like this - I try to check things out carefully before making a leap.

Thanks everyone! :howdy:
I have Geico for my car, and I love them. They are always willing to help and answer my questions. Even recommanded that I get glass covered, which payed off when I had a few rocks hit my window

C

czygvtwkr

Geico is great unless you have been rear ended by someone who uses Geico they they don't want to pay you and your insurance foots the bill.

fedex

Relax, it's fedex
I think Geico is junk. I would go with State Farm, or Nationwide before I went to Geico. Also, a big downfall is that they dont have "offices" you can walk into to talk to your insurance agent etc.

MMDad

Lem Putt
We've had Geico for years. My wife got rear ended by someone with MAIF, which is a nightmare. Geico fixed our car then they went after MAIF for the $$$. MAIF wouldn't have covered a rental, but Geico did. They even replaced the kid's car seats, but only with adequate documentation.

I've had two glass claims, and both were very easy. I also have their roadside assistance, but around here that means wait two hours for the free tow.

Over all, good customer service. :yay:

johnjrval424

MMDad said:
We've had Geico for years. My wife got rear ended by someone with MAIF, which is a nightmare. Geico fixed our car then they went after MAIF for the $$$. MAIF wouldn't have covered a rental, but Geico did. They even replaced the kid's car seats, but only with adequate documentation.

I've had two glass claims, and both were very easy. I also have their roadside assistance, but around here that means wait two hours for the free tow.

I'm glad you mentioned the roadside assistance because I thought about getting that as well. If they aren't going to provide adequate service, then I'll skip it.

czygvtwkr said:
Geico is great unless you have been rear ended by someone who uses Geico they they don't want to pay you and your insurance foots the bill.
Yup, this was exactly our problem with them too! Talk about a headache......

Are you by chance military? If so, go with USAA, love them!

Last edited:

beamher

i have them; never had to file a claim nor use the roadside assistance. ins. was a whole lot cheaper(probably had a lot to do with moving to the area :howdy: ) the home ins. wasn't going to change significantly, so i stayed with state farm but was considering switching at some point.

mamissa3

I have geico too and have not had a prolbem at all with the. I got hit in Walmart Parking lot and they paid for damages than went after other persons insurance. Good customer service to.:)

johnjrval424

lulu belle said:
Yup, this was exactly our problem with them too! Talk about a headache......

I'm not sure I understand - if you are involved in an MVA with someone who is also insured with GEICO, they don't/won't pay the claim, even if you aren't at fault?

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
MMDad said:

I was rear ended by someone on MAIF 5 years ago and MAIF paid for a rental. Took for friggin ever to get an estimate because my car was driveable (with $3,700 worth of damage even). I dealt with them myself over the property damage claim, but sicked a lawyer on them for the personal injury. Wonder if that's why they were more cooperative in the end?

C

czygvtwkr

johnjrval424 said:
I'm not sure I understand - if you are involved in an MVA with someone who is also insured with GEICO, they don't/won't pay the claim, even if you aren't at fault?

I don't know about them but I have Allstate and was rear-ended by someone who had Geico. Geico would not pay, Allstate told me that they have this problem with them all the time and paid me.

johnjrval424 said:
They ended up paying in the long run, just wanted to make a big stink about it, make it seem like it was our fault.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
I have had GEICO for years (including overseas) and have always been treated well. You can access a customer service representative by phone 24/7and be met with politeness and professionalism. Also, the gecko is cute!

I've never used State Farm or Nationwide but I've read some horror stories how they treated their Gulf coast customers. I don't know if the stories are true or not but.....

Vince

Have had Geico for almost 20 years and never had a problem with them. Daughter rear ended a guy that had Geico also and they paid off. I got hit by a large bolt that fell off some guys truck in front of me. Damaged the hood, windshield, and a few other items. Geico fixed the car, and gave me a rental in the meantime. Heard Statefarm is also good, but don't have any experience with them.

johnjrval424

I have had Allstate for over 20 years. I became very disenchanted with them when they decided they weren't going to write any more homeowners policies in my area (Dares Beach) and then proceeded to jack my deductible up to 5%, which amounts to a hurricane deductible in excess of $13,000. If I can find someone else who will write the policy, I will do it in a heartbeat. I thought I might as well give them the auto policy while I'm at it.

I haven't priced GEICO yet for homeowners but will do so if I get enough positive feedback here about their customer service, claim-payment history, etc.

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
I have had Geico for years and I love them. I even have my homeowners through Travelers, which is Geico. I would not switch to anything else.

red_explorer

Love Geico! I've had it for 20 years, my husband 20 years, my parents since they first got Car insurance! It's awesome! Never had a lick of problem.

Scoops

Watch your step
fedex said:
I think Geico is junk. I would go with State Farm, or Nationwide before I went to Geico. Also, a big downfall is that they dont have "offices" you can walk into to talk to your insurance agent etc.

:yeahthat:

I just switched to State Farm for business and personal insurance. Geico was cheaper, but having a physical location nearby was worth the extra coin.

johnjrval424

Just called GEICO to get homeowners quote. They won't touch my house because I have an inground pool. I've gotten this same response from a couple other insurance companies.

Allstate insured me without even coming out and looking at the pool. We can't put a fence up because of the way the backyard slopes and because we have a fish pond/Tiki bar around the perimeter. Kind of hard to describe without seeing it. We would have to fence in over an acre and it wouldn't blend with our current yard.

This is so frustrating. I still might go with them for the auto but I wanted to find someone for the homeowners more urgently.