Geico

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

johnjrval424 said:
Just called GEICO to get homeowners quote. They won't touch my house because I have an inground pool. I've gotten this same response from a couple other insurance companies.

Allstate insured me without even coming out and looking at the pool. We can't put a fence up because of the way the backyard slopes and because we have a fish pond/Tiki bar around the perimeter. Kind of hard to describe without seeing it. We would have to fence in over an acre and it wouldn't blend with our current yard.

This is so frustrating. I still might go with them for the auto but I wanted to find someone for the homeowners more urgently.

Have you tried Erie? Thats what i have for my truck and what my parents have for their vehicles (and I THINK their house). As far as i know they've never been done wrong and it is one of the cheapest places down here... don't know if they will help with your pool situation though

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
johnjrval424 said:
Just called GEICO to get homeowners quote. They won't touch my house because I have an inground pool. I've gotten this same response from a couple other insurance companies.

Allstate insured me without even coming out and looking at the pool. We can't put a fence up because of the way the backyard slopes and because we have a fish pond/Tiki bar around the perimeter. Kind of hard to describe without seeing it. We would have to fence in over an acre and it wouldn't blend with our current yard.

This is so frustrating. I still might go with them for the auto but I wanted to find someone for the homeowners more urgently.

Pictures of your yard, please?

oldman

Lobster Land
Times have changed but it's just the type person I am. Over 40 years ago a close friend was turned down by Geico for car insurance for no reason. I hold a grudge forever. Same with JC Penny. I got a great job down here in 82 but JC would not give me credit in my hometown for clothing I needed. I have not and will not do business with either since. Both may be great businesses now but if they screw me once I don't give them a second chance.

Homer J

Power Chord
Just don't hit any deer. A friend of mine hit one a couple years ago. Geico paid off fine. Fast forward. Same friend hits another deer. (Go figure, it's Southern Maryland) Anyway, Geico refuses to pay because he already bagged his limit on deer.

Now my parents had Progressive. My Dad was backed into by a truck in a parking lot. (Dad was parked, car wasn't even running) The truck driver's insurance paid the claim. My dad "informed" his company, didn't file a claim, just let his agent know what happened, and guess what, they raised his rates. Needless to say, they no longer have Progressive.

Cowgirl

I have GEICO....I was rear-ended by someone who also had GEICO, and it took them ONE MONTH to give me my check for the Jeep...it was totalled. The damn jeep was sitting maybe 50 yards from their offices, and it still took them one month. I was so ready to switch companies...but State Farm wouldn't insure me (I have a couple speeding tickets)....so I'm still with GEICO until my tickets go away. :ohwell:

microcomputer

Life is good!
pcjohnnyb said:
Have you tried Erie? Thats what i have for my truck and what my parents have for their vehicles (and I THINK their house). As far as i know they've never been done wrong and it is one of the cheapest places down here.

We moved to Erie many many years ago (they were almost 1/2 the price of State Farm). We were with State Farm for almost 20 years - they never said a word when I called and told them we were moving to Erie for both auto and home. They didn't even ask why! Anyway, last year we hit a deer ($3,600). We went with their "recommended" repair and car rental suggestions (that was our option - they would have let us go elsewhere) - absolutely no problems at all! Also, we have a pool (it is fenced).

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Had GEICO for a number of years. Good customer service in a claim. They do have a tendency to creep up on the premiums, though. If you go with them, compare rates regularly, to make sure they are still the best deal.

Never had them for homeowners. Had Erie for many years, but they are not tolerant of anything that's a risk. When I went to get a rider on my insurance for my daycare business, which I'd had in my old house for a very, very low price, I was told Erie wouldn't insure me if I had a pool, trampoline, or dog.

Anyone who's met my wimpy dog would realize how silly that is. A breed known to be good with children and a specific dog who is submissive to even the smallest child.... but nope, Erie wouldn't touch it....Have Farmer's now, for almost twice the price. Not terribly happy with their customer service. My agent is very nice, (or at least his assistant is, who I've dealt with) but any dealings I've had with the adjusters...forget it. I can't imagine the hassle I'd get if I had to put in a claim. :yikes:

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
On the personal side I have had GEICO for about 8 years now and have never had a problem. When a hail storm came through here in 04 I filed a claim. Everything went through smoothly no problems.

