Generators for Power Outage

officeguy

I see what you mean. I also note that my two tied circuits are both 20s, while one on his is a 30 and one a 20. You are saying that he could swap the 30s out for 20s? Or reduce the 15s in favor of more 20s as long as he doesnt exceed the overall capacity of the unit?

For me I had planned on matchy matchy :)

If you put a circuit that is currently on a 15A onto the MTS, you also want a 15A to cover that circuit on the MTS. If your circuit is on a 30A, you want a 30, etc. The total amperage of all the CBs combined is likely to exceed the output of your Genny, the CBs exist to protect the individual circuits and the equipment on them, not the generator.
With the standard CBs you can generate the two pole tied circuits for the well pump or an AC as needed. You may not be able to run the well pump with the AC, you would toggle between the two if that is the case

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Since there's so much knowledge in this thread, I was wondering if there is anyone local to Mechanicsville, that services the electrical side of portable generators. We had a customer bring in a Generac 5500 for ethanol exorcism and I always test the outlets once the unit is running, and got nothing. I visually checked for damage, as this particular unit came in with a broken petcock. Everything looks good and all the breakers are in the go position. I hate to give it back in this condition, but I'm not in the position to pull it apart and learn as I go. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

As a side note: If you shell out the money for a portable generator, for the love of God, spend a few extra dollars on ethanol-free gasoline and some Stabil. If the #### doesn't eat away the aluminum in the carburetor, it generally turns into molasses and jams all the jet holes. I'm SO sick of the smell of rotten fuel...

nutz

That reminds me of the time back in '81 when the EMC and I went down to Key West to scavenge spare parts from a Diver class salvage tug that the Navy had recently decommissioned. Just before we went onboard, one of the civilians in charge asked us to remove any "glow in the dark" disks we come across. We fond them mainly on watertight switch boxes.

Later after we were finished, I asked the Chief why we were removing these disks. Without any hesitation he said, "Because they are radioactive."

:shocking:

was he stepping away from you as he was talking? :lmao:

nutz

Last edited:

buddscreek

Since there's so much knowledge in this thread, I was wondering if there is anyone local to Mechanicsville, that services the electrical side of portable generators. We had a customer bring in a Generac 5500 for ethanol exorcism and I always test the outlets once the unit is running, and got nothing. I visually checked for damage, as this particular unit came in with a broken petcock. Everything looks good and all the breakers are in the go position. I hate to give it back in this condition, but I'm not in the position to pull it apart and learn as I go. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

As a side note: If you shell out the money for a portable generator, for the love of God, spend a few extra dollars on ethanol-free gasoline and some Stabil. If the #### doesn't eat away the aluminum in the carburetor, it generally turns into molasses and jams all the jet holes. I'm SO sick of the smell of rotten fuel...

wengers motor service on bishop road

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thank you. I send people there all the time for starters that we can't get through our supplier. Never crossed my mind.

glhs837

Power with Control
Thank you. I send people there all the time for starters that we can't get through our supplier. Never crossed my mind.

Hmm, wonder how much it might cost to have him rework some of the BMW starters seem to be starting a collection of around here.

black dog

Free America
Hmm, wonder how much it might cost to have him rework some of the BMW starters seem to be starting a collection of around here.

I had them rebuild a Perkins starter along with rewiring two 2hp Baldor motors a few years back.
No complaints here. The Weedbender ( Budds Creek ) above pointed me there..

glhs837

Power with Control
I had them rebuild a Perkins starter along with rewiring two 2hp Baldor motors a few years back.
No complaints here. The Weedbender ( Budds Creek ) above pointed me there..

Ballpark on the starter rebuild (Understanding that there are levels to this thing from a simple clean and brush replacement to replacing bearings and other more in deoth stuff.

black dog

Free America
Ballpark on the starter rebuild (Understanding that there are levels to this thing from a simple clean and brush replacement to replacing bearings and other more in deoth stuff.

Mine was a Perkins marine starter and I did a total rebuild for maintenance.
New brushes, bushings, bendix and a new solenoid.. It's been a few years, but I don't believe in was over 80 or 90 bucks with factory parts...
I don't remember crying when I paid there bills.. when they rewound those motors they were FAST,. Like two days and done..

glhs837

Power with Control
Mine was a Perkins marine starter and I did a total rebuild for maintenance.
New brushes, bushings, bendix and a new solenoid.. It's been a few years, but I don't believe in was over 80 or 90 bucks with factory parts...
I don't remember crying when I paid there bills.. when they rewound those motors they were FAST,. Like two days and done..

Think I'll toss them in the back of the Jeep next time I'm headed that way. Tossed the old starter back in the project 98 BMW convertible, but since I have time, might as well put a refreshed one in there since replacing them is a bit of a bother.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I would load them up and take a Saturday drive, if I were you. They are honest for sure. A buddy needed to borrow my huge angle grinder, but it let loose some smoke the last time I had used it. They disassembled, blew out the bondo dust and returned it, no charge.

glhs837

Power with Control
I would load them up and take a Saturday drive, if I were you. They are honest for sure. A buddy needed to borrow my huge angle grinder, but it let loose some smoke the last time I had used it. They disassembled, blew out the bondo dust and returned it, no charge.

Yeah, toss them into the trunk of the bike and roll.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Tis why I bought a Champion dual fuel, will run it on propane.

glhs837

Power with Control
Tis why I bought a Champion dual fuel, will run it on propane.

and thats why I bought a propane, and will again when I upgrade. The ability to store fuel for basically indefinite periods and the knowledge that my sturff WILL run makes the differnce in power/dollar well worth it. Went and filled 2 20s and a 40 last night

Which brings up another consideration:

I have a gas genny, and have been looking at propane conversion kits. They are available, but cost between $150-$200 for my Honda 3500. I only spent $350 on it used. The other thing I'm finding is that the conversion kits (technically adapter kits as these just bolt on and you don't modify the carb...) add about an inch to the depth of the carb attachment, requiring that you cut and modify the frame to accommodate the adapter.

For me, not worth the time or effort or cost right now. Mine runs well, I use Marine Stabil, and run the carb dry after each use, have never had a problem, always starts first pull.

Point is, if you are even remotely considering propane, buy a genny already equipped for propane.

black dog

Free America
and thats why I bought a propane, and will again when I upgrade. The ability to store fuel for basically indefinite periods and the knowledge that my sturff WILL run makes the differnce in power/dollar well worth it. Went and filled 2 20s and a 40 last night

I would suggest you invest in a couple of 100 lb'ers.. Three mules will fill or exchange them.
They also will drop off and pick up exchanges or fills.. Them Oliver boys are the Shizzle, especially that pretty one Benny...
#Gilhopesbennyswifestartsdelivering

For those running propane gennys, how big is your genny and how long does 20lbs last under, say.... 50% duty cycle?

glhs837

Power with Control
I would suggest you invest in a couple of 100 lb'ers.. Three mules will fill or exchange them.
They also will drop off and pick up exchanges or fills.. Them Oliver boys are the Shizzle, especially that pretty one Benny...
#Gilhopesbennyswifestartsdelivering

I expect to, wife just got hit with the replacement cost for the main heat pump unit to the tune of a bit north of $3500. Once I get the hardwire installed, then I'll approach the larger bottles after that sting wears off :) When we redo the kitchen, I plan on adding a 120 gallon or 150 gallon tank since that upgrade will bring the gas range into play. Bummer is, the kitchens on one side of the house, while the place I plan on adding the generator plug is on the opposite side. Since that location is closest to the mechaincal room where the main panel is, and also acoustically isolated by being on the other side of the 25x25 sunroom and down a floor, it's a great place for the genny.

Related note, when deciding where to set up for your generator, think about noise and exhaust fumes in addition to the mechaincs of hooking it up. If that sweet 10 foot cord means you need to have the unit right under the bedromm window, mabye that 20 foot cord that allows you to get the unit around the corner is worth the extra cost. How easy is it to get fuel to and from? Since my location is going to be at the end of the lower driveway next to the garage door, piece of cake. Were I to put it in back of the house where the ground slopes down and away from the house, horsing 100lb clyinders would be a bear.