Geraldo Canceled By the Five

glhs837

Power with Control
That’s wonderful. 68 million cars were sold, globally. Most people aren’t convinced.

I’ve said it plenty. Make it BETTER. “Almost” as good won’t work with me. And Geraldo effectively pointed out the most important point. Lots of very expensive cars get sold each year but your average car owner doesn’t spend that kind of cash on them.

Make it BETTER. I can go 400 miles on a tank of gas, easy, and can refuel in about two minutes. This car can and has done a lot and hasn’t given me any trouble. Not yet anyway. Persuade me. The things that make a vehicle purchase attractive to me - not seeing it.
They cant convince you, not yet. 400 miles and affordable simply isn't there. I suspect the 25K car will arrive with 300 miles, I think its weight and newer battery tech will get that. But they dont need to convince all 68 million people. Just more than the 3-4 million they convinced last year. That's part of the math. That most of the cars they sell sell others. One reason Tesla doesn't spend a dime on advertising. They count on word of mouth.

About the average car owner.

The average selling price for a new non-luxury car in December was a record $45,578, up almost $1,000 over November. The average selling price of a new pickup was even greater, at over $59,000, and was even higher if we look at Ford's best-selling F-series. In December, Ford sold more than 75,000 F-series trucks at an average sales price of $66,451, KBB reports.

Advertisement

A note about refill in two minutes. If +90% of your driving is local, and your refill time is about a minute each day, since you simply plug in when you get home and unplug in the am, which means that 50 weeks out of the year, you spend less time filling up. And of course you save the time you would have spent taking your car in for an oil change or two, or changing it yourself. So there are aspects beyond Supercharging vs Sheetz.

What does 400 vs 300 mean day to day? On a day to day basis unless you are an edge case, it means you only fill up at a gas station three times a month vs two times at most. If you fill up at home every night, that difference between 300-400 doesn't mean anything. Now, you take 1,200-2,000 mile road rips once or twice a year, you spend extra time fueling up. How much depends on a lot of factors.

Everybody is different, but like the grid capacity, if it takes time, thats fine. More time for the grip and more time for the products to improve. If the Cybertruck delivers with the price, range and capabilities I expect, it will do me just fine.

SamSpade

New cars are more expensive, although I'm having a hard time finding median car sales price (which is only the same as average in a perfect bell curve, which I'm pretty sure it isn't).

But used cars outsell new cars - normally only about 2.5 to 1 but lately a lot closer to 3 to 1. My current SUV I bought with low miles, just three years old - and a lot less than your average car price. I typically buy a new car about every 9-12 years - and I expect I will always buy used. Every new car I've ever bought - even with an increasing salary - has cost a larger percentage of my annual salary.

With the exception of my present home, and my last home - every home I've lived in as an adult did not have a garage. I am assuming that charging stations don't need to be inside one? None of the houses I lived in, in a city, had a garage. Heck, I was lucky to ever find street parking within a block of my home.

And what I've said bears repeating - make it better. This thread was about Geraldo - and how he's out of touch with what average Americans can buy. Remember during the pandemic, really rich celebrities were saying, hey, just stay home, have fun, enjoy life inside your huge sprawling estate. Open your expensive extra freezer loaded with just expensive ice cream. That's the point of the thread. New expensive cars are out of reach for most Americans. Median household income is around 70k. A 45k dollar car is just a bit much.

glhs837

Power with Control
I understand, and as more of them get sold, more enter the used market where you are shopping. Of course, lots of folks have questions about the long term viability of the batteries. Initial data looks good, but the gold standard battery packs, the Model 3 and Y cells, both 2170 and the newer structural 4680 packs simply haven't been around long enough. Mid 2018 before the Model 3 started in mass production, Model Y 2020. I think in 4-5 more years we'll have enough high mileage packs to tell. Non-cylindrical cell packs, I think wont stand up long term. But thats just my opinion.

As for charging, weatherproof chargers are available. I have a garage, but I dont think the CT will fit. PLus one o the perks of that steel body is that the elements wont hurt it.

Amazon product

I'm waiting to see how this product pans out, as it would certainly save a lot of folks some expensive cable running.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm waiting to see how this product pans out, as it would certainly save a lot of folks some expensive cable running.
Well, maybe not. It's a good idea and will save a few $ on a new breaker install, but the meter isn't always near the where the EV will be charged, so a more expensive extension from the meter to the charge point will be needed, and routed around the outside of the building where it may not be pretty or even feasible.

Hijinx

I buy used and when I am done with it, it does not go back into the market it goes to the dump.
I drive them till the wheels fall off.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, maybe not. It's a good idea and will save a few $ on a new breaker install, but the meter isn't always near the where the EV will be charged, so a more expensive extension from the meter to the charge point will be needed, and routed around the outside of the building where it may not be pretty or even feasible.
Well like any product it won't be for everybody. One aspect you might find of interest is it also apparently can function as a solar power input point. At my house it's about 8 to 10 feet away from the meter to the edge of the driveway or at park . At my rental house the meter is literally two feet away from the driveway.

glhs837

Power with Control
I buy used and when I am done with it, it does not go back into the market it goes to the dump.
I drive them till the wheels fall off.
Well then how would you feel about a used car you can easily drive until it hits a half million miles or more. No oil changes. Maybe one brake pad change over the course of its life? No coolant change to worry about because while it does have coolant, it's not subjected to the extremes that you see in an internal combustion environment. Check in in a few years.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'll just drop this right here for now.

Hydrogen? By the time you make it and ship it and store it, its cost you more than gas. And unlike batteries, it doesnt burn, it explodes. How much dead weight do you need for those safety systems? Here's the current status of all of the hydrogen filling stations in CA, the only state with enough to bother counting.

glhs837

Power with Control
No comment?

For the same reason I waited til the Pixel watch to buy a smart watch. I have a set of requirements and am willing to wait for the right product to come along. That product is the Cybertruck, which I do have a preorder in on. I think I've mentioned it before. Last vehicle purchase was the wifes, and while she looked at and test drove a Tesla, it wasnt what she wanted. Her choice.

Hijinx

Well then how would you feel about a used car you can easily drive until it hits a half million miles or more. No oil changes. Maybe one brake pad change over the course of its life? No coolant change to worry about because while it does have coolant, it's not subjected to the extremes that you see in an internal combustion environment. Check in in a few years.
The car you are thinking about does not exist now and I will probably be dead by the time it does. The Jetson's is a cartoon.