On the business side we deal with Geico on a regular basis. They are really good about getting customers cars fixed. They come right out to do an estimate and they come back out to check on the vehicle to check the progress.

belvak

Happy Camper
mkd20012001 said:
I have had Geico for years and I love them. I even have my homeowners through Travelers, which is Geico. I would not switch to anything else.

Ditto! No problems from them and I've had them forever. Had State Farm before GEICO and only reason I switched was money. I've even gone the "free rate quote" route with others and they say they can't touch the rate I'm getting with GEICO. BTW, we have two under 25 drivers (one male, one female) on our policy and it still isn't too bad!!

johnjrval424

BS Gal said:
Pictures of your yard, please?
Okay - here you go:

PS - pardon the dust - we are still constructing... :whistle:

Attachments

• Misc Photos 016.jpg
    Misc Photos 016.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Misc Photos 017.jpg
    Misc Photos 017.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Misc Photos 018.jpg
    Misc Photos 018.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Dork

Highlander's MPD
pcjohnnyb said:
Have you tried Erie? Thats what i have for my truck and what my parents have for their vehicles (and I THINK their house). As far as i know they've never been done wrong and it is one of the cheapest places down here... don't know if they will help with your pool situation though

I have Erie. I had GEICO years ago. While I was overseas, they decided to cancel my policy because I didn't tell them about a ticket. I never got a ticket but it took alot of work to get that cleared up.

They may be cheap but I think you have to understand that they like to call the shots and that the customer is not always right. You may like them but you may run into problems as some have indicated here.

johnjrval424

willie said:
What does the County say about no fence?
To my knowledge, the County doesn't care. We had county inspectors come out when we were building the 4-bay garage you see in the background. No one ever said a single word about a fence around the pool.

The people below the hill from us have an inground as well and they don't have a fence.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I like USAA, though I know it isn't available to many. Some of my colleagues have used Geico, never reported any problems. The ones who used State Farm actually bragged about it, that says a lot to me.

greyhound

I believe the fence issue has to do with your insurance. Most will threaten to drop you if you don't put a fence up.

JustTheFax

On the Right Side.
I have Erie, it is a good company if you have a clean driving record.

They give a discount if you have both home owners & auto insurance with the.

When I was shopping Erie was 2nd rated behind USAA.

awpitt

Main Streeter
johnjrval424 said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I just wanted to know if anyone here has GEICO insurance.

I decided to check around on my rates and, after getting an online quote from GEICO, they can save me 50% on my premiums. I'm thinking I may even switch the homeowners over (since Allstate wants to put it to me with the "tropical cyclone" deductible of now 5% of my house's insured amount).

But, before I went whole hog, I wanted to get some feedback from people who may have had dealings with them. I'm very cautious when making decisions like this - I try to check things out carefully before making a leap.

Thanks everyone! :howdy:

Kinda late jumping in here. I don’t know much about GEICO but I have been with State Farm for twenty-two years. They’ve treated me and my family very well. After being with them for a while, I was moved from State Farm standard to State Farm Mutual. Since then, I now receive dividends twice a year based on overall claims/profits. I have everything with them, auto, home, life, disability, etc. My auto rates have been stable over the years. Sometimes they even go down. Once, my wife’s car was hit in a parking lot by an uninsured motorist. We were able to get the car fixed and only had to pay our deductible ($250). Two years later, we got a check in the mail from State Farm in the amount of $250. It came with a letter basically explaining that State Farm had gone after the uninsured motorist and was able to recover the cost for damages so they gave is the deductable back. Very cool. It’s nice having a local agent to interact with. Our agent and his office folks know us. Whenever we stop by their office, we never have to introduce ourselves. That kind of relationship is valuable.

johnjrval424

greyhound said:
I believe the fence issue has to do with your insurance. Most will threaten to drop you if you don't put a fence up.
Allstate took us knowing full well we had an inground pool. Now, I did encounter that question from the other companies I was shopping. I found it really odd that they asked if we had pets (cat and dog), pool (yes) and how many times we entertain (really strange). Now, after calling a few companies, I can understand why. I even had one company state that, because we didn't have a fire hydrant nearby (even though we live 2 miles from the fire department), they wouldn't insure us.

Sounds like to me, insurance companies these days are charging a hefty premium to get out of providing as much coverage as possible. :confused: :nomoney: