Give Heroin to Friend; Friends Dies; You do 6 Years

BernieP

Resident PIA
In the methadone programs, we already give them the drug to be protected from the physical withdrawal effects. They frequently still go out and shoot up heroin in addition to their methadone for no other reason than them being junkies looking for a high.

It has always been harmful, but yes over the years the potency of pot in circulation has increased 2-3x.

Putting addicts in jail doesn't fix the problem.

1. Methadone clinics are a start, but it only deals with the physical side effects of the addiction. Because of the legal liability the number of psychiatrists have dropped in MD and those that do still practice will often refuse to treat people with a drug or alcohol dependency problem.

2. And legalizing it hasn't stopped people from growing and selling it "off the books". In some areas it's actually caused bigger problems. For example, Colorado legalized pot, but Idaho did not. But with a market over the state line, you have illegal growers in Idaho competing for the market. Like all "off the book" activities normal rules of conduct don't always apply.

3. No it does not, I was being sarcastic. But we are really short on the resources to address the problem. In the mean time, we let a cheap product keep rolling into the country. Want to guess how much of these drugs get carried into this "Sanctuary" state by illegal crossings of the US/Mexico border?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Kid gave kid heroin. Kid died. Giving kid heroin is illegal. When you do that, you risk going to jail if kid dies.

NO. You risk consequences for selling an illegal substance. Applying your logic - the seller of an illegal substance should not face consequences as long as the buyer doesn't die. :crazy:

Throughout this tread YOU have stated in various ways that someone who gives someone else drugs should go to jail if that person dies.

I disagreed. I used the terminology of selling those drugs, which is not what happened in the case being referenced in this thread, however, the sentiment is the same. If someone distributes drugs to someone else who dies - then I think they should only serve jail time for distribution. NOT for someone dying because of that distribution.

I understand that the case referenced in this thread is for distribution and not selling heroin. I was commenting on YOUR comment above.

BigBlue

NO. You risk consequences for selling an illegal substance.:

I think we all agree to this ,where the disagreement comes is your understanding of criminal charges .The person giving the other person the "illegal drugs" is a accessory whether directly or indirectly and can be given time for that in his association with the victim's death.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I think we all agree to this ,where the disagreement comes is your understanding of criminal charges .The person giving the other person the "illegal drugs" is a accessory whether directly or indirectly and can be given time for that in his association with the victim's death.

I don't have a misunderstanding. I disagree with the premise that because someone gave (sold) illegal drugs to someone else who then died, then the person giving the drugs should be held responsible with jail time.

BigBlue

I don't have a misunderstanding. I disagree with the premise that because someone gave (sold) illegal drugs to someone else who then died, then the person giving the drugs should be held responsible with jail time.

Ok , so you don't agree with it I understand but do you think the victim's Family will feel the same way :coffee:

officeguy

1. Methadone clinics are a start, but it only deals with the physical side effects of the addiction. Because of the legal liability the number of psychiatrists have dropped in MD and those that do still practice will often refuse to treat people with a drug or alcohol dependency problem.

Right, but methadone programs prove that it is not the physical withdrawal that keeps people to go back and use, it is the quest of the next high.

2. And legalizing it hasn't stopped people from growing and selling it "off the books". In some areas it's actually caused bigger problems. For example, Colorado legalized pot, but Idaho did not. But with a market over the state line, you have illegal growers in Idaho competing for the market. Like all "off the book" activities normal rules of conduct don't always apply.

It is naive to think that just because pot is decriminalized or even sold in stores that the narco cartels are going to switch to growing coffee or avocados. With the high degree of regulation in all the states that have legal pot, it is near certain that there will still be a large illegal market.

3. No it does not, I was being sarcastic. But we are really short on the resources to address the problem. In the mean time, we let a cheap product keep rolling into the country. Want to guess how much of these drugs get carried into this "Sanctuary" state by illegal crossings of the US/Mexico border?

If I had to guess only a small percentage. By tonnage, the largest portion comes in via shipping container or by the semi load. Truck is declared to contain a shipment of almonds, first 10ft are loaded with almonds the rest bundles of pot.

digitallest

http://ethics.harvard.edu/blog/new-prescription-drugs-major-health-risk-few-offsetting-advantages

I found this to be very interesting, and informative. The drug war has brought about a new set of problems, and behind this war lurks the combined agendas of lumber, cotton, pharmaceutical companies, just a whole bunch of profits being protected. Plus, this war serves the needs of those in government who believe we are a little too free, and need someone to tell us what not to do.