Girl Gifts

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Need advice, and it's gonna be tough. Hopefully I can get an IDEA. I'm posting as my old alter ego Frank so that Bluejay won't see. Not that she doesn't check EVERYTHING.

I have only a vague idea of what to get her for Christmas. Gadgets are mostly OUT - she has an iPod and several accessories - ditto digital camera, phot printer and so on - she loves her TiVo. And she has the most kick-azz cell phone/PDA and laptop I've ever seen. If there's a gadget out there she'd want, I sure haven't heard of it.

Clothes are probably out - she is rapidly losing weight, and anything I buy her that isn't gloves or a hat will probably not fit her in a year - or less.

Jewelry ISN'T out - but after three years, I can't for the life of me guess her jewelry tastes. She likes to MAKE costume jewelry and I can't figure out that stuff at all. Anything else I've bought her in the past, she's answered "Frank, I already HAVE one of those". So while they're a good idea, I'm not sure if my tastes are going to measure up.

Can't get anything that isn't - FOR HER. No kids' stuff, dog stuff, stuff we'll both use.

She's already "bought" two of her presents already - she asked for them and then ordered them - two long leather coats. She's getting more, but I need ideas.

Can you think of something YOU would like - even if it's something small? Like me, she doesn't mind lots of small presents if they're something she'll like.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Does she have any kind of movies that she really likes? You could get her some DVD's. Is she in to the girly smelly stuff? If so, order her "Falling in Love" from Philosophy. That stuff smells divine. :yay: You could also pre-pay for a weekend get away type deal. :shrug:

J

julz20684

Frank said:
Need advice, and it's gonna be tough. Hopefully I can get an IDEA. I'm posting as my old alter ego Frank so that Bluejay won't see. Not that she doesn't check EVERYTHING.

I have only a vague idea of what to get her for Christmas. Gadgets are mostly OUT - she has an iPod and several accessories - ditto digital camera, phot printer and so on - she loves her TiVo. And she has the most kick-azz cell phone/PDA and laptop I've ever seen. If there's a gadget out there she'd want, I sure haven't heard of it.

Clothes are probably out - she is rapidly losing weight, and anything I buy her that isn't gloves or a hat will probably not fit her in a year - or less.

Jewelry ISN'T out - but after three years, I can't for the life of me guess her jewelry tastes. She likes to MAKE costume jewelry and I can't figure out that stuff at all. Anything else I've bought her in the past, she's answered "Frank, I already HAVE one of those". So while they're a good idea, I'm not sure if my tastes are going to measure up.

Can't get anything that isn't - FOR HER. No kids' stuff, dog stuff, stuff we'll both use.

She's already "bought" two of her presents already - she asked for them and then ordered them - two long leather coats. She's getting more, but I need ideas.

Can you think of something YOU would like - even if it's something small? Like me, she doesn't mind lots of small presents if they're something she'll like.

Perfume, candles, smelly bath stuff, Xmas decor (blankets, pillows, etc.), DVDs, music CDs

J

julz20684

Christy said:
Does she have any kind of movies that she really likes? You could get her some DVD's. Is she in to the girly smelly stuff? If so, order her "Falling in Love" from Philosophy. That stuff smells divine. :yay: You could also pre-pay for a weekend get away type deal. :shrug:

My Favorite: Victoria's Secret, Very Sexy For Her 2 Sheer Sexy Mist

J

julz20684

jwwb2000 said:
How about a gift card to Sephora? This way she can pick out what she would like.

Ooohhh, good idea! Oh wait, these gifts aren't for me, I guess I don't need to get that excited.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Christy said:

This helps - I know she has a few girlie shows she likes but can't watch often - she used to love "McLeod's Daughters" (an Australian soap) but it's not on anymore. And I know she wants to see some movie called somebody something must die! about some guy two, three and four timing a bunch of women. Which is good, because I really don't want to see it myself.

I may have to pry about for bath type stuff - like a lot of women, there's stuff she likes - and stuff she don't.

Good ideas.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
julz20684 said:
Perfume, candles, smelly bath stuff, Xmas decor (blankets, pillows, etc.), DVDs, music CDs

Ah, music CD's. I bought her a couple Josh Groban(sp?) last year - she likes Brooks and Dunn - and Shaggy - and the Judds. Hmmm. I'll peek at her iPod. She's got the most diverse music interest. Just when I think I've got it figured out - I find out she likes OLD Aerosmith too.

Perfume's tough - but she likes Lancome stuff.

She could use better pillow covers - hers are falling apart.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
jwwb2000 said:
How about a gift card to Sephora? This way she can pick out what she would like.

I might be the only one on the planet that feels this way - but I basically don't like gift cards, receiving or giving - unless the alternative is NOTHING. That's partly because the gift card isn't worth one cent more in the store where it's used, so it's actually WORSE than cash, since it can only be spent in one place. I give gift cards when I'm really stuck and can't think of anything or as in the case of one couple we know - they actually WANT them (we bought them Outback gift cards).

I wish I was more handy - the nicest present I ever got was a baseball bat my little brother MADE FOR ME. It probably wasn't expensive but I needed one and he actually took the time to make it for me. I've done that twice for people, and their reaction was - eh.

I did once get Bluejay a gift card - to a spa.

I need to pay more attention throughout the year to stuff she likes but DOESN'T actually buy right away.

CandyRain

Frank said:

Diamonds are a girl's best friend. Either get something made for her or get her one of the new pieces that are out.

http://www.booneandsons.com/index.php?page=rings&categoryid=9

And you can never go wrong with a watch. :yay:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Frank said:
Perfume's tough - but she likes Lancome stuff.

I don't know anyone who has not liked the smell of Falling in Love, it's not over powering. QVC has a deal for the perfume, bath gel, and lotion for like $30 (give or take a few bucks). That's what I bought originally just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm hoping to have some bigger bottles under the tree this year. :whistle: :lol:

Does she like Sex in the City? Target has the entire series, all in one big group (rather than buying every season). The Notebook is always a good chick flick to own.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
CandyRain said:
Diamonds are a girl's best friend. Either get something made for her or get her one of the new pieces that are out.

http://www.booneandsons.com/index.php?page=rings&categoryid=9

And you can never go wrong with a watch. :yay:

Yikes. If I had 2500 bucks, I could probably just give her cash, and she'd go wild.

Watch seems ok. She has a REALLY nice one she wears. I suspect it's valuable because she takes it off and puts it away rather often.

I thought about accessories for her new bike - she's pretty excited about it, now that she actually has one. But I don't want the accessory to be a baby carrier - that's not a present for her.

Ok, keep them coming - the old brain is beginning to hatch ideas....

Christy

b*tch rocket
You could also get her a gift certificate for Merry Maids. It's always nice to have someone else come in and clean your house. :shrug:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Christy said:
Does she like Sex in the City? Target has the entire series, all in one big group (rather than buying every season). The Notebook is always a good chick flick to own.

Yes she does, and that would be a good choice. She likes Gilmore Girls, Seventh Heaven and Everwood, and I know she was a fan of Roswell, Charmed and - damn. I was gonna say Dawson's Creek but I'm not sure now. She also loves Grey's Anatomy, but she's got a really good memory and it's fairly recent past.

She loves to read - but - she's read SO MUCH in the genre she likes - murder mysteries and thrillers - I'd have to get something NEW. Still, we're going on a long trip to Russia and she might like SOMETHING.

She also likes stamping and scrapbooking, but I did stuff for her two years ago, and her reaction was - eh. Because she had almost all of it already.

What do you get someone who already has everything?

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Christy said:
The Notebook is always a good chick flick to own.

Well it sure beats Saw III and Texas Chainsaw Massacre - at least for her. But she does get to see most girlie movies when they come out, and "The Notebook" and "The Lake House" were two she went out with girlfriends to go see. Buying them now would just be masochistic, since she'd just watch them again so I could see them too.

I should drop by Blockbuster to remind myself of movies I said no to.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Frank said:
She loves to read - but - she's read SO MUCH in the genre she likes - murder mysteries and thrillers - I'd have to get something NEW. Still, we're going on a long trip to Russia and she might like SOMETHING.

Buy her the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonovich. :yay: They have 1-11 (in paperback) at Target. They are hysterical! She'd definitely dig them. They are laugh out loud funny. http://www.evanovich.com/novels.html#plum

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Christy said:
Buy her the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonovich. :yay: They have 1-11 (in paperback) at Target. They are hysterical! She'd definitely dig them. They are laugh out loud funny. http://www.evanovich.com/novels.html#plum

Those look like the kind of stuff she'd like - and I'm fairly certain she hasn't read them.

Now I'm weird this way but - I know in Russia I'm gonna be bored to tears but I know I can't possibly carry a dozen books around - which is why I've been looking at eBooks for my Palm. But I don't think she'd read stuff on her Treo even if it were books out loud.

Wait a minute. Do they make books on tape - for iPod? Man that would be awesome if they did.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Frank said:
Wait a minute. Do they make books on tape - for iPod? Man that would be awesome if they did.
They sure do. :yay: You can download them directly from iTunes, or buy the conventional audiobooks and upload them to iTunes.