Geraldo Canceled By the Five

glhs837

Power with Control
The car you are thinking about does not exist now and I will probably be dead by the time it does. The Jetson's is a cartoon.

We shall see. Design life of he Tesla body is 500K. Current batteries 300k. Optimized 4680s 500k. As I noted, it will be a few years before we get to see how well they met those goals. Heck, even if they only hit 300K, that's beyond what most folks would consider a normal vehicles lifespan.

SamSpade

The car you are thinking about does not exist now and I will probably be dead by the time it does. The Jetson's is a cartoon.
On a similar note, I will also probably be dead before the EV I want to see ever comes about. And I would not be surprised if it actually arrives one day.

All joking aside, I've yet to use anything running on batteries that works better than one either running on gas - such as a leaf blower, weed eater or lawn mower - or directly on power from the wall - such as drills, circular saws and so forth.

Funny thing is, my first leaf blower, first lawn mower, first weed eater - they were all corded electric. Because that's all I could afford at the time.
My little one third acre plot in Lusby was a bitch trying to mow, because I had to toss that damned extension everywhere, and it jammed easily.
Leaf blower was - ok - and I still have it, after more than twenty years. Mostly I use it to clear the driveway and sidewalks.

But oh what a difference gas made - with a gas powered leaf blower, I felt like I'd unleashed a hurricane. A gas powered mower, felt like a team of Clydesdales by comparison. Suddenly it didn't take five minutes to blow the leaves off the porch - more like ten SECONDS. I didn't have to take longer to cut higher grass (which previously would take several attempts).

Admittedly battery powered drills are much better all the time, although the way I typically care for my tools, when I need to use one, chances are good it has NOT been charged the whole time. The one that plugs into the wall always is ready.

It's true that there was a long wait for cars to become universally used - and the first ones available looked more like powered wagons.
And resistance to the idea had some of the same roadblocks - cost being the biggest one. Most of the first ones cost more than a man made in a year. There was also cost to maintain, repair - and back then, roads weren't exactly accommodating to car tires.

But people didn't require government intervention prohibiting the sale of horse buggies or cash incentives. People bought them because at last, it was an improvement.

Hijinx

What was that movie called, Oh yes!1 Field of Dreams. If you build it they will come?

Certainly that is right, If they build such a car and make it affordable they will buy it. I will buy it.

And they won't need some dipsh*t forcing me to buy it either.

That is the complaint. Trying to force people into buying something that does not now exist by causing an energy-economic crisis on a nation and it's middle class citizens is BULLSH*T

SamSpade

I've heard good things about Joe DiMaggios Mr. Fusion. :yay:
I've seen all kinds of clever ideas for cars. Not long ago, there were ideas for cars that ran on PRESSURIZED AIR. That's right. Very few working parts and the undercarriage would carry two very large cannisters of pressurized air.

There's still the LENR technology which I don't believe will ever appear - but the idea of LENR cars I think is a pipe dream.

Hijinx

I've seen all kinds of clever ideas for cars. Not long ago, there were ideas for cars that ran on PRESSURIZED AIR. That's right. Very few working parts and the undercarriage would carry two very large cannisters of pressurized air.

There's still the LENR technology which I don't believe will ever appear - but the idea of LENR cars I think is a pipe dream.
The Amish use a lot of pressurized air tools. Of course they have a Diesel Engine there to provide the air.

Clem72

“I was gonna buy an EV Bentley,” Rivera said on Wednesday’s episode of The Five. “They offered me a $7,500 rebate. I said, I don’t need the $7,500.”

“Thank God you connect with our audience,” Gutfeld said, hinting at what was to come later in the segment.
I watched that segment when it was posted here. Of course I completely missed the fact that this is an out an out lie. No $250k EV qualifies for any subsidies. The highest vehicle cost that qualifies is 80k for an SUV.

SamSpade

What was that movie called, Oh yes!1 Field of Dreams. If you build it they will come?
You're not far off. The response to John Kennedy's question to David Turk about spending 50 TRILLION DOLLARS and he cannot answer how much it will lower global temperature. NOT EVEN a ball park guess. His response is, it's a global phenomenon -

And this is where I lost it -

"There's no way the world reaches carbon neutrality unless the U.S. takes the lead".

Riiight. I can't WAIT to see the likes of China, India, Russia and others follow our lead off the green energy cliff. And that's what it is. Spending an utterly obscene amount of money which - if they DON'T follow our example - might as well be BURNED.

That is not the way you do things. At very minimum, you do some market analysis - you do SOME test cases - you build a reliable case that it will happen. Just TRY and get some rich venture capitalists to invest in that kind of plan.

You can only throw caution to the wind - when it's not your money.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
NOT EVEN a ball park guess. His response is, it's a global phenomenon -

the arrogance that these people think they can affect Global Climate is ridiculous .. CO2 and Temperatures are cyclical with Sun spot Activity

increased solar activity warms the oceans releasing trapped CO2 .... when the solar activity is reduced the oceans cool and CO2 once more becomes trapped

yes locally cutting back on CO2 makes city air better like LA, where the bowl traps gasses ...
not flooding rivers with toxic waste or raw sewage cleans up the local river

these are NOT Global concerns

Clem72

the arrogance that these people think they can affect Global Climate is ridiculous ..

The ozone layer thing seemed to be true. A global climate issue that was man made and mostly fixed. Though it was a lot more straightforward cause and effect.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've been busy working on a nuclear-powered car. My enthusiasm for the project must be obvious...so many people have commented that I'm just glowing these days.
There used to be a saying when they were building a nuke in my home town.

"HELL NO! WE WON'T GLOW!!"

SamSpade

The Amish use a lot of pressurized air tools. Of course they have a Diesel Engine there to provide the air.
I once took my son to an Amish farm when he was a Cub Scout to see them milk cows. They used a pressurized gizmo to do it too - except it was being pressurized BY HAND. Lot of work.

SamSpade

The ozone layer thing seemed to be true. A global climate issue that was man made and mostly fixed. Though it was a lot more straightforward cause and effect.
Agreed. What made that much easier to solve was, the substitution was mostly painless. Kind of like replacing styrofoam containers at McDonald's.

SamSpade

There used to be a saying when they were building a nuke in my home town.

"HELL NO! WE WON'T GLOW!!"
I was well on my way to being a nuke engineer when Three Mile Island happened. That and the movie China Syndrome caused me to switch majors.

NOT because I bought into that crap. I knew and still know, nukes are still the cleanest energy out there, and we have potentially a limitless supply, depending on what technology is exploited.

No, I knew that popular opinion would kill the industry. If I'm not mistaken, Seabrook was the last NEW nuke plant to open, just about six years later.

BTW - we STILL have more nukes generating electricity than any nation in the world. I just think it's amazing we've had a nuke FLEET operating for decades without incident.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My issue with nukes is the waste byproducts and storage. If the waste could be put on a rocket and sent to the sun for disposal, I'd be happy with a nuke.

But that will never happen. "What happens if the rocket explodes?" "Adding nuke waste to the sun will cause an increase in solar flares!"

Tech

They didn't know about the ozone hole until the 1980s, after they sent a satellite up. Was it always there? Does it ebb and grow periodically? It might have shrunk but is that normal